Edinburgh City v Berwick Rangers

Sheerins fucking magic, he wears a magic hat,

He could have stayed at Livi but he said oh no f**k that,

He scores em with his left foot and he'll score them with his right,

And when we win the league we'll sing his song all fucking night.

Berwick to win this 5-0. Hat-tricks from both Sheerin and Hurst.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Sheerins fucking magic, he wears a magic hat,

He could have stayed at Livi but he said oh no f**k that,

Cough signed him because he ain't too fussy,

But I predict a free transfer back to Mussey! 

The best thing about the original song was the second line... :lol:

Thought we played well enough v Forfar and with a bit of luck could have had a point, but our weakness in the wide areas was exposed again. Neither signing from Stirling Albion is in the same class as Crane or McNeil, and Forfar's potency on the flanks through Milne and Cox highlighted that. McKinlay and Hamilton both look vulnerable defensively - the former relying on Brian Martin to cover when he was trundling back from launching aerial bombs on to Stuart Malcolm's forehead, and the latter when he was being stitched up by Milne for the opener and then again for his misplaced defensive header that deflected past a helpless Walker. No wonder Coff hooked him. Sean Mackie's return on the left flank can't come soon enough, and Graeme Beveridge has to be a starter on the right. Both will offer an attacking dimension out wide that we currently lack. Sort these positions out and we'll do ok.

I'd be happier going into Saturday's match with Michael McKenna available. Does his suspension kick in immediately?

Disagree on Hamilton/Beveridge personally. Haven't seen Mackie yet but would like to see him in there when fit. With Mackie out for another 3-4 weeks, I'd leave the defence as is and give it as much of a chance to settle as possible - chopping and changing generally isn't wise and Jonny will be back in the week after. 

I would however be tempted to play Beveridge in midfield ahead of Notman, provided he's recovered from injury. As I said post-Forfar, I felt Notman looked knackered. We know what he's capable of in terms of protecting the defence but he I've never seen him look as tired - nor go to ground so much. Perhaps he forgot his studs. 

Believe McKenna will be out. Personally I'd like to see what Hurst is made of but often loan youngsters are introduced slowly so I think we can expect Lavery in behind McKenna or an out and out 4-4-2.

With no disrespect meant to Edinburgh, we should be strong enough to win this without McKenna and Fairbairn. Oddly enough, I have the feeling (that comes with supporting Berwick), that we're going to get a bit of a shock. Hopefully I'm wrong, or at least drink so much that I think we've won when I wake up on Sunday.

Don't agree with Notman being benched. He didn't have a good game v Forfar,  but if he isn't carrying an injury he'd be a shoe in for me. 

My worry with the current Berwick team is the defence. We could easily have shipped more on Saturday. The full backs and Bob Wilson were all taken easily out of the game, either on the deck or with a ball over the top. Hopefully they will find it easier on Saturday, because we have few alternatives.

Seems to me that Alan Walker, Stirling and Notman have some work to do to decide who is meant to be doing what, but that can be sorted at training.  I'd either play Hurst in the Mckenna role, or I'd go more defensive and bring Bev in to strengthen midfield possession. 

What I am most confident about, is that I will get seriously pissed. 

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Disagree on Hamilton/Beveridge personally. Haven't seen Mackie yet but would like to see him in there when fit. With Mackie out for another 3-4 weeks, I'd leave the defence as is and give it as much of a chance to settle as possible - chopping and changing generally isn't wise and Jonny will be back in the week after. 

We'll have to agree to differ on this. I thought he was very poor on Saturday; directly responsible for both goals and created zilch going forward. McKinlay the same on the other side, though at least he didn't have a direct hand in Forfar's goals. I agree with other posts that the midfield has still to impose itself. We've got some good players in there but their individual contributions so far this season have been erratic, though playing with ten men every second week doesn't help. But as I said above, we're weak on the flanks, both defensively and going forward. That's going to cost us unless we can get Mackie back quickly (he was outstanding v Killie) and the manager comes up with a long-term solution on the right. Stirling supporters didn't seem to fussed when they lost McKinlay and Hamilton. I'll concede it's early days and they may well improve ( I hope they do), but at this point in time they've a lot to do to give us the quality provided by Crane and McNeil.

Also feel uncomfortable about this one. Going there with a weakened team against a side with big players like Mbu and Gair coming back into the reckoning and who really fancy this game as a great chance to get their first points on the board. Seen Berwick throw struggling opponents a lifeline too often over the years. Hope I'm wrong. Will be a good day out regardless 

Reading up a bit more on Hurst, he considers himself more of a #10 so a straight swap for McKenna could yet happen. I'd like to see it personally but again, wouldn't be surprised if Cough hands the chance to Lavery. That being said, given how highly rated Hurst is I can't see him being allowed to come here to be behind Sheerin, Lavery and McKenna in the pecking order.

2 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

I'll take that any day. Off to sesh. Thanks for being shiter than us Edinburgh.

The thing that made some of us laugh in the second half was when a City player was hacked down and a supporter shouted out "Absolute buggery!"

I thought Mbu was solid at the back again. He made one mistake and it cost us Berwick's second goal with their lob over the top of Calum Antell.

One consolation today. Edinburgh City badges are still available in the club shop.

Edinburgh City Shop Badges.JPG

Indeed. I imagine buggery would have lead to more than a stern talking-to from the referee.

Exceedingly lucky to leave with 3pts courtesy a better last quarter of an hour and the good fortune - I know, you make your own luck and all that - to win a penalty and score a breakaway... Poor performance for the most part and had we come away 1-0 losers there couldn't have been much grounds for complaint.

Decent crowd - 498.

Archived