Ok, what format should the Challenge Cup be?

mrman2011

"...revolutionary Irn-Bru Cup experience..."

An SPFL insider said last night: “There’s an appetite, certainly among the bigger clubs, about the idea of colts and Under-20 teams in League Two.

“Even though both clubs lost games in the Irn-Bru Cup there’s a feeling at the top level of clubs that the experience has helped the young players.

“There would be some challenges regarding making it happen but the feeling is there’s a will for it. It’s something the League itself would also appear willing to consider.”

:rolleyes:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Germany have colt teams in their league system. Germany are World Champions. The two must be related. Scotland will become World Champions if they follow this path."

^^^the logic of some football journalists in the coming days

Still though, the experience gained from those defeats to Brora Rangers, Cove Rangers, Turriff United, and Stenhousemuir is invaluable.

Starting the Colt teams in a League 2 is a step too far. The rule should be that a Scottish Premiership team has the opportunity to register a colt team. Likelihood is that only 6-7 clubs would even consider this. From that they should be put in at an overall restructure below LL and HL with certain rules as to how high they can progress ie League 1. I think more clubs would consider it on that basis rather than a halfhearted attempt to shoehorn Old Firm colt sides into League 2.

Is there anything at all stopping the Old Firm u20's applying to the South of Scotland league, if they so wish? Stirling Uni Reserves play in the East of Scotland, with the 'big' team in the Lowland League, so technically a precedent. Presumably they would have to resign the u20's league and apply to the South of Scotland?

Parachuting them into the professional set-up would make a complete mockery of the pyramid system the SFA are working so hard to implement.

In short, the Old Firm are c***s and every snivelling apologist who thought Colt teams in this joke tournament was anything other than a smokescreen is also a c**t.

43 minutes ago, Paco said:

Is there anything at all stopping the Old Firm u20's applying to the South of Scotland league, if they so wish? Stirling Uni Reserves play in the East of Scotland, with the 'big' team in the Lowland League, so technically a precedent. Presumably they would have to resign the u20's league and apply to the South of Scotland?

A restructured Tier 6 including EofS, SofS, Junior sides and Colts teams is the way forward. Along with Stirling Uni, Spartans had a second team at this level until last season and infact Hibs has a reserve side in EofS a couple of years ago. So in many ways it has already happened.

If they really want Colts in the league set up, they need to change the whole structure. From top to bottom.

And any team that wishes to have a colt teams in the league, the parent club must pay an entry fee each season so lower league clubs are compensated. Plus clubs in lowland/highland would benefit from extra funding.

And depending on which league the Colt team plays in, the value they pay goes up or down.

Basically if you want a colt team, you pay up or shut up.

2 hours ago, Paco said:

Is there anything at all stopping the Old Firm u20's applying to the South of Scotland league, if they so wish? Stirling Uni Reserves play in the East of Scotland, with the 'big' team in the Lowland League, so technically a precedent.

Stirling's particular case - and Spartans before they folded theirs - is slightly different. When LL was formed they simply didn't resign from EOSL.

It would be no use to Rangers or Celtic, as current rules forbid such teams - of which Stirling Uni is now literally the only one - from being promoted. E.g.:

18 As part of the Scottish FA “Pyramid” system, the South of Scotland Football League is “opened” up to promotion and relegation, to and from the Scottish Lowland Football League.

18.1 The winners of the South of Scotland Football League may be promoted to the Scottish Lowland Football League provided that the club meets the required entry criteria.

Promotion is mandatory, providing the necessary entry criteria and qualifying process is met.

18.2 Clubs being relegated from the Scottish Lowland Football League will be allowed to join the South of Scotland Football League, provided they meet the entry criteria.

18.3 Clubs are not allowed to have more than one team in the “Professional” structure.

I've always said I'd wait until this was finished to give it a chance, but it's clear the addition of the Colt teams hasn't really worked. It's pissed off the majority of fans, and the teams themselves have all been papped out early. As much as our game v Hearts U20s was an enjoyable game to watch, it's not really something I'd be in favour of keeping. Was an interesting idea, but no. I'll reserve judgement on the Wales/N Ireland teams until that part's finished too, although in principle, it's a better idea to keep that element of it going forward. Instead of Colt teams, if there is to be extra teams again next year, I'd rather it was more non-league/junior sides. 

And the idea of the OF colt teams entering the league system is an utterly horrific idea, always has been. This needs to be nipped in the bud right now before it gets any more leverage. 

Right guys, a fan on the forum has made up a petition so if you could get it signed and shared on Twitter/Facebook/Club threads and forums whatever then plz do

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-professional-football-league-stop-b-teams-or-colt-teams-being-admitted-to-the-spfl

Sure somebody posted that there was no desire to have these 'Colt' teams in the League, and having them in the Cup wouldn't be in the slightest risky. 

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7232732/A-league-of-their-own-Celtic-and-Rangers-want-Colts-teams-in-SPFL.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20160906-_-Football-_-574821252

It's always been the objective, Celtic and Rangers under 20s in the league set up. They don't give a toss about any of the other clubs under 20s as they don't bring the same levels of bigotry and tribalism to make it saleable to TV.
This goes through and senior football is fucking dead to me as I've no desire to listen to a bunch of fucking c***s chanting about religion and historical events that have f**k all to do with 22 players on a pitch.

When we get the next rehash of the Atlantic League or whatever story in the Daily Record, I'm expecting the principle of Rangers and Celtic taking part but leaving Colt teams in the Scottish Leagues to get more than a padding comment, probably with the line "with the success of Colt teams in the Irn-Bru Cup" in there too.

The problem as far as I see it is far too many games, both in the league and the cups...

Typically it can go 

36 league, maybe 2-4 play offs, 2-3 in the ramsdens cup, 4 in the league cup, 2-3 in the Scottish cup. That's nearly 50 games a season easy. Condensed into 10 months. I remember playing partick thistle 7 times in a season and getting to the ground as it was called off twice. It was fucking dire.

Personally I don't think this cup can be fixed without first fixing everything. No amount of fannying about with it will make Falkirk v Elgin attractive.

6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Right guys, a fan on the forum has made up a petition so if you could get it signed and shared on Twitter/Facebook/Club threads and forums whatever then plz do

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-professional-football-league-stop-b-teams-or-colt-teams-being-admitted-to-the-spfl

Signed and shared.

Archived