The Ladbrokes Life

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The rise of online gambling has given an air of respectability to having a punt.  You can piss your money up against the wall from the comfort of your own home.  Bookies shops just reek of desperation and no amount of trying to spruce them up with faux laddy banter will ever be able to get rid of the stench.

I prefer the old school rundown sleaziness to the laddy banter.

The very worst examples of those adverts are the Coral ones with the blonde lassie and the fat guy.  What the fucking hell is going on with them?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ICTChris said:

I prefer the old school rundown sleaziness to the laddy banter.

The very worst examples of those adverts are the Coral ones with the blonde lassie and the fat guy.  What the fucking hell is going on with them?

The only time I would say I "enjoy" going into a bookies is if i'm out on the skite and i'm nipping in between pubs to put on a ridiculous 47 team accumulator.

Or bursting for a pish.

The Coral adverts are basically saying that yes, even fatties can get filthy looking wee wids if they bet £20 on a 5 team accumulator every weekend.

My mate works in a bookies and sent me a text saying someone had left a big browner in the urinal.

Pish, I thought. He produced undeniable video evidence of said toaly.

Think there was a bit of debate as to who would have to rectify the problem, in the end they had to get a man in to do it.

I remember a few years back I was in Bangor doing a hometown run with HMS Bangor and on one of the several pub crawls we had, we ended up in this depressing bookies before going round the corner to the pub and having the barman tell us if you lads need the bookies then just nip through that door there and it'll lead you to bookies. This pub had a wee side door into the place through a tunnel. Pretty sure this is the pub and bookies I'm thinking about although my memory is a bit hazy.
5cb61d6af1a37ce04a7bb92d7ae24446.jpg7716b1e9300c67dcfb1c82967e06668b.jpg

Gambling is generally, as the saying goes, a mug's game. If you can do it in moderation ( and by that I mean rarely) then that's fine but if you're getting to the stage where a massive win is just being used to bet again then I think you've got a problem.

It's something I've never really understood TBH. If I put a quid or two in a bandit and win £3/£4 back that's me done. I see people putting obscene amounts of money on bets etc and it just makes me laugh. What's the point? Obviously people get a mad thrill out of it but I just can't see why.

For some people there seems to be no end game. If I won £500 on a one-off bet I'd treat myself or save it, but some people go into "phree munney" mode and think they'll triple it with another bet and end up losing the lot and then try and win it back. Just get a grip.

For some people there seems to be no end game. If I won £500 on a one-off bet I'd treat myself or save it, but some people go into "phree munney" mode and think they'll triple it with another bet and end up losing the lot and then try and win it back. Just get a grip.

Never placed a bet in my life and was shocked when I was heading to the pub with a pal n he collected £300 odd in winnings.....He wasn't able to walk the 3 yards from counter to exit without blowing the lot.....we then scooped £60 out of the fruit machine in pub and he went to start loading coins back into it. Tried to tell me it would pay out again and wouldn't believe me when I pointed out it wouldn't pay out again for a cpl of days at least. I don't get the mindset at all. Apparently intelligent guy loses all common sense.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Never placed a bet in my life and was shocked when I was heading to the pub with a pal n he collected £300 odd in winnings.....He wasn't able to walk the 3 yards from counter to exit without blowing the lot.....we then scooped £60 out of the fruit machine in pub and he went to start loading coins back into it. Tried to tell me it would pay out again and wouldn't believe me when I pointed out it wouldn't pay out again for a cpl of days at least. I don't get the mindset at all. Apparently intelligent guy loses all common sense.

Because it's not really the win they're chasing, it's the thrill of playing. It's like asking a heroin addict why they need to shoot again, when they've already done so already. It's the feeling that the addict chases. So no matter how much a gambler wins. They don't want the rush to end, so they keep on playing for as long as possible, until they have no money left to play.

I occasionally nip into a Ladbrokes near my work on a Friday to pick up coupons so I can study the fixtures on my break. I never place any bets right enough.

Despite it being in a really deprived area in West Dumbartonshire, every time I'm in, each FOBT is being played by someone feeding note after note into it. I've witnessed guys punching the machines in fits of rage. Really unfomfortable to watch.

I remember reading about how the FOBT's in the bookies on Saracen Street, Possilpark rake in literally millions of pounds a year despite being one of the most deprived areas in Britain. That doesn't even include bets taken over the counter.

Its absolutely squalid.

It's fucking shocking how people are becoming hooked on those machines. They nearly Cost me my marriage 6 years ago. Blew my xmas bonus, lucky if I spent 20 quid on the wife's presents that year. Been to the GA meetings and never gambled or been in a bookies since.

Archived