P&B Gaming quiz 2016

Spectre

12 hours ago, SramTon said:

Ha! There was a music round last year and I was going to comment that imo the quiz benefitted from its (and the voice round's) absence this year.

The problem with both, but the music round in particular, is that there's no other context, so if you've not played the game you've really got no chance of working it out or taking a worthwhile guess.

That said, I agree it's probably a good idea to have a few scattered musical/audio clips just to mix things up.

Anyway, congrats to DJ in making up for last years disappointment and being a worthy winner in the end. Thanks again to Spectre for all his hard work.

It may have been a bit lucky but I thought the voice round worked well. might be down to it being the final round so strong competitors left could deal with the games better. I do agree it is a relatively difficult round. I would have to make the music round considerably easier before even considering it again

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2016 at 05:52, Spectre said:

It may have been a bit lucky but I thought the voice round worked well. might be down to it being the final round so strong competitors left could deal with the games better. I do agree it is a relatively difficult round. I would have to make the music round considerably easier before even considering it again

I've just listened to last year's Music and Voice rounds again.   My memory has been playing tricks on me!

The Voice round did actually work very well!   I had been eliminated by that stage and, though I remember playing along, I probably didn't spend any time agonising over the answers, thereby making it a less memorable round for me personally (and that, I suspect, is why I was left with the impression I had: rather than the quality of the round itself).

With regard to the Music round.   I made the comment in my last post that, due to a lack of context, it is impossible to guess the game if you hadn't played it.   That may well be the case, but I was surprised to find (looking back) that I had actually played all 10 games in last year's music round!   I think, though, that the general thrust of what I was saying is accurate: you only have the music to go on, nothing else, and if that doesn't resonate you've no hope.   

Anyway, with a memory as bad as mine (see above), it's amazing I did so well this year!

18 hours ago, SramTon said:

I've just listened to last year's Music and Voice rounds again.   My memory has been playing tricks on me!

The Voice round did actually work very well!   I had been eliminated by that stage and, though I remember playing along, I probably didn't spend any time agonising over the answers, thereby making it a less memorable round for me personally (and that, I suspect, is why I was left with the impression I had: rather than the quality of the round itself).

With regard to the Music round.   I made the comment in my last post that, due to a lack of context, it is impossible to guess the game if you hadn't played it.   That may well be the case, but I was surprised to find (looking back) that I had actually played all 10 games in last year's music round!   I think, though, that the general thrust of what I was saying is accurate: you only have the music to go on, nothing else, and if that doesn't resonate you've no hope.   

Anyway, with a memory as bad as mine (see above), it's amazing I did so well this year!

The music round, IIRC put paid to me last year at the group stage, but a lot of them were guessable. For example, I'd never heard the Sonic theme in question but I knew it was Sonic as it had that 'style'.

The Pokemon one haunted me last year, though. I knew it but only as part of Smash Bros as it was the music of a level on the original game and I played the absolute shit out of that game on the N64, I'd never played Pokemon on the GB with the sound up so didn't make that connection which was complete madness.

Archived