Giant Horses v Rock with Cannons

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

I know I have mentioned it before but, I still have no idea how we ended up convincing Alan Martin to play for us in League 2 as little as two years ago.

It's absolutely bizarre he's played for so many dross clubs. I'm shocked, certainly based on his performances so far, that he isn't a mid-table Premiership No.1. Fair enough McGovern at Accies last year was comfortably better than him, but I can't understand why they didn't give him a shot this season.

Still, they did the same with Jon Routledge and signed Chris Turner as his replacement, so it's all good.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question - what is there to like about David Smith? He offers nothing and isn't exactly busting a gut to get involved. He isn't skillful, he isn't quick, his delivery is terrible, he isn't a goal threat, and he hides. Dreadful footballer on his way to the Juniors.

Serious question - what is there to like about David Smith? He offers nothing and isn't exactly busting a gut to get involved. He isn't skillful, he isn't quick, his delivery is terrible, he isn't a goal threat, and he hides. Dreadful footballer on his way to the Juniors.

Based what I've seen that's a massively harsh assessment of Smith.

Always gives 100%, can beat a man and his crossing is nowhere near as bad as Falkirk fans described. Defensively he is lacking but and that can be an issue for teams like ourselves but overall he's done well enough.

Today wasn't his best of games but overall he's justified his place in the team.

FWIW I think Stirling has a bit of covincing to do before he gets a starting slot. He's shocking for passing the ball straight to the opposition, particularly when he's trying to help out at the back.

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

He's a real hard worker who keeps things simple. Whenever he's played on the right for us he's looked a threat. Nae messing about, just hits the byline and fires in a cross. His deliveries have actually been pretty decent and - along with Stirling on the left - it's a big improvement on Kevin 'cut inside and take about 11 touches before losing it' Cawley and Grant 'never a winger in his life' Gallagher,  who must've put in about 7 crosses between them over the whole of last season. Even Willie Gibson - who I was a big fan of - cut inside an awful lot and rarely stuck in a semi-dangerous delivery.

I like wingers who get crosses in, and both Stirling and Smith do it regularly. Stirling is obviously the better football player, but Smith has the pace to cause defenders trouble. He just doesn't have a left-foot and can't play on that side. When you do as little attacking as us it's important to get the ball into the box where we have two big, physical lads who are decent in the air.

Extremely harsh, He isn't quick? He was the fastest in Falkirks squad last season. I didn't mind smith.

Were you at the st mirren away game last season, 2-0 down at half time won 3-2. David smith was fantastic down the right, ripped the left midfielder/left back to shreds for the second 45. I was kind of disappointed he didn't feature more last season after that performance. He is a wee bit of a headless chicken sometimes and he can beat 3 men then run the ball out of play but I thought he was alright.

Extremely harsh, He isn't quick? He was the fastest in Falkirks squad last season. I didn't mind smith.

Were you at the st mirren away game last season, 2-0 down at half time won 3-2. David smith was fantastic down the right, ripped the left midfielder/left back to shreds for the second 45. I was kind of disappointed he didn't feature more last season after that performance. He is a wee bit of a headless chicken sometimes and he can beat 3 men then run the ball out of play but I thought he was alright.

That was by some distance his best performance for us but it's hardly like it was a common occurrence. More often than not he'd stumble down the wing then fail to get his cross off the ground and be cleared by the first defender.

And the less said about him up front the better.

7 minutes ago, distresseduke said:

Utter nonsense the guy was easily the best player on the park...he had our defence struggling on his own...if you can't see that . You know heehaw about fitba.....and I'm confident I've played at a higher level than you

Ahv played the gemme, son.

Utter nonsense the guy was easily the best player on the park...he had our defence struggling on his own...if you can't see that . You know heehaw about fitba.....and I'm confident I've played at a higher level than you

His physicality caused our defence problems. I didn't dispute that, but as a player he was nothing special. Hippolyte played better than him.

31 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He looked awful in the game against Partick Thistle last season. Responsible for conceding two goals. Obviously didn't impress in the development league either.

We have Remi Matthews, who has been absolutely brilliant so far.

One dodgyith game doth not maketh a bad 'keeper - Plato, or someone like that. Probably.

He's been incredible for us so far. In fact I'd go as far to say that without him we wouldn't have a single point on the board yet. He's made some wonderful saves and just does everything with a real heir of confidence. After Mark Brown in the Betfred Cup it's fantastic to have a 'keeper you think might save everything. 

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

The lassie who won the hot-tub experience at that game, looks as miserable as it's possible to be.

Fair play.

I really, really, really hope she / they weren't told someone else would be joining them in it.

Archived