La Liga / Copa Del Rey Ole

capybara

What will happen once Catalan is independent? I assume Barcelona will have to depart La Liga. I know there are clubs that play in foreign leagues in Europe but generally those are border city clubs that are geographically inconvenient to play in their domestic leagues.

And Spanish government won’t allow them too:

1 hour ago, thekorean said:

What will happen once Catalan is independent? I assume Barcelona will have to depart La Liga. I know there are clubs that play in foreign leagues in Europe but generally those are border city clubs that are geographically inconvenient to play in their domestic leagues.

Hopefully. It would be hilarious. 

El Clasico brings in too much revenue for La Liga for it to be realistic. Where there's a will, there's a way. Failing that, I'm guessing the French league would make room for them.

3 hours ago, thekorean said:

I read this article yesterday and the head of La Liga is playing hardball - http://www.espn.co.uk/football/spanish-primera-division/story/3199060/catalan-independence-puts-barcelona-future-in-jeopardy-la-liga-chief

I'm sure as proud flag bearers for Catalonia, Barcelona would be delighted to leave the Spanish set up and do everything they could to help establish their fledgling country...

Edited by 7-2

Quite. Anyway, there is already an Andorran team in the Spanish league system so there is a precedent for allowing teams from outside Spain.

Theres a rule that states Andorran teams are the only non-Spanish teams allowed in the set up.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a rule that states Andorran teams are the only non-Spanish teams allowed in the set up.

Rules can be changed.

If the Spanish FA tries to play hardball that's one thing, if the Spanish government try to apply pressure UEFA would get involved.

Watched the tail-end of the Alaves match as Real ambled to an unconvincing 2-1 win. Amazing that the narrative over the summer was that Barca were in crisis and Real could have a period of dominance, yet it's Barca with the 100% record so far while Real drop careless points at home and look a bit lacklustre.

On 9/22/2017 at 08:51, RandomGuy. said:

It'll come to a vote between the clubs in the league, and they'll vote Barca in, you'd imagine.

The clubs will definitely want to, aye, but the fans might kick up a fuss like we did here with the whole Rangers mess.

Most fans in Spain seem to dislike RM and Barca, as is the case in Scotland with the OF.

Barca playing at home the same day that Spain tries to repress the will of the Catalan people.  Potential for scenes.

I'm in Ibiza, a place that has strong Catalan ties.  Will try to take the game in at a local bar.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Barca playing at home the same day that Spain tries to repress the will of the Catalan people.  Potential for scenes.

I'm in Ibiza, a place that has strong Catalan ties.  Will try to take the game in at a local bar.

2 minutes ago, just me 2 said:

Games apparently off

Back on.

Barcelona - Las Palmas to be played behind closed doors

FC Barcelona has announced their La Liga clash with Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors.

In a statement, the Catalan club said: “FC Barcelona condemn the events which have taken place in many parts of Catalonia today in order to prevent its citizens exercising their democractic rights to free expression.

“Given the exceptional nature of events, the Board of Directors have decided that the FC Barcelona first team game against Las Palmas will be played behind closed doors following the Professional Football League’s refusal to postpone the game.”

The Catalan Football Federation had already suspended all matches due to referendum, but FC Barcelona are not under their jurisdiction.

Earlier today, Las Palmas announced a Spanish flag had been sewn onto their kit for the game to show support for “the unity of Spain”.

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:12, RandomGuy. said:

Rules can be changed...