Pars vs. Doonhamers

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

Can't comment on Antell as I never seen him as I was working overseas when he was between the sticks !!! The times I saw Hutton I thought he was dreadful culminating in the diddy cup final against Ross County !

Hutton was decent enough, apart from that cup final!

Hutton would be in my top 3 worst keepers I have seen in a QOS shirt. Barry John Corr and the well named Jim Butter lol the others !

I remember Jim Butter from season 1995-96 when I was at quite a lot of away games. I don't recall many glaring mistakes from him, although I reckon his level was the division below Queens back then. Was there not a keeper called Cunningham that was dreadful in the 90s?

I remember Jim Butter from season 1995-96 when I was at quite a lot of away games. I don't recall many glaring mistakes from him, although I reckon his level was the division below Queens back then. Was there not a keeper called Cunningham that was dreadful in the 90s?

Cunningham I didn't think was to bad a keeper, came from Annbank I am sure but played in a rank rotten team 89/90 season I think. Relegated from division 1 with about 11 points !

16 minutes ago, Stu1 said:

In my time Bryn halliwell and Steven grindly have got to be up there for the award

Stephen Grindlay played about 3 or 4 games for us. If we are including players with so few then I raise everyone Kris Robertson! And if we want guys who played a season or so then Derek Hoy and Rikki Ferguson were nightmares.

Halliwell really didnt work out though. Neither obviously did Antell. David Hutton was decent for us, one horrific aberation in the Challenge Cup Final aside. Dont think anyone particularly wanted him to leave when he moved on to Hamilton. I wouldnt rank him amongst our best keepers in my time but he would be nowhere near my worst list either. 

David Hutton was decent for us, one horrific aberation in the Challenge Cup Final aside. Dont think anyone particularly wanted him to leave when he moved on to Hamilton. I wouldnt rank him amongst our best keepers in my time but he would be nowhere near my worst list either. 

Agree about David Hutton, I thought he was ok but I suppose the challenge cup final is going to be what he's remembered for unfortunately

Hutton when he was with us was passable which was 5 years ago, He wasn't going to win you games but he wasn't going to lose you too many. That being said his career was defined in that Cup Final and he was never the same after that catastrophic balls up against Ross County.  If you get replaced by Roddy '2 Years' McKenzie then you aren't going to get far and his career has been on a decline to jobber status since.

3 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I know he made a massive blunder but it seems like revisionism to blame that defeat solely on him.  From what I remember the whole team froze on the day.

We didnt play remotely well and we were horribly hamstrung in the first place but it was such an enormous early cock up we were never able to recover from it. 

I still believe if the final had been played when it should have been we would likely have won it. County were way off form and we had a better side at that stage. By the time it eventually came round County had Calderwood in and were a much improved side. Meanwhile we had hit financial meltdown. We had lost Lee Robinson and Ryan Conroy who would have played on the original date. Colin McMenamin had come in but was cup tied, David Weatherston pulled a hamstring in the pre match warm up. I am sure we were so short of numbers that Allan Johnston played when only half fit. As I recall the sub bench had Roddy McKenzie and four teenagers with about three appearances to their name between them. The early Hutton cock up pretty much summed up where we were at the time. Was it not about the time the team basically chucked it and lost 5 or 6 in a row including an absolute pounding at Dunfermline?

21 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I know he made a massive blunder but it seems like revisionism to blame that defeat solely on him.  From what I remember the whole team froze on the day.

This is exactly how I remember that game

I missed the famous Cup Final mistake because I was on holiday at the time.

As outlined though, it was no surprise when we lost it.  We were trudging towards the end of a poor season, marked by a particularly rotten late run.  It looked at times as if we'd chucked it.  Hutton was a decent keeper for us though and it's unfair to say otherwise.  

I also think that Jim Butter is a bit badly done by in these discussions too.  His mistake was maybe to cost decent money.  He wasn't great, but I've seen worse.  A couple of local lads spring to mind, as does the ludicrous figure of a middle aged John Burridge.

Calum Antell is the single worst professional football player I've ever seen.  I'm assuming he sits on the bench for Edinburgh City?

He is certainly an absolute diddy. Remember him costing us at hearts in the cup as just one example.

8 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

David Hutton is still starting for a Championship side in 2016. What a time to be alive.

Slightly misleading in that he is a back-up covering for an injury.

4 hours ago, MOTD Wannabee said:

I take it Hutton doesn't play like this any more?

No, no he doesn't,

Cunningham I didn't think was to bad a keeper, came from Annbank I am sure but played in a rank rotten team 89/90 season I think. Relegated from division 1 with about 11 points !

Rings a bell that Cunningham played then and arrived from the Juniors. I reckon he was pretty bad but the entire team were woeful that season with relegation from Division One and only having 11 points.

Archived