Diddy Cup 1/4 finals

The Ilford Drummer

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we had a 16 team top league I would gladly see the end of it to accommodate 16 teams in the league , until then and while it's here then I would love to see us win it , it's far removed from what it once was but remember down at Troon a few years ago when Cumnock beat us on penalties after it went a full round of players hitting pens and was gutted to lose , at no point did I leave Portland park shrugging the shoulders saying it was only a wee diddy cup anyway, would be the same this year if we lost the final , have yet to taste diddy whisky out of any trophy so there's no diddy cups for me . :) 

4 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

Bursting their baws cotter really ? Swifty Kilbirnie ' we have used league cup as part of our pre season ' . Chris Strain jnr Kilwinning ' with all due respect to the competition , its not the be all and end all ' and 'in context its about preparation for the league '.

Its nothing but a glorified pre season competition that costs full money. All about Lugar getting a game with Talbot , the Ants a game v Pollok without earning them.

So Swift puts out a team that fails to beat AWR on sat and saves a hard trip to Hurlford 3 days before a difficult trip to Troon in the league opener, no wonder the bookies stay clear of it.

So Swift puts out a team that fails to beat AWR on sat and saves a hard trip to Hurlford 3 days before a difficult trip to Troon in the league opener, no wonder the bookies stay clear of it.

Swift has won fk all at Kilbirnie, so he can't afford to dismiss any cup ,

So it's a Diddy cup.cos cos bookies don't price up...rubbish  it's just managers who lose use that excuse ..Kilwinning  no chance of winning league..Kilbirnie  no chance of winning  league..so why prepare  for league..when u might have a chance to win a trophy  at the start of season..cos it's a very difficult  thing to do as a junior  manager...it's all about survival  .apart from  Talbot Hurlford Troon Beith n Pollok....the rest fighting  to stay up.....

So a team that finishes 3rd previous season has no chance of winning the league cotter?
Yet beith,troon,Pollok , have?

8 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Kinda felt the same at the start of the season until I noticed teams were missing players often due to holiday - would rather have this scenario in a minor cup contest than starting the league campaign earlier with smaller squads.

FWIW's think there's a place for one Ayrshire/Central district cup (maybe as a qualifier to the big Scottish ala in Germany?)

Is this not the current west of Scotland cup mate albeit there is no big Scottish entry.? 

I'd like my team to win it but I still think since the ayrshire n Glasgow teams joined to make the super league it has become a bit of a joke and yeah I'd go as far as calling it a Diddy cup

If your teams still in it, plays well or wins the trophy it's great. Tends to be taken less serious when your team are disappointing.
I'd rather have this comp than friendly games at the start of a new season. Just my opinion.
I can also remember watching this comp for years and years and getting excited looking for the start of the new league season.

Spoiler

Junior football has a ridiculous number of trophies and these ones should be first to go as part of a streamlining process along with the ET Cup. One Ayrshire or Central area cup competition per season would be plenty.

nobody is going to complain if they win it, of course, but having so many competitions dilutes the importance of them overall. The 'diddy' tag is a bit unhelpful but it's definitely a distance behind the league , Scottish and West as a priority for clubs or an attraction for fans these days.

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Junior football has a ridiculous number of trophies and these ones should be first to go as part of a streamlining process along with the ET Cup. One Ayrshire or Central area cup competition per season would be plenty.

nobody is going to complain if they win it, of course, but having so many competitions dilutes the importance of them overall. The 'diddy' tag is a bit unhelpful but it's definitely a distance behind the league , Scottish and West as a priority for clubs or an attraction for fans these days.

well said that man.

I'd rather have this comp than friendly games at the start of a new season. Just my opinion.
I can also remember watching this comp for years and years and getting excited looking for the start of the new league season.

I agree much better than preseason friendlies.

It will also always be the JACKIE SCARLETT cup for me which was one of my earliest memories of junior football.

19 hours ago, cotter said:

So it's a Diddy cup.cos cos bookies don't price up...rubbish  it's just managers who lose use that excuse ..Kilwinning  no chance of winning league..Kilbirnie  no chance of winning  league..so why prepare  for league..when u might have a chance to win a trophy  at the start of season..cos it's a very difficult  thing to do as a junior  manager...it's all about survival  .apart from  Talbot Hurlford Troon Beith n Pollok....the rest fighting  to stay up.....

Winning the Ardagh would give Swift kudos getting relegated would get him the sack.

51 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

I agree much better than preseason friendlies.

It will also always be the JACKIE SCARLETT cup for me which was one of my earliest memories of junior football.

Why do clubs play friendlies then when they have this cup. Start the Ardagh middle of July , get it out the way quick , treat it then as pre aeason . At the moment clubs are playing 6 , 7 friendlies then wanting to use the Ardagh as an extended pre season. 

The Ardagh has had its day plain & simple . A bit like the old district cups like the North Ayrshire cup . Used to enjoy them as well but no one was interested in the end up. Think we are the only set up about where cups are valued above the leagues .
An I will say that even if we get to the final

4 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

The Ardagh has had its day plain & simple . A bit like the old district cups like the North Ayrshire cup . Used to enjoy them as well but no one was interested in the end up. Think we are the only set up about where cups are valued above the leagues .
An I will say that even if we get to the final

no need to worry The Ford will pump you.

Archived