Refereeing question

DA Baracus

Can a player commit a foul worthy of a yellow card but the ref waves play on (due to an advantage) only for the same player to commit another foul worthy of a yellow card, causing the referee to stop the game, then be given a yellow for both fouls and consequently a red? Saw a situation on MOTD last night where a West Ham player committed a foul that I thought was worthy of a yellow, and the ref played the advantage, only for the same player to then commit another foul which I also thought was worthy of a yellow. The ref stopped the game and gave the player a single yellow, although I don’t know for what incident.

Can a player commit a foul worthy of a yellow card but the ref waves play on (due to an advantage) only for the same player to commit another foul worthy of a yellow card, causing the referee to stop the game, then be given a yellow for both fouls and consequently a red? Saw a situation on MOTD last night where a West Ham player committed a foul that I thought was worthy of a yellow, and the ref played the advantage, only for the same player to then commit another foul which I also thought was worthy of a yellow. The ref stopped the game and gave the player a single yellow, although I don’t know for what incident.

No, a player can not receive a 2nd yellow unless they aware they have been booked already.

In theory if the ref can clearly inform the player they have been booked whilst play carries on they could receive the 2nd yellow. But I can't see how that could be achieved.

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

No, a player can not receive a 2nd yellow unless they aware they have been booked already.

In theory if the ref can clearly inform the player they have been booked whilst play carries on they could receive the 2nd yellow. But I can't see how that could be achieved.

Did Sean Welch not get shown 2 yellows and then a red in one movement for Thistle on Saturday? Sure I caught it on Sportscene. Fouled the Aberdeen guy (bookable offence) and then acted in a threatening manner towards the officials (bookable offence). John Beaton called him over, pointed at the where the first foul had taken place, booked him, pointed at the linesman, booked him then showed him a red.

Might be making it up as I didn't take much notice of it at the time, but I guess the referee in the West Ham game could've done the same if that is what happened.

Edit: About 36 minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07qr5k6/sportscene-21082016

50 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes, apparently he can.

Did Sean Welch not get shown 2 yellows and then a red in one movement for Thistle on Saturday? Sure I caught it on Sportscene. Fouled the Aberdeen guy (bookable offence) and then acted in a threatening manner towards the officials (bookable offence). John Beaton called him over, pointed at the where the first foul had taken place, booked him, pointed at the linesman, booked him then showed him a red.

Might be making it up as I didn't take much notice of it at the time, but I guess the referee in the West Ham game could've done the same if that is what happened.

Edit: About 36 minutes in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07qr5k6/sportscene-21082016

Hmm, to me I don't think the 2nd yellow is actually for the abuse to the linesman immediately after the foul, it's for the continuation of the abuse after approached by beaton who at that point looked to be giving just a single yellow.

The caution had been awarded before beaton decides to issue a 2nd yellow, beaton just hadn't had the time to show the card(a signal for the crowd) and write his number down (record keeping)

A Peterhead player scored against us at Balmoor, and the referee called him over to book him for over celebrating. The guy pretended not to realise he was being summoned and eventually the referee walked over to him. Booking for over celebration, second booking for not going over to the ref.

Given he had just put his team 4-0 up (and it wasn't even half time) it must be the stupidest red card ever.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Unless the rules have changes since my days of reading "you are the ref" in shoot players are under no obligation to go over to the ref.

Some of those are stupid cautions, over celebrating, kicking the ball away, talking back, placed on a par with excessive tackling and downright GBH. These were brought in because fans were fed up with the time wasting antics, and the FAs duly obliged! Straws and camels' backs I'm afraid.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching bit of the West Ham/Arsenal game there. An Arsenal defender was in the left back position (largely irrelevant, just painting a picture here) chipped it over towards the centre-half who chested it back to the Arsenal goalkeeper.

I thought this would constitute a back-pass? A read of the rules neither denies nor confirms this, but I was sure I’d read somewhere that the ball couldn’t be ‘teed up’ by a teammate to head/chest/knee back to the goalkeeper.

Can anyone clarify?

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You can't tee it up to yourself.

Presumably it doesn't extend to someone else doing so - e.g. if someone attempts a clearance but sky it straight up into the air another defender can head it back.

It was obvious that the first defender's pass was just quite poor, I doubt there was any intention for the second defender to chest it back so that the 'keeper could pick it up. Still an intended pass though, it definitely wasn't just a shite clearance. 

If the first player kicks the ball to the second player with the intention that the second player chests it back, then that would be a backpass due to the "circumventing the laws of the game" rule discussed above.  However, if it's just a bad clearance from the first player, and then the second player chests it back, then that's absolutely fine.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If the first player kicks the ball to the second player with the intention that the second player chests it back, then that would be a backpass due to the "circumventing the laws of the game" rule discussed above.  However, if it's just a bad clearance from the first player, and then the second player chests it back, then that's absolutely fine.

I don't think a really bad sliced clearance would count as a pass back either if picked up, would it? I mean if the player was facing away from goal and sliced it up in the air so badly it went behind him and the goalie picked it up?

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It wasn't a poor clearance, it was an intentional pass from the first defender that was meant to go to the player it did go to; the second defender. The only issue is that I'm quite sure the first defender's intention was not for the second defender to chest it back to the goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, smpar said:

It wasn't a poor clearance, it was an intentional pass from the first defender that was meant to go to the player it did go to; the second defender. The only issue is that I'm quite sure the first defender's intention was not for the second defender to chest it back to the goalkeeper. 

My interpretation is that it would have to be very clearly orchestrated for the referee to penalise. If defender 1 plays it to defender 2 over a reasonable distance then defender 2 presumably as various options in how to deal with the pass - control it, head it away, punt it up the park etc - chesting in back to the keeper would seem legitimate.

Archived