Pars vs. Doonhamers

Oh, and nobody is clutching at straws. Just about everyone has said we were terrible and deserved nothing. A good exchange of opinions on a controversial incident is surely allowed though - that's one of the things I love about football, that we can all see the same incident and all see something completely different and all aruge our point with some justification.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Socks said:

You're probably right about how the offence would be reported actually - my analysis didn't take into account that it prevented a clear goalscoring chance. The point stands though - regardless of where on the park it occurred, and regardless of whether he wins the ball or not, a tackle that makes contact with the opponent at that height and which is made with the player jumping in with both feet off the ground is generally deemed a foul, and usually at least a booking for recklessly dangerous play.

He doesnt jump in with both feet off the ground and its not even clear at what point he makes contact with the attacker. This is about the best still I could get from the video where Tappings feet are both off the ground

Untitled-1.jpg

At this point hes a lot closer to the ball than the attacker - hes also quite clearly in front of the attacker -  and his trailing leg is barely off the ground. If he plays the ball then its a perfectly good challenge and wouldnt be a free kick no matter where on the pitch it was. If he doesnt play the ball but then impedes the attacker then, yes, its a penalty ... probably!

Its a decent shout and I dont think anyone would have had too many complaints had it been given but its no more than a decent shout

I will way in here and say from the highlights that penalty shout is close. We got the ball but with the pars player going down there is always the risk of the penalty given. I not saying the pars player dived or anything of the sort but by him going down it does invite the question. Even if the penalty was given doesn't necessarily mean it's a goal.

We got the three points and that's all that matters. September is a difficult month for both clubs.

31 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He doesnt jump in with both feet off the ground and its not even clear at what point he makes contact with the attacker. This is about the best still I could get from the video where Tappings feet are both off the ground

Untitled-1.jpg

At this point hes a lot closer to the ball than the attacker - hes also quite clearly in front of the attacker -  and his trailing leg is barely off the ground. If he plays the ball then its a perfectly good challenge and wouldnt be a free kick no matter where on the pitch it was. If he doesnt play the ball but then impedes the attacker then, yes, its a penalty ... probably!

Its a decent shout and I dont think anyone would have had too many complaints had it been given but its no more than a decent shout

All that still image shows me is that he has both feet off the ground as he makes the tackle. I really don't think that's a good tackle even if he did win the ball (I don't think he did), and would expect a free kick had the same occurred in the centre circle. But there you go - as I said above, I like these wee debates where we can see things differently and it comes down to opinion and interpretation, as of course it does for the referee at the time.

All that still image shows me is that he has both feet off the ground as he makes the tackle. I really don't think that's a good tackle even if he did win the ball (I don't think he did), and would expect a free kick had the same occurred in the centre circle. But there you go - as I said above, I like these wee debates where we can see things differently and it comes down to opinion and interpretation, as of course it does for the referee at the time.

If having 2 feet off the ground while making a tackle makes it a foul, then surely every sliding challenge is a foul? They all have to be made by first jumping in to the slide.

If he gets the ball first it's a great tackle, if he gets the man first it's a penalty and caution (for the reason I stated earlier).

We were absolutely terrible for 80 minutes yesterday and very nearly didn't lose. I'm not sure which team that says more about?

Dundee United at home next in the league. Hopefully Murdoch returns with Fordyce and another striker hopefully added and we'll be OK.

7 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

We were absolutely terrible for 80 minutes yesterday and very nearly didn't lose. I'm not sure which team that says more about?

Dundee United at home next in the league. Hopefully Murdoch returns with Fordyce and another striker hopefully added and we'll be OK.

It suggests we could have had a chance at winning if we'd played well but, instead, proceeded to lose. Again.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

If having 2 feet off the ground while making a tackle makes it a foul, then surely every sliding challenge is a foul? They all have to be made by first jumping in to the slide.

If he gets the ball first it's a great tackle, if he gets the man first it's a penalty and caution (for the reason I stated earlier).

Have you ever tried to do a sliding tackle?!

9 hours ago, Socks said:

Me too :) I think you're last point is the main point here. Even if it was a penalty its nowhere near the "stonewaller" or terrible injustice it was portrayed as here.

8 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

Neither really. That was easily our worst performance of the season

We were very poor and didn't deserve anything. Those are the facts.

One thing though is that the club has to contact the authorities in private regarding Charleston refereeing our games. He is a Falkirk fan with a Falkirk tattoo, could you imagine a ref openly a Celtic fan with a Celtic tattoo getting to ref Rangers games? Never in a month of Sundays was he going to give us a penalty for that at the end of the game. 

