Giant Horses v Rock with Cannons

You are correct, Rogers had one save to make when Todd went clean through on his weak foot. It was a decent save, but one you'd expect him to make. Stevo went on a decent run inside the first ten minutes, but shot wide and we had a few Andy Stirling crosses just evade everyone but that was about it.

Why Stevie decided to give Barr (out since June) and Gaz (out since July) a run our in such a tight game with a glorified friendly next week is beyond me. The fact that Stevo and Joe Thomson went off for them was also utterly bizarre. I can't help but feel his subs cost us a point today, though it was fairly evident we were playing for a 0-0 from the off.

Absolutely spot on Like last week the game was there for the taking. Falkirk are nowhere near as good as last season. Yet Aitken sets us up to defend for the entire game There is no need to be so negative and it is very very difficult to hold out when you allow the other team so much of the ball. As for the substitutions , weird Give Barr and Fleming a game next week. I m not sure the substitutions cost us the game but I really didn't see the point of them

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweetest thing is when a goalie timewastes from the first minute then let's a goal in so late he looks like a complete cheat speeding up his kick outs in the last two minutes. He made at least two cracking saves though

Clocked him blowing kisses towards our fans at about 65 mins in.

2 great saves indeed.

I thought Craig Sibbald was far more offensive today and had a cracking game,Alan Martin brought off 2 cracking saves and also had a great dead ball kick on him.However his time wasting was a pain but he certainly hurried up after Lee Miller scored.I though Lee looked offside but I have been told he was onside by folk in the main stand.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Don't think so, he was with Motherwell and Leeds in his younger days as far as I know.

You are correct, Rogers had one save to make when Todd went clean through on his weak foot. It was a decent save, but one you'd expect him to make. Stevo went on a decent run inside the first ten minutes, but shot wide and we had a few Andy Stirling crosses just evade everyone but that was about it.

Why Stevie decided to give Barr (out since June) and Gaz (out since July) a run our in such a tight game with a glorified friendly next week is beyond me. The fact that Stevo and Joe Thomson went off for them was also utterly bizarre. I can't help but feel his subs cost us a point today, though it was fairly evident we were playing for a 0-0 from the off.

I don't believe we played for a point, first twenty it was all Dumbarton, plenty balls in the box, with no one near the ball unfortunately, Alan Martin did have three excellent saves in the first half, falkirk probably dominated the second, but we were still reasonably threatening on the break, disappointed to lose so late in the game, and I felt the goal came from a free kick we never got when, (McCracken?), had his arms all over Thomson's shoulders when both attacking an aerial ball, I don't think we deserve any criticism, but I'd have used mccallum on for probably Smith when chasing a goal instead of barr coming on, 

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I attended today's game with my Sons supporting pal and I can't agree with your assessment. I don't think Dumbarton set up to defend at all. Sometimes against better teams who have fitter players and are more technically adept, it looks like negativity. Dumbarton in my view deserved a point as they worked well as a unit and showed some decent spells of possession and some good counter attacking moves. The difference for me today was when Todd weakly finished a sweeping move. Had Dumbarton scored at that point, I don't think Falkirk would have recovered. Sons are doing remarkably well. Cheer up.

I wasn't at Queen of the South but that was a big improvement today. Bringing Hippo in to the team allowing Sibbald to move in to the middle of the park works so much better. Hippo played well today with his pace and trickery causing the Dumbarton RB a lot of problems. Sibbald has the #baller skills to unlock defences and aside from a few loose passes was excellent today. A combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping meant the scoreline flattered Dumbarton a bit, though they had chances too (albeit twice assisted by Falkirk players) and probably should have scored themselves.

Only negative really for me was Lewis Kidd, who was pretty poor throughout (slightly better in the second half though). Would be nice to get a wide right midfielder (Carmichael?) in before the window closes to complete the balance of the midfield as playing Taiwo there doesn't really work. Anyone have any idea why Austin wasn't in the squad? Miller is definitely best coming off the bench but I'd say Baird's place in the starting 11 is up for grabs. 

Watching the Dumbarton keeper time waste for most of the second half/ blow kisses to the South Stand, then sprint to get the ball back at the end was quite funny. 

Even after our poor start, a cracking attendance today of 4,311

The hot tub was totally embarrassing btw and so was the half time effort to hit the crossbar. ffs Falkirk

First 15 minutes we carried on from where we left off. Lots of high pressing and some neat passages of play. After that we shat it a bit.

Pettigrew looked pretty hopeless and yon Hippo tore hom to shreds most of the day. Stevo and Martin were probably our best performers.

Fully agree about the subs, at 0-0 I could see the point in flinging a fully fit Barr into the mix but not one who hasn't played for 2 months.

