Omitted XI

Paco

I'm far from the most critical of Gordon Strachan and in all honesty I would probably only have made a couple of changes from his squad yesterday.

The discussion around who could come in though for the most part is valid so I thought it'd be fun to put a team together.

Only real criteria is no lower Scottish Prem diddies that you usually see touted on here, aside from the goalie because I was really struggling. I've also tried not to pick players who Strachan has left out due to injury/fitness (Whittaker, Mulgrew etc) or Celtic players who either don't play enough or just don't look very good (Christie, GMS, Armstrong, McGregor).

Team could be:

Scott Bain

Donald Love Phil Bardsley Liam Cooper Stephen Kingsley

Charlie Adam Tom Cairney

Matt Phillips Shaun Maloney Ryan Fraser

Ross McCormack

Bench: Ryan Gauld, Johnny Russell, Liam Bridcutt, Lee Wallace, Jay Fulton, Craig Bryson

Omitted: Jordan Rhodes

Thoughts?

I think that would probably lose to our first pick team chosen by Strachan, but with a few injuries there wouldn't be much in it. Certainly it's better than a 'worst case scenario' team picked from the squad IMO.

Was going to do an XI but you've basically covered all the players that should be picked in the OP. The only player I'd say who you haven't included at all is Shinnie, who I'd go for at left back with Kingsley at centre back and Bardsley at right back rather than including Love.

While quite a few players there will feel they have a fair claim to a place in the squad, the only ones who I think would be in serious contention for a start had they made the squad are Bardsley, Phillips and McCormack.

What's happened to Johnnie Russell? He looked like we was going to be a player. I don't follow the English Championship, which puts me at a severe disadvantage when discussing Scotland players.

Hopefully Lee Wallace (grass!!!) can get his Scotland career back on track now he's playing at a decent level again. Could he switch to central defender or right back, or is he a left back forever?

Edit: Forget Wallace. 29 already. Russell is only 26.

Take it Armstrong is out of the picture at Celtic?

Archived