Irn Bru Cup 3rd Round

The Naitch

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69
Yeah, still regionalised and seeded.

Doesn't that make it a bit lop sided draw as most of the better teams are the the east section

I'll take a guess at the splits being like this...

North Pot 1 - Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Raith, Falkirk, Alloa, Peterhead

North Pot 2 - Turriff/Montrose, Arbroath/East Fife, Forfar, Brechin, Elgin, Stenhousemuir

South Pot 1 - Ayr, Dumbarton, Hibs, Morton, QOS, St Mirren

South Pot 2 - Livingston, Queen's Park, Celtic U20, Albion Rovers, Airdrie, Stranraer

I'm probably way out with that though.

1 minute ago, The Naitch said:

North Pot 2 - Turriff/Montrose, Arbroath/East Fife, Forfar, Brechin, Elgin, Stenhousemuir

South Pot 1 - Ayr, Dumbarton, Hibs, Morton, QOS, Raith, St Mirren

South Pot 2 - Livingston, Queen's Park, Celtic U20, Albion Rovers, Airdrie, Stranraer

Livingston, Queen's Park, Celtic U20, Albion Rovers, Airdrie, Stranraer

Well, that's the most depressing list of potential cup opponents of all time. Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill would probably be the only one I'd bother going to.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Livingston, Queen's Park, Celtic U20, Albion Rovers, Airdrie, Stranraer

Well, that's the most depressing list of potential cup opponents of all time. Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill would probably be the only one I'd bother going to.

I wouldn't worry - you'll be getting Turriff.

Dumbarton at home, only if our form improves though. Beat them pre-season and would be nice to get one over Stevie Aitken. 

Failing that Ayr, they're probably the weakest of the seeded teams in the south section. 

2 hours ago, The Naitch said:

South Pot 1 - Ayr, Dumbarton, Hibs, Morton, QOS, St Mirren

I think you'll be pretty close, if not spot-on. However, it is hard to predict exactly, as the previous rounds showed.

In R1 they put split the SPFL2 clubs into regions; then seeded by last season's finishing position; then put the lowest in each - East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers - into one pot alongside all the 'B' teams (which had been split into regions), and drew them against the other pot containing SPFL2 clubs who'd finished above them and the non-league teams who'd finished below them (again split into regions).

In R2 things got broadly simpler, just seeded into two pots then divided into regions (IIRC); but Hearts 'B' were put in the North section while Spartans and the winner of Rangers v Stirling Uni were put in the South section.

So if the latter was repeated in R3 you could be looking at Hibs in North and Alloa in South.

Also I think they'd seed Livingston and unseed Ayr too... e.g. Elgin entered in R1, Queen's Park in R2.

Archived