Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

There was clearly a decent City support too as was evident from the cheers when they scored.

Given they only averaged 125 or 150 or whatever it was exactly in LL last season, their crowds so far - 525 v Livingston and 459 v Hamilton in league cup sections, 547 and 408 (reportedly) in league - have been exceedingly encouraging... far beyond the sub-200 which the pessimists were forecasting, and above even the 250-300 which someone like myself had speculated.

For further context 'Shire only averaged 320 last season themselves.

And Hibernian were at Easter Road in front of a bumper crowd on Saturday too. Some of their season ticket holders do take advantage of the 50% discount to pop into Meadowbank and support City when Hibs play away. A few Hearts fans were present in the Meadowbank crowd yesterday as their team were away at Partick Thistle.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was absolute teargas yesterday. Sorry edinburgh but we've absolutely robbed you!

Pass marks go to Kevin Walker who was superb in goal and really kept us in the match until city scored, with a few fine saves! And also to Sheerin who put a shift in and more importantly got the goals. Took the penalty well and his second also. Brian Martin done ok.

Both full backs were absolutely terrible , along with Lavery who obviously couldn't give a f**k. Midfield were pretty hopeless , couldn't win anything and on the odd occasion where they did win the ball in the midfield, gave it straight away. Loanee had a good few touches but didn't really do much else.

Huge improvement needed, hopefully the players realise that level of performance is totally unacceptable from the groans from the large travelling crowd.

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

And Hibernian were at Easter Road in front of a bumper crowd on Saturday too. Some of their season ticket holders do take advantage of the 50% discount to pop into Meadowbank and support City when Hibs play away. A few Hearts fans were present in the Meadowbank crowd yesterday as their team were away at Partick Thistle.

That's a fair point which occurred to me coming away at the end - local traffic snarl wasn't helped by Hibs, Edinburgh City and Leith Athletic all having been at home at the same time!

For the friendly against Hibs last month the City programme showed a list of home games and whether Hearts or Hibs were home / away - presumably in connection with the reduced entry offer. Disappointingly for City there are only 4 clashes with Hearts (one of which went Sunday for TV) but 12 clashes with Hibs. (That leaves 2 more you cry - City are also home on Scottish Cup R4 day when either or both may be home, and at the end of the season which is post-split). If City stay up, maybe next season they should be fixtured opposite Hibs.

If City stay up, maybe next season they should be fixtured opposite Hibs.

Sorry but what a load of absolute nonsense. Have a word with yourself if you genuinely think this. Only way clubs fixtures should be specifically picked is if they share a stadium (like the milan's) or are located pretty much over the road from each other (like the Dundee teams) not in order for other teams fans to turn up to bump the attendance by 50, 100 at most.

Don't get me wrong , City have done well in getting this 50% discount for hearts / hibs supporters in place, but that should be as far as it goes.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Haynes' Son said:

Sorry but what a load of absolute nonsense. Have a word with yourself if you genuinely think this. Only way clubs fixtures should be specifically picked is if they share a stadium (like the milan's) or are located pretty much over the road from each other (like the Dundee teams) not in order for other teams fans to turn up to bump the attendance by 50, 100 at most.

Don't get me wrong , City have done well in getting this 50% discount for hearts / hibs supporters in place, but that should be as far as it goes.

I don't see Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day and at the same time in Glasgow. This is surely not a coincidence? Police probably couldn't cope. No reason why Hibernian and Edinburgh City can't have a word with the SPFL to make similar arrangements for next season if City stay in League Two. 

The fact that I had to wait over half an hour in the chip shop queue in Portobello before getting my fish supper on the way home after the match further strengthens my case in point.

Don't follow your anger KHS. They are just across Lochend Park from ER... even from the traffic and parking side of things it'd be easier if one was home when the other was away. It is not as if they only do it for Dundee/Dundee Utd, Hearts/Hibs and Rangers/Celtic anyway - Inverness and Ross County are placed opposite each other in the schedules as I suspect are a number of other clubs.

Unless they stopped doing it under SPFL, they also let clubs nominate a number of dates they want to be home / away. BBC did a piece on it a few years ago and clubs like Queen of the South, Ayr, Hamilton and Raith Rovers were nominating to avoid clashes with county fairs, horse racing, circuses and markets. SPL and SFL also let clubs try Friday night games...

