Referees

The big ain

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The inconsistency is the worst thing about them, giving a decision for something then a different decision for the same incident - no wonder the players get frustrated

Linesman are supposed to assist the referee's where possible with decisions other than calling offside. Most of them however will wait to see what the ref decides then go with that with no input....even when the incident happens in front of their face and the ref can be 20+ yards away.

The inconsistency is the worst thing about them, giving a decision for something then a different decision for the same incident - no wonder the players get frustrated

Linesman are supposed to assist the referee's where possible with decisions other than calling offside. Most of them however will wait to see what the ref decides then go with that with no input....even when the incident happens in front of their face and the ref can be 20+ yards away.

Good point you have made there.
I think this has a lot to do with Assistants being told that their input is to be responsible for offsides and the ball in and out of play and the Referee will look after everything else.
When I ran down in England you did what it says on the tin, assisted the Referee with free kicks and penalties. You rarely see that happen up here.

At least they are consistently inconsistent hahaha

The ref at the ants game was brutal. Gave a penalty. For now reason even the Neilston  players  or bench never shouted or claimed for anything..it ended up costing  ants the game.....refs can cause u at least  20 points a year..and most get away with terrible  performances..

I always laugh at these types of rants.

I have been refereeing for 5 years my close mate longer and pish like this is why we don't have an interest in the juniors.

People seem to forget referees are people. Do you think we are immune to hurting from abuse ? The stick I see some officials get is nothing short of disgraceful. I agree we can have poor performances of course we can but I have seen things like a referee call a clear offside and proceed to take a barrage of abuse. Now when officials get stick when making the rite call (which happens often) what chance you got. If people think refereeing amateur or junior football is not intimidating at times then your deluded. If referees have a poor game they can be open to criticism yes but not abuse. Theres a big difference.

Its also about angles a referee has a compeltely different view from the "pundits" in the stand. Honestly you guys go into the middle of a park and call an offside correctly when theres a foot in it. Its fucking murder. Its alrite when looking accross the line from the stand. Unfortunately assistants are a rarity at lower levels. If they were used more regularly the standard would improve greatly. 

Why dont you guys go do your exams and show us how its done.  Oh and what training do we get ? Do people really think there is funding there to send referees at this level away on courses ?

Heres an example of how a referee is unfairly criticised. The striker and the centre back tussle all game. Fouls from both its 50-50 who's the aggressor. 65 mins on the clock the striker goes in shockingly on the same centre half and he lashes out. Striker sent off for the tackle and Centre half sent off for the reaction. Full time and both managers want a word with the referee. The ref gave the striker no protection and thats why he went in hard the sending off happened because of poor refereeing. The other manager says the referee gave his centre half no protection and that reaction from him was justified. The referee wasted the game. Both sets of fans saying the same as there managers. Ref wasted the game. Or how about the referee got it spot on and both sides are not viewing it from a neutral stand point. Referee was pish for doing his job and calling a game as he seen it. No fan, player or club member will ever see a game the same as the officials. 

The ref at the ants game was brutal. Gave a penalty. For now reason even the Neilston  players  or bench never shouted or claimed for anything..it ended up costing  ants the game.....refs can cause u at least  20 points a year..and most get away with terrible  performances..

It's all subjective. I bet the Neilston team thought it a good decision. Mistakes by managers and players cost you far more points than a referee ever will.

If it costs u 20 points u surely must get some of the dodgy decisions in ur favour so gain u 20 points my problem isn't with mistakes its attitude of some referees especially the now senior mr napier the guy who referees says ur always going to view a game through biased glasses I've never seen any fan come on here an say that ref was great we got away with a few dodgy decisions there but when one goes against you it full blown rant if there is that many bad decisions how come we only hear from the fans of the teams who the decisions went against referees are only human and get a split second to make a decision and they will never get everyone right so lay off them or get off ur arses and do the course and see how hard and thankless task it is

3 hours ago, cpal said:

We had Michael Taylor at Linlithgow yesterday who is usually a bugger, but had an excellent match & used alot of common sense in difficult conditions.

Correct. Common sense and Michael Taylor in the same sentence:rolleyes:, well let's hope it continues.  

Diamond for life that's the best post I've read on here in ages , you're perfectly correct in saying how can a ref call offsides from the centre circle without assistant refs, spoke to an Amateur referee lots and he openly told me that basically he had to guess at offsides as he couldn't be in line with them and admitted that it was a farce through no fault of his own when it came to offside calls. 

I couldn't do your job for any sort of money , in rugby the ref  is the king and in football he's a scapegoat . 

Best laugh for a while was at yesterday's game between Kello Rovers and Auchinleck Talbot. When one of the assistants was asked about a possible free kick he replied that it depended on whether or not the team committed the offence in their defensive or attacking half of the park.

Best laugh for a while was at yesterday's game between Kello Rovers and Auchinleck Talbot. When one of the assistants was asked about a possible free kick he replied that it depended on whether or not the team committed the offence in their defensive or attacking half of the park.

11 hours ago, classof2010 said:

If it costs u 20 points u surely must get some of the dodgy decisions in ur favour so gain u 20 points my problem isn't with mistakes its attitude of some referees especially the now senior mr napier the guy who referees says ur always going to view a game through biased glasses I've never seen any fan come on here an say that ref was great we got away with a few dodgy decisions there but when one goes against you it full blown rant if there is that many bad decisions how come we only hear from the fans of the teams who the decisions went against referees are only human and get a split second to make a decision and they will never get everyone right so lay off them or get off ur arses and do the course and see how hard and thankless task it is

U kidding  the ants have  never had many decision s go there way..it certainly  doesn't  balance  out like people  say.....I had 8 referees apologise  to me after games. That cost us..it's always  easy  to apologise  .after it.but it doesn't  get u the points back..

Already this season I've saw three assistant refs getting pelters by opposing fans for not giving offside when players are running back from an offside position with their arms up and openly declaring that theyre not involved in the attacking move , assistant referees are getting slaughtered for not giving offsides when they're correct as these players aren't active, as said learn the rules first and then if you really need to then dish out the criticism . 

Archived