Irn Bru Cup 3rd Round

The Naitch

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I see SPFL are now calling them "Celtic Colts" not "Celtic U20s".

Minor point but why is Ayr v Airdrie on the Sunday?

Haven't they been calling all of the Premiership sides "Colts" since the 1st round draw? Everything I've seen referred to them as Colts.

4 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Did I imagine that Irish and Welsh teams were to be in this cup, or has it happened and they're out and I missed it?

They don't get put in 'til the next round. Fortunately we'll be papped out by then.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Media stuff might have been. All the fixtures, results etc. appear to be saying U20s. In fact the announcement of the dates and TV coverage says Colts but the listing to the right says U20s!!

Just checked. Every draw announcement, fixture confirmation sent to the clubs and website article that I can see refers to them as "Colts". The results page of the SPFL's own website appears to be the only place that actually refers to them as u20's. Personally I'd rather list them as "u20's" as that's what they are rather than this generic "Colts" suffix they seem to have latched on but the SPFL doing so is nothing new, they've done that all along.

For info Premier Sports is Setanta Ireland which explains their interest in picking up Celtic games.

Well not quite - POTM still believes that there can be no credible, commercial reason for a TV company to show three bigot games in a row, in such a supposedly discredited competition: at least now that Arbroath and Clyde fans have indicated that they don't like it. Which matters for... reasons.

So either Premier Sports is showing these games at a financial loss to the organisation, or POTM is just a ludicrous drama queen.

Tough call IMO.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Media stuff might have been. All the fixtures, results etc. appear to be saying U20s. In fact the announcement of the dates and TV coverage says Colts but the listing to the right says U20s!!

I watched the round two draw on periscope Doncaster called all the 20s Colts when being read out.  So just presumed they were being named that.  

Why the name change though...

On 26/08/2016 at 00:46, vikingTON said:

Well not quite - POTM still believes that there can be no credible, commercial reason for a TV company to show three bigot games in a row, in such a supposedly discredited competition: at least now that Arbroath and Clyde fans have indicated that they don't like it. Which matters for... reasons.

So either Premier Sports is showing these games at a financial loss to the organisation, or POTM is just a ludicrous drama queen.

Tough call IMO.

^^^hasn't been reading the thread

I've said numerous times that I know why they're showing games. I don't understand why people would get Premier Sports to see them or how showing Celtic Under 20 games makes the subscription package more attractive. I guess Celtic fans will just watch anything to do with the club, even if it's their youth team playing a bounce game midweek.

Archived