Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

Just beat Juventus 3-0 in the Italian Cup final with Crotone to win them their first ever cup final.

Managed to finish 10th in Serie A despite only being expected to battle relegation. I was on course for the top 6 before a run of 5 games without a win put us out of contention but we qualified for Europe by winning the cup anyway so it's alright.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:08, Richey Edwards said:
On 1/23/2018 at 11:03, robbiep said:

Thank you. I normally start with Annan but I’ve never found a way to have any success on this version

What tactics have you tried? If you're a smaller part time team then it's probably best to keep it simple tactically.

this is something I'd wholly agree with, even at most higher levels; it seems to be a lot easier to make meaningful changes by just leaving the overall tactics at Standard - Flexible and adjusting the individual instructions for players as you see fit.

There's exceptions to it e.g. Contain - Structured with shorter passing will see your team play unbelievably dull, safe football.

Doesn't help that some of the tactical settings are a mess; your teams actual closing down instructions (more vs. less) vs. opposition instructions (always vs. never) is a nightmare to figure out, and the fluff text for the strategies from Contain to Overload fluff isn't very helpful. iirc the team settings are more about risk than anything else, so even though the Counter and Defensive instructions read like they work best if you use high tempo + direct passing they're actually better formations for playing short, possession football than Control is, due to the players making less risky runs/playing fewer risky passes and taking more time over set pieces etc.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

• 2 years later...

Bumpity bump.

Thanks to the nostalgic efforts of @C. Muir & @RandomGuy. I have dusted off the laptop and booted up FM17. 

Decided to start unemployed, but with a National A coaching badge as I'm lazy and didn't want to start right at the bottom. 

Was offered the Rangers job after I pissed off the Sunderland board in an interview, and decided that stopping Celtics dominance would be fun - this will be Rangers first season in the Premiership. Unfortunately this also means I was stuck with guff like Clint Hill and Niko Krancjar on 8k and Senderos on 16k p/w. 

Revamped the backroom staff, stealing Alistair Stevenson from St Johnstone who recommended I sign Chris Kane - maybe I've made a mistake with my Head of Youth Development. Signed Super John McGinn for 1.1m, a striker called Kwesi Appiah for 550k and a CB called Martin Pierre for 500k. Luke O'Nien, who I recognised from Sunderland Till I Die, signed for 275k and loaned back to Wycombe for the season. All pretty solid. 

Nobody out the door except a f**k ton of loans, including Waghorn to Saints, Halliday to Partick and Dodoo to Dundee. 

On to the football, and stopping the Treble Treble. Started strongly (as it should) in the Betfred Cup, beating St Johnstone, Albion, Berwick & Forfar 2-0, 4-0, 2-0 & 2-0. St Mirren dispatched 3-0 in the 2nd round, Morton 2-1 in the Quarter Final, & Hamilton 1-0 in the semi. Failed at the final hurdle however, losing 2-1 to Hearts in the final, who had 10 men for the last 20 minutes. 

Incidentally, the treble treble was easy enough to stop, as Partick Thistle scudded Celtic 5-2 at Firhill in the second round. 

On to the Scottish Cup, and again an early exit for Celtic - this time pumped 4-0 at home by Aberdeen in the fourth round. I snuck by Cowdenbeath 1-0 away. 5th round was a convincing 3-0 win at Motherwell, quarter final was 2-0 away to Hamilton, and the most infuriating part of this season was losing to Dundee on penalties in the semi final, who would go on to lose to Kilmarnock in the final. I should have won 1, if not 2 trophies this year. 

The league was a bit more realistic, although I did manage to avoid getting pumped by Celtic all 4 times, winning one and drawing one - lost both games at Parkhead, 4-1 and 1-0. 

Beat Aberdeen on the last day to finish 2nd, a mere 20 points behind Celtic - they had won the league at the split. 

Kilmarnock bottom, Dundee lost to Hibs in the playoff - the 2 Scottish Cup finalists have been relegated. 

Next seasons targets are Euro Cup Group Stage, Scottish cup semi & qualify for Euro Cup - apparently the board don't give a shit about the League Cup.

Edited by deej