Dundee United v Raith

Really looking forward to this game now. What a start to the season we've had. Best defensive record in the league. I expect this to continue.

The only change I'd expect to see is a New Keeper in goals with both Lennox and Cuthbert now out injured.

We also have a few days extra rest as Dundee United play this midweek in the league cup I'm sure.

Bring them on. Hopefully Toshney plays RB again. Bobby Barr will have a field day against him there. Of all the positions, that he can play, that is by far his worst which is why I'm confused McKinnon bought him to play RB :lol:

1-2 Rovers with big M'Voto getting his first goal as well as a Vaughan free kick. Durnan to get Uniteds.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Really looking forward to this game now. What a start to the season we've had. Best defensive record in the league. I expect this to continue.

The only change I'd expect to see is a New Keeper in goals with both Lennox and Cuthbert now out injured.

We also have a few days extra rest as Dundee United play this midweek in the league cup I'm sure.

Bring them on. Hopefully Toshney plays RB again. Bobby Barr will have a field day against him there. Of all the positions, that he can play, that is by far his worst which is why I'm confused McKinnon bought him to play RB :lol:

1-2 Rovers with big M'Voto getting his first goal as well as a Vaughan free kick. Durnan to get Uniteds.

We don't have a game midweek.

I'm not sure why Toshney is still playing as a fullback but I don't think McKinnon sees that as his long term position. Ideally for me he would be in the middle alongside a new central defender with Dillon on the right. 

Big test for us next Saturday, will give a proper indication as to where we are as Raith will push us and will be much more effective going forward than Ayr were yesterday. 

I'm not one of those who bears McKinnon or Toshney any kind of grudge (and still less Ellis) - thanks to them for their contributions last season and I wish them all the best.

Nonetheless, I'm going to be up for this one, I'd bloody love to turn them over next week. Can't really see it, mind you.

50 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

We don't have a game midweek.

I'm not sure why Toshney is still playing as a fullback but I don't think McKinnon sees that as his long term position. Ideally for me he would be in the middle alongside a new central defender with Dillon on the right. 

Big test for us next Saturday, will give a proper indication as to where we are as Raith will push us and will be much more effective going forward than Ayr were yesterday. 

If McKinnon didn't think that was his position he would't keep playing him there, with Dillon at CB too.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

If McKinnon didn't think that was his position he would't keep playing him there, with Dillon at CB too.

Maybe he doesn't fancy Dillon at fullback and sees Toshney as our best choice at the moment until we find someone better? It had also been suggested he was being eased into the team in that position after his broken nose but that has probably healed now. By long term I mean 2-3 seasons. I still don't think that will be Toshney's position.

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Different aspirations then.

We finished in fourth place, McKinnon signed him on a PCA with the intention of strengthening the squad, he certainly wasn't a January window 'lets see who is out there' signing.

50 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I'm not one of those who bears McKinnon or Toshney any kind of grudge (and still less Ellis) - thanks to them for their contributions last season and I wish them all the best.

Nonetheless, I'm going to be up for this one, I'd bloody love to turn them over next week. Can't really see it, mind you.

Agree with this. All the best to them in the future, but not against us. It'll be a tricky game, but we've looked solid enough so far. It'd be lovely to go put a bit of pressure on. 

As for Bobby Barr, he's always going to be one of those 'on his day...' players, that divides opinion. For a club like ourselves, he's a solid addition. 

Incidentally, this must be our first visit to Tannadice in ages. It's one of the grounds I've never been to before, so I'll be making my way to this one. Hopefully we can keep our 100% record up. 

I've been to Tannadice since, but I haven't seen Raith play there since the last day of the season in '94, when Brian Potter made the first of his two appearances, and Jason Dair and Davie Sinclair both scored screamers in a 3-2 win.

I've been to Tannadice since, but I haven't seen Raith play there since the last day of the season in '94, when Brian Potter made the first of his two appearances, and Jason Dair and Davie Sinclair both scored screamers in a 3-2 win.

That was a great day, 3-0 up with about two minutes left, and we ended up hanging on to a 3-2 win. Then there was a pitch invasion for some inexplicable reason. Brilliant.

Just now, McGuigan1978 said:

That was a great day, 3-0 up with about two minutes left, and we ended up hanging on to a 3-2 win. Then there was a pitch invasion for some inexplicable reason. Brilliant.

It was a fine day out, yeah. I guess the pitch invasion was just because, for all we knew, it might have been our last premier league game ever.

I have had a soft spot for Raith since the late, great Turnbull Hutton laid into the Scottish footballing authorities when they were trying to shoehorn Scotland's newest club into a higher division.

My younger son and I went over to a random game at Stark's Park just to put a few quid into the Raith coffers.  By sheer chance met Hutton standing outside the ground (having a sly cigarette IIRC) and shook his hand.  It's a pity there were not more of his kind around during the Sevco debacle.

I am more pissed off at Utd actively seeking McKinnon and going public while we were in middle of play offs v Hibs.

Can't really blame him for taking his 'dream' job but at same time I hope he fails miserably.

I'm another who doesn't get what he is up to with Toshney? One of the best CB's in league without question, he is no way a right back.

Can't comment too much on Utd as have only seen Arbroath game and a few highlights but I'm confident we can go there and get a result

'Bobby Barr', sounds like a henchman for a crime kingpin. Arsehole.

United continue to look slick going forward and bombscary at the back, so can see this being a goalfest. 3-2 United.

Archived