Fallen Out of Love with the Champions League

Estragon

I'd sooner the Big Clubs from each Nation just fucked off to form the ESL/WSL that their Chairmen and tourist fanboys so desperately want.

They don't actually want that though. They want regular games against each other but they also want utter domination domestically to keep fans onside. A "Super League" could see them going trophyless.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It should be the champions of every league plus the previous winners.

That would utterly shite.

It should be the champions of every league plus the previous winners. No dropping unto UEFA league.

Straight home and away knockout.

It's far too biased towards money.

There's two games on the TV at the same time

Man City vs Dortmund
Ludogorets vs Ferencvaros

Which one are you going to watch?

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That would utterly shite.

For a time but eventually the smaller teams would catch up. Red Star Belgrade and Ajax won it with no money and their players went onto bigger clubs. Now it's biased so much to keep the big teams rich and the smaller teams poor.

The early champions league was excellent and a truer representation of European football. It's now like a bigger version of the spl, it will get more and more stagnant and predictable until there's four or five teams dominating it.

Also there's the factor of just too many games on tv. Less is more.

Disgraceful stuff from UEFA. Completely and utterly unsurprising. Football at this level thinks it is too big to fail these days. They are of course wrong. It will take time, but the paying fan will eventually be turned off.

I'm reminded of the many suits in football who've told us that for some clubs the input of the paying fan is inconsequential compared to the customer that is the sponsor and broadcaster.

Unlike you, they don't see the flaw in this arrangement. I am steeling myself to act a little out of character when that lump of shit hits the fan. The Setanta shambles writ large.

Repeating what a lot of others have said here, I'm far from an #AMF type but it has grown stale. It used to be the case that I would watch any game of football that I could but even though I have BT the Champions League is pretty much an afterthought. If I'm not doing anything else I'll stick the Goals Show on, but the only games I actually make a point of watching on TV now are Scottish games.

There are still some tremendous CL games every now and then such as Bayern v Juventus last season, but having four guaranteed group stage places is only going to make it more stale, with such meetings becoming more common and more boring. Hopefully wildcards don't come in at any point: obviously they're going to be chasing more and more money and guaranteeing the biggest clubs a place means more money on the face of it, but while the worldwide fanbases of those clubs alone can probably sustain  the TV subscriptions and guarantee the TV companies keep putting the money in, it could backfire by driving viewers away. Obviously some people are sick of the same ties as it is - I'd happily never watch PSG v Chelsea again - but imagine how much worse it would be if wildcards were taking the number English, Italian and Spanish clubs up to six or seven every single year.

For a time but eventually the smaller teams would catch up. Red Star Belgrade and Ajax won it with no money and their players went onto bigger clubs. Now it's biased so much to keep the big teams rich and the smaller teams poor.

The early champions league was excellent and a truer representation of European football. It's now like a bigger version of the spl, it will get more and more stagnant and predictable until there's four or five teams dominating it.

Also there's the factor of just too many games on tv. Less is more.

How do you know it was better? Marshmallo's point is correct and it was something that Swampy used to point out. Nobody actually wants a "champions" league with just champions because there are plenty of bigger draws and outright more entertaining teams finishing 2nd in the big leagues than there are winning their respective leagues in Eastern Europe.

How do you know it was better? Marshmallo's point is correct and it was something that Swampy used to point out. Nobody actually wants a "champions" league with just champions because there are plenty of bigger draws and outright more entertaining teams finishing 2nd in the big leagues than there are winning their respective leagues in Eastern Europe.

It was better in that it was genuinely the "Chsmpions of Europe" and that the luck of the draw as well as the best team winning through set up genuinely unique and exciting glamour fixtures. The UEFA Cup undermined that as more of the elite leagues Clubs competed in it and the glamour fixture hapoened more often.

Its now about what a tv audience wants as opposed to what is "right" or in line with determining who's the "Champions" of Europe.

14 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Wildcards for teams like Milan and Inter Milan would be the tip of the Iceberg.

UEFA don't seem to understand that the reason they aren't in the competition is because they've been shite for fucking years.

That's effectively what they've done though. Just called it something different. If Italy dropped out of the top four coefficient places they'd just extend the guaranteed places.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

That's effectively what they've done though. Just called it something different. If Italy dropped out of the top four coefficient places they'd just extend the guaranteed places.

It's a massive leap from that to wildcards though: Milan haven't finished in the top four in three years and Inter went four years outside it prior to last season.

37 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's a massive leap from that to wildcards though: Milan haven't finished in the top four in three years and Inter went four years outside it prior to last season.

Aye, you're right. I hadn't realised the Milan clubs had been so bad in the last few years.

6 hours ago, sjc said:

It was better in that it was genuinely the "Chsmpions of Europe" and that the luck of the draw as well as the best team winning through set up genuinely unique and exciting glamour fixtures. The UEFA Cup undermined that as more of the elite leagues Clubs competed in it and the glamour fixture hapoened more often.

Its now about what a tv audience wants as opposed to what is "right" or in line with determining who's the "Champions" of Europe.

Again, Swampy and Marshmallo have pointed pointed out that if you seriously believe this then you're going to be sat glued to your screen watching Ludogorets versus Dinamo Zagreb or whoever the f**k they've drawn to play. We might sit and grumble about it not being an actual "champions" league but I'm obviously going to find Manchester City vs Napoli a much more exciting tie than Dundalk vs Apoel Nicosia.

Again, Swampy and Marshmallo have pointed pointed out that if you seriously believe this then you're going to be sat glued to your screen watching Ludogorets versus Dinamo Zagreb or whoever the f**k they've drawn to play. We might sit and grumble about it not being an actual "champions" league but I'm obviously going to find Manchester City vs Napoli a much more exciting tie than Dundalk vs Apoel Nicosia.

Why tho? Cos the ad people tell you to?? Scottish cup final with 2 2nd tier diddies was a far more exciting game than the English fa cup final with gazilionaires v gazilionaires

Watched one game last season, it was shite. Haven't seen the final in a few years, have probably watched about 5 games in as many years.

Complete saturation has wrecked the mystique of the competition and individual matchups, and the rigged format has removed much of the tension. Last time there was a final with relative minnows in it was 02/03 when Porto played Monaco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_Cup_and_UEFA_Champions_League_finals

Archived