Guest Back Post Misses
We were very poor and didn't deserve anything. Those are the facts.

One thing though is that the club has to contact the authorities in private regarding Charleston refereeing our games. He is a Falkirk fan with a Falkirk tattoo, could you imagine a ref openly a Celtic fan with a Celtic tattoo getting to ref Rangers games? Never in a month of Sundays was he going to give us a penalty for that at the end of the game. 

He has no longer got a Falkirk tattoo.

Well done agent Charleston

Guest Back Post Misses
Nearly 4000 at the game. Even when we're struggling, I'm constantly amazed at what a big team we are. 

Nearly 4,500 at TFS v Dumbarton must mean we are CL material

Guest Back Post Misses

We deservedly got beat, as I mentioned before... If the rest of our play was anything to go by, the penalty would not have been on target. But that doesn't change the fact that this is a clear penalty. You can't deny that. Time and time again Charleston is put in charge of our matches and makes 'mistakes' that disadvantage us. This is a man with a Falkirk tattoo, and surely such an avid supporter of our rivals can't be impartial? I have also seen him on Tartan Army trips talking about his hatred of 'Fife Scum'. Surely who a referee supports, should be taken into consideration when appointing them to games? Can't be hard to find officials that don't support Dunfermline/Raith/Falkirk, I'd imagine a lot of them support bigger teams than us.

Referee is not to blame for yesterday's defeat. And he also got the red card decision 100% correct. No complaints from me in that respect. Not a single player we had out there was better than their opponent. We were genuinely fortunate that Queens made very little of the large amount of opportunities they had. But it's still frustrating to see this man repeatedly screw us over, and get away with it.

He used to have a FFC Tattoo

It's a decent penalty shout, but that really is all it is.

From the stuff on here, I was expecting something far more clear cut.  Robinson should deal with the initial shot better and thereafter it's a ball up for grabs.  The touch on it sends it goalwards, but not firmly enough to prevent Hamill from rescuing the situation.

If it makes you Fife chaps feel better by clinging to notions of a gross injustice though, do please go ahead.

If it makes you Dumfries chaps feel better that there was definitely no chance of QoTS not winning the game rather than the reality that did get quite lucky then carry on.

Oh, its two penalty shouts now?

Better get onto the SPFL and make sure we get deducted 3 points not just the 2 Grant wanted

Fucking hell you're taking this well.
Have you ever tried to do a sliding tackle?!

I'm going to guess that he hasn't, or at the very least he's been doing it very wrong.

Socks is the most impartial Pars fan on here and a trained Ref to boot. I've still to speak to anyone sitting in the norrie (the ones with the best view) who aren't adamant it's a penalty.

Was definitely a penalty.

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If it makes you Dumfries chaps feel better that there was definitely no chance of QoTS not winning the game rather than the reality that did get quite lucky then carry on.

I'm going to guess that he hasn't, or at the very least he's been doing it very wrong.

Socks is the most impartial Pars fan on here and a trained Ref to boot. I've still to speak to anyone sitting in the norrie (the ones with the best view) who aren't adamant it's a penalty.

Was definitely a penalty.

Well no it definitely wasn't a penalty or the impartial raging tattooed bairns fan would have given it.

To get from standing/running to a slide tackle, at some point both feet have to come off of the ground. It isn't for long, and it isn't 2 foot off of the ground, but they both come off off the ground. In any case, I was being facetious to make a point.

The best view of that challenge is from the stand, from the both the referee's position and that of his assistant it would be impossible to see who got to the ball first. It looks very close, so there is no way Charleston would have been able to give it with any certainty. It may not have been the correct decision, but he could not have given the penalty with any credibility. If socks is a ref then he will know this.

35 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Im fine thanks. We got the benefit of a debatable referee decision and won the game.

Some of the Pars fans, on the other hand, are swinging from two footed tackle from behind to Falkirk conspiracy in a desperate bid to justify defeat in a game they were second best in.

Im fine thanks. We got the benefit of a debatable referee decision and won the game.

Some of the Pars fans, on the other hand, are swinging from two footed tackle from behind to Falkirk conspiracy in a desperate bid to justify defeat in a game they were second best in.

This. Some of the pars fans have been gracious in defeat and are looking instead to the season ahead. Others well . . .

The decision went with us it won't always but Saturday it did. The exact same tackle on another day or different ref may well well be given as a penalty. I will concede that because it's fine margins. Penalties are given when they shouldn't be and not given when they should.

Until video referee decisions come into the game debates like these will continue to be the norm.

Archived