If those sort of things are OK then I don't see why City being scheduled opposite a club a couple of hundred yards away isn't. If Hearts didn't exist it would probably have been automatic to have put City opposite Hibs?

Crowds at our level aren't big: anything to encourage them is positive IMO. Even if not, it might've helped getting parked and would've avoided the traffic.

I don't see Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day and at the same time in Glasgow.

Celtic and Rangers aren't at home at the same time, neither are Hearts and Hibs.

Glasgow also has Partick, QP etc. Edinburgh now have City. If it could be done simply i'd say docit, but realistically there are bigger problems than Edinburgh City and Hibs clashing.

Not that it matters, you'll be relegated anyway.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Haynes' Son said:

Clubs get the option to ask not to get put at home at the same time as local clubs in their area always has been the case, although it dosn't always work out that way. 

23 minutes ago, Yellow Feet said:

Celtic and Rangers aren't at home at the same time, neither are Hearts and Hibs.

Glasgow also has Partick, QP etc. Edinburgh now have City. If it could be done simply i'd say docit, but realistically there are bigger problems than Edinburgh City and Hibs clashing.

Dunbar United are doing well I see.... Berwick's crowds going to drop soon...? :lol:

and now, Tam's guide to protecting a 1-0 lead:

foot.jpg

34 minutes ago, Yellow Feet said:

All to play for IMO.

Excellent result, horrific performance. At least Coff didn't attempt to soft-soap it.

Kevin Walker saved us from an embarrassing beating. Felt sorry for Brian Martin, who was the back four. Hopefully he was paid accordingly. Wilson's confidence looks shot, while both full backs were dreadful again. Martin constantly had to drop across to cover a toiling McKinlay, running through treacle to get back after another aimless hoofball. The manager's lack of confidence in Hamilton was illustrated again by him moving an equally ineffective Stirling to right back and pushing Hamilton further forward. Did'nt work.

Serious question - what's Devon Jacobs doing these days? 

The experiment of playing 3 up top just didn't work. Sheerin pulled the ashes out the fire with his goals, Hurst showed some real skill in flashes but Lavery was just hopeless. As said above, pending Mackie's return, get Jordan Orru into the team ahead of McKinlay, and recruit a new right back

We'll be much stronger when Elgin come down in a fortnight, and we'll need to be. Fairbairn, McKenna and hopefully Mackie will return to the starting line-up. Hurst should start up top with Sheerin. Play a back 3 of Martin, Fairbairn and Mackie, and a midfield 5 of Notman, Walker, Thompson, McKenna and Stirling. That gives us some firepower. 

18 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I don't see Celtic and Rangers playing at home on the same day and at the same time in Glasgow. This is surely not a coincidence? Police probably couldn't cope. No reason why Hibernian and Edinburgh City can't have a word with the SPFL to make similar arrangements for next season if City stay in League Two. 

The fact that I had to wait over half an hour in the chip shop queue in Portobello before getting my fish supper on the way home after the match further strengthens my case in point.

We are quite incredibly mental, but something tells me the police can probably cope with us and Hibs on the same day.

55 minutes ago, Red Mist said:

Serious question - what's Devon Jacobs doing these days? 

Give over

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

_90952884_160827cmc_berwick_bbc-06.jpg

410?

Unlike other clubs we don't fiddle the figures. 

It is an 5000 seater stand. 410 would look quite small in that. Or to put it another way: it's a bit like parts of your anatomy if you wear medium sized boxers, Lurker. 

Given I am well over six feet tall with a waistline that has followed the same trajectory as Jim Baxter's as the decades have passed, that's definitely not the case. Crowd looks reasonable enough for SPFL4, but if I had to guesstimate I would have thought closer to 300 than 400 on the evidence of that photo. Definitely not a Spartans on the crowd estimate, but still a bit of an Isa factor involved.

Given I am well over six feet tall with a waistline that has followed the same trajectory as Jim Baxter's as the decades have passed, that's definitely not the case. Crowd looks reasonable enough for SPFL4, but if I had to guesstimate I would have thought closer to 300 than 400 on the evidence of that photo. Definitely not a Spartans on the crowd estimate, but still a bit of an Isa factor involved.

You can't be serious

Archived