Brown Retired

harry94

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, troopio said:

Its a shame though as hes looked good recently.

Thought he looked good on Wed night.  Hasnt been at his best on the international stage but i think we'll certainly miss him who do we think will step into his place?  

Hmm we'll now find out how important he really is. If Brown continues the form he's in I think we'll miss him.

On a side note I think it's pretty poor for a captain to retire, especially a few weeks before the new campaign starts. Maybe he had a chat with Strachan the other night, or maybe it's been planned for a while.

Very strange time to retire. Brendan Rodgers doing?

He isn't a miss if he doesn't improve drastically from the form he's had for the past few years. Early signs are he's doing just that, which is typical.

We are overrun with options in midfield though so I don't think it's the end of the world. Probably opens the door for Darren Fletcher or James McCarthur to become guaranteed starters.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Very strange time to retire. Brendan Rodgers doing?

He isn't a miss if he doesn't improve drastically from the form he's had for the past few years. Early signs are he's doing just that, which is typical.

We are overrun with options in midfield though so I don't think it's the end of the world. Probably opens the door for Darren Fletcher or James McCarthur to become guaranteed starters.

Been rumours for years that he has hip and knee issues that would mean he was unable to play into his 30's. Perhaps something to the rumours, but it's fair to say that for both club and country he is useless when he isn't 100% fit.

Would imagine Rodgers has said to him that his place in the team is more secure if he's not playing international football. He's been a good player for us for years, albeit being on the decline recently. Not necessarily a bad thing if it encourages us to bring through more options in central midfield, we're relatively strong there anyway. 

He'll be missed in the short term if he keeps playing like he has so far this season, but it's probably good for the long term.  I think Strachan would keep him in the team too long to the detriment of some of the younger guys in that position.

I can see Strachan giving it to someone other than Darren Fletcher purely because he is a c**t like that. No doubt give it to some clown like Hutton or the other Fletcher.

The reality is it will be Darren Fletcher though.

It doesn't make much sense to give the armband to Fletcher now when he's probably not going to be guaranteed a game, and he's not going to be around much longer.  Hanley would be my choice - he's going to be a mainstay of the team for the next while anyway, and I think it would probably be a big boost for him ahead of this campaign.

Archived