I wasn't at Queen of the South but that was a big improvement today. Bringing Hippo in to the team allowing Sibbald to move in to the middle of the park works so much better. Hippo played well today with his pace and trickery causing the Dumbarton RB a lot of problems. Sibbald has the #baller skills to unlock defences and aside from a few loose passes was excellent today. A combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping meant the scoreline flattered Dumbarton a bit, though they had chances too (albeit twice assisted by Falkirk players) and probably should have scored themselves.

Only negative really for me was Lewis Kidd, who was pretty poor throughout (slightly better in the second half though). Would be nice to get a wide right midfielder (Carmichael?) in before the window closes to complete the balance of the midfield as playing Taiwo there doesn't really work. Anyone have any idea why Austin wasn't in the squad? Miller is definitely best coming off the bench but I'd say Baird's place in the starting 11 is up for grabs. 

Watching the Dumbarton keeper time waste for most of the second half/ blow kisses to the South Stand, then sprint to get the ball back at the end was quite funny. 

Even after our poor start, a cracking attendance today of 4,311

The hot tub was totally embarrassing btw and so was the half time effort to hit the crossbar. ffs Falkirk

Thats around 1600 walk up fans.

They count all season ticket holders. I'd say more like 3500 if your lucky.

Stevie was right to hook Thomson, if anything he should have been off sooner. We lost the battle in the midfield today with Sibbald and Kerr largely dictating the play.

Ultimately there's more reasons for us to be positive than negative. We look solid at the back and reasonably threatening on the counter. 

Since the nonsense at Paisley last February, I've flitted in and out of attendance at away matches and not had to endure every defeat. Today though was a far better performance than some of the stuff I've seen served up in the last year and not as negative as other days. I can sympathise with the fans who travel every other week though, must be hard not to become pretty gloomy on Sons away days.

55 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I don't believe we played for a point, first twenty it was all Dumbarton, plenty balls in the box, with no one near the ball unfortunately, Alan Martin did have three excellent saves in the first half, falkirk probably dominated the second, but we were still reasonably threatening on the break, disappointed to lose so late in the game, and I felt the goal came from a free kick we never got when, (McCracken?), had his arms all over Thomson's shoulders when both attacking an aerial ball, I don't think we deserve any criticism, but I'd have used mccallum on for probably Smith when chasing a goal instead of barr coming on, 

54 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

I attended today's game with my Sons supporting pal and I can't agree with your assessment. I don't think Dumbarton set up to defend at all. Sometimes against better teams who have fitter players and are more technically adept, it looks like negativity. Dumbarton in my view deserved a point as they worked well as a unit and showed some decent spells of possession and some good counter attacking moves. The difference for me today was when Todd weakly finished a sweeping move. Had Dumbarton scored at that point, I don't think Falkirk would have recovered. Sons are doing remarkably well. Cheer up.

We did work well as a unit, and were tight and stuffy and hard to break down. But we forced the 'keeper into 1 save today. We sat very, very deep and absorbed plenty of pressure but going forward (particularly after the first 20 minutes that Optimistic talks about) we just fired the ball up in Thomson or Stevo's general direction and hoped they could do something with it.

We are good going forward. In fact we're far better going forward than we are at the back imo. Guys like Stevo, Thommo, Stirling (who I'd be starting against Hibs) and Todd are fantastic to watch going forward. Last week we played to their strengths and, probably, deserved all 3 points. This week we sat in to frustrate Falkirk, and perhaps nick a goal on the break if we could.

It's not being negative, it's being critical. We haven't won away from home since December last year, and overly conservative tactics certainly play a large part in that. 

23 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

First 15 minutes we carried on from where we left off. Lots of high pressing and some neat passages of play. After that we shat it a bit.

Pettigrew looked pretty hopeless and yon Hippo tore hom to shreds most of the day. Stevo and Martin were probably our best performers.

Fully agree about the subs, at 0-0 I could see the point in flinging a fully fit Barr into the mix but not one who hasn't played for 2 months.

Aye, this really.

I like David Smith, but there is a wee issue I've noticed. He can't really play on the left as he's all right-footed and good at tearing down the wing and firing in an early cross, but he can't play on the right either because Pettigrew needs a guy like Todd infront of him who is actually a very decent defender. I'd be starting Stirling and Todd on the wings next week.

By the way, does anyone know if Joe Thomson picked up a knock? Cannot think of a single reason for taking him off and moving Todd to a deeper midfield role. We lost a bit of shape and dropped even deeper when we lost his energy in the middle of the park. If he wanted to get Barr on then surely he should've taken his place rather than moving Todd out of position?

Archived