Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Was speaking to my mate about the funnier quirks of some of our grounds in Scotland and we got talking about how at Alloa, unless you're playing Sevco, the fans change ends at half time too. And the fact that at certain games, there's a guy who works as a steward who'll let fans nip out to get something from KFC. So, what's yours?

Probably annoying to those who go there to Ochilview but I find it funny how the stewards seriously guard that boundary wall between the pitch and the supporters area where fans get their food and drink near the entrance. Always tempting for those not aware to go and lean on that wall watching the players warm up while having a cup of tea, stewards like a bit of leaning, but if you have the nerve to go and sit on it this gives them justification to try and eject you from the ground. Woe betide anyone who does this when the match is being played, you would probably get tied up and bundled into a van.

I've seen this wall guarding happen its almost obsessive and I was quite partial to teasing them at the couple of games I was there, like walking in a nonchalant manner over to the wall, of course pay no attention to them, make as if you are going to do a bit of leaning or about to put your cup of tea on their wall, but then at the last second change your mind and look somewhere far away as if something has caught your eye and walk away from the wall, then turn around and repeat. You can feel those eyes on the back of your head, just waiting, just waiting.

Edited by CityDave

8 minutes ago, energyzone said:

The empty land behind the Falkirk Stadium, opposite the main stand.  It's a really nice stadium, inside and out, but loses a lot of atmosphere because of the absence of a stand on that side.

Is that your favourite or a main criticism?

Its hard to find anything nice and quirky about new modern stadiums, many nice ones still to grow a personality but not much in the way of quirky. Loss of quirky football grounds further down the leagues, some of these Junior grounds are something else. Lochee Utd for example probably set the bar when it comes to quirkyness.

18 minutes ago, energyzone said:

The empty land behind the Falkirk Stadium, opposite the main stand.  It's a really nice stadium, inside and out, but loses a lot of atmosphere because of the absence of a stand on that side.

I've been told by quite a few folk in the know that the 4th stand hasn't been built because it's within the blast zone of a major incident at Grangemouth Chemicals. The rest of the stadium and the line that marks the boundary goes through it.

When I visit Central Park I always stand in the same spot, the sweet spot. There's probably about 6 square foot of terracing at Central Park where you can be as close to the pitch as you can get, see all four corners of the pitch without any obstacle like the track boundary fence in your vision field and happy days - get an unspoiled view of the football match.

I've been told by quite a few folk in the know that the 4th stand hasn't been built because it's within the blast zone of a major incident at Grangemouth Chemicals. The rest of the stadium and the line that marks the boundary goes through it.

It was for a while but they have relaxed the blast zone rules. The 4th stand was originally planned to have equipment in it to train chemical engineers and oil workers in a joint venture between forth valley college and the BP. But the blast zone delayed it and by the time the rule was relaxed the college had lost its EU funding and the plan was scrapped

On 28/08/2016 at 10:10, LANG TOON SAINTIE said:

Brechin has it's hedge but is McDiarmid park the only stadium with trees growing inside it ?? 

There's something weird about that stand behind the goal at Glebe Park, but I can't remember what it is.

edit: there is a small hill in front of the stand. Its almost like the stand is sitting on a low platform.

Brechin City v Forfar Ath 26 Aug 06 (3).jpg

Edited by CityDave

On 28/08/2016 at 10:19, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

There can't be many grounds in the football world with a double-decker bus and a sand pit inside their stadium.

Fir Park had a sand pit for a couple of years. :)

NDP is up there with giving us something  a bit different with the design of the stands, I like them.

Fir Park, that unfinished Main Stand.

Hamilton Accies v Partick Thistle, 16 Sept 06.jpg

Image result for fir park motherwell

Edited by CityDave

Back in the days of grounds having mostly terracing, my dad would always want us to sit in the stand so for a lot of years it was interesting seeing the different seating areas. Raith and Dundee Utd both had those weird L shaped stands which I liked but always imagined would look great if they extended further round. Tannadice in particular was impressive since it hangs over the road outside. It's a shame the seats were uncomfortable and had no legroom.

The best bit about East End Park before the new stands came up was the dressing room doors leading out to the pitch with a little set of stairs between them and the playing surface. It was expecially neat if you sat in the stand because you could tell by the roar from the cage that the players were coming out before you could see them. 

These days, I like the fact that the front row at NDP is high up with the toilets and coffee bar beneath - you're going to get a good view wherever you sit and you can see the game while waiting for food and drink. 

On 28/08/2016 at 11:30, Bairnardo said:

I always used to laugh at the boys hanging out the window of the house that formed the backing of part of the Brockville terracing. Likewise at Starks park the houses that can see in past the wee old stand, used to get lads there watching the game baring their arses to the away fans etc.

There is a lot of quirk about Castle Starks.

Edit: Something about walking up hill to a football ground as well.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 063.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 064.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 066.jpg

Edited by CityDave

Another funny thing about Recreation Park, and probably the same at many lower league grounds, was the fact the the matchball was regularly booted out the ground. Got to the point where all the minks from Hawkhill used to line up across from the ground in the hope that a Mitre Delta would be booted over the Clackmannan Road. I also seem to remember a game in the late 80's where a ball was booted out just over the height of the stadium wall, hitting a passing double decker bus and landing back inside the stadium.

Stark's Park for having 4 stands but nowhere to watch from around the halfway line.

Tannadice for having 5 stands.

Somerset Park for being a "museum piece".

Cappielow for the brick benches at the crane end.

Pittodrie for the South Stand roof that's not as long as the South Stand (same thing at ICT).

Fir Park for having a Main Stand that's still a work in progress.

Dens for having the stand with the kink in the middle.

Firhill for the stand with the office block built in.

Cliftonhill for being in a dreadful state, having 2 rows of pillars between the seats and the pitch, and not being able to see the corners from the wings.