Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

On 27 July 2017 at 09:11, M0rtonfc said:

Looking to get back into FM, quick question, is 17 better than 16?

Cheers

Not massively. I've just downloaded an up-to-date database and started playing 17 again, it is much of a muchness between 16 and 17 apart from the usual 'new features' that really don't add a great deal.

So I had probably the ultimate "shat the bed" moment in FM 2017.  Season 2027-28, Celtic in the Champions League quarter final against Monaco, won the first leg 4-0 at home so feeling confident.  Just before the second leg my first choice Left Back, Kieran Tierney, gets injured with the second choice already out meaning I need to play one of my CB's out of position at LB, still no worries.  Second leg at Monaco I play things tight in the first half with the score at 0-0 at the break, so far so good.  Suddenly my normally quite excellent back 4 completely stop being able to play defence, and I concede 5 times including the losing goal on a clear penalty in the 85th minute to go out 5-4 on aggregate

All be it not playing the new one but managing countries on there own is awful. Won't be doing that again

I've had a couple of good saves with national teams, Canada and Wales spring to mind, but they're always pre-cursors to club football saves. That said, those saves were on old FM's where national team management was a bit smoother.

Managed to get my Galway Utd save back on track to an extent. I've gone from the relegation places to within a few points of 3rd. Although I've now lost Rhys Murphy, formerly of Arsenal 'fame', until the end of the season.

Had one of those ultimate FM European games where we lost the first leg of our Europa League qualifier quite heavily and then managed to get ourselves ahead in the second leg only to lose a last minute goal in injury time. Absolutely gutting, but something that happens every year with FM.

After watching the shambles that is Hearts this weekend I decided to start a new save as Hearts to see if I can do better than Ian Cathro.  I just started and have only done the Europa League qualifiers, beat Infonet in the first round but were knocked out by Beitar Jerusalem in the second round 4-2 on aggregate having lost the second leg 3-1 at home.  Have only made a couple of moves in the transfer market, snapping up Matthew Knox from Livingston and Jai Quitongo from Morton.  Also managed to dump Juwon Oshinawa on Dundee for 100,000.  

I can't be arsed reading the entire  thread but just wanted to add a couple of things:

After playing FM for fucking years without any sort of 'real' success it dawned on me that I'd never set out to man-mark anyone, I actually had to look up how to do it, the result has been miraculous and by adding a defensive midfielder purely to mark the main threat a career that had started quietly with Edinburgh City now has me challenging with Hearts in the top flight :)

When I joined Hearts though one player decided to hold me to a promise to improve the depth of the squad that the previous manager had made to him - I was romping up the league and brought in 8 players in my first window but the c'nt still wasn't happy - and most of the squad agreed with him - I had to try every trick in the book just to beat relegation. C'nt.

Cheery.

So far my attempts to be better than Ian Cathro (not really a tough assignment) are going decently well.  Won 6 of the first 12 league games, with 4 draws and 2 defeats plus am into the final of the League Cup.  Playing a 4-1-2-3 with Jamie Walker and Sam Nicholson as wingers is going OK but getting consistent goals from my strikers has been a challenge. Bjorn Johnson, who is the best rated striker has been poor, 1 goal in 10 appearances while youngsters Jai Quitongo and Matthew Knox have been inconsistent (although Knox did bag a brace in a 3-1 win at Inverness). Esmael Goncalves has been played as a rotation winger but was poor when I put him up top.  

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

So far my attempts to be better than Ian Cathro (not really a tough assignment) are going decently well.  Won 6 of the first 12 league games, with 4 draws and 2 defeats plus am into the final of the League Cup.  Playing a 4-1-2-3 with Jamie Walker and Sam Nicholson as wingers is going OK but getting consistent goals from my strikers has been a challenge. Bjorn Johnson, who is the best rated striker has been poor, 1 goal in 10 appearances while youngsters Jai Quitongo and Matthew Knox have been inconsistent (although Knox did bag a brace in a 3-1 win at Inverness). Esmael Goncalves has been played as a rotation winger but was poor when I put him up top.  

Sign Doolan?

When I joined Hearts though one player decided to hold me to a promise to improve the depth of the squad that the previous manager had made to him - I was romping up the league and brought in 8 players in my first window but the c'nt still wasn't happy - and most of the squad agreed with him - I had to try every trick in the book just to beat relegation. C'nt.

Cheery.

You should've been given the option to speak to him about it when you took charge. A lot of time they drop their complaints after that conversation.

Status update, after 29 games I'm currently second in the SPFL, a long way behind Celtic but 3 points ahead of the third place team, which is Dundee!  (Aberdeen 4th, Rangers 5th).  I have a game in hand over all teams but Celtic, who are my next opponent so the gap will probably stay at 3 points!  Consistent scoring problem had gone away when Jai Quitongo started scoring goals (including 4 in 3 games against Rangers), but came back again when he got injured.  I had sold Bjorn Johnsen for a lack of goals and replaced him with Liam Boyce, who proceeded to take 10 games to get his first goal, which was not helped by the poor service my wingers Walker, Nicholson, and Goncalves had been providing.  At least Arnoud Djoum has gotten some goals from midfield.  

Status update, finished the season in 4th with 61 points which was a disapointment after having been second, 6 points clear of 3rd place with 4 matches to go following a 5-3 win at Ibrox.  Proceeded to lose my next 3 games and draw the finale to end up 4th, which was still enough to qualify for Europe after Celtic won the Scottish Cup.  Need to improve my defense in the off season, Callum Paterson is off to Swansea on a free, my left back situation is pretty dire, and my central defense has been unreliable

Finally succumbed to temptation and bought FM17. Started with Aberdeen and due to lack of funds my transfer window was very uneventful and I ended up only signing two backup players in Erik Cikos (full back formerly of Ross County) and Dean Hammond (midfielder formerly of Sheffield United). Europa League campaign was unbelievably successful and unrealistic. Ended up in the group stages after knocking out FC Mydjytlland, AEK Athens and Anderlecht on the way. Got drawn with Southampton, Schalke and Fernebahce. Even more surprisingly finished third after beating Fernebahce home and away and drawing with schalke once. As a result of my European excursions my league form suffered significantly until November where i went on a 10 games winning streak and now find myself second in March 6 points behind Sellick... Ryan Christie is god on this game.....

Queen's Park just got promoted to the Premiership in my save, a side containing Jason Cummings and Russel Martin.

I took on Derby County. Promoted at first time of asking, since then I've finished 8th, 6th, 4th, 6th and 6th again. Won the League Cup, FA Cup and just won the Europa League. Now the 9th richest club in the world, ahead of Barca and Real Madrid [emoji23]

• 2 weeks later...

I've been fair enjoying my 16 save with Sheffield Utd. Finished 2nd in the Premiership two seasons in a row now with a vastly reduced wage budget than the other big teams. Lost out on goal difference last season.

Was also hoping to get out the Champions League group stage but with Real Madrid, Juventus and Wolfsburg I might have to keep waiting!

Just bought this the other day. Currently in my first season with Morton, just hit November, been rather inconsistent sitting in 4th place but enjoying it so far. Haven't really brought in any signings other than a few youth players and Alex Harris on loan.

Has anyone ever had an issue with using Quitongo? He's never really got going in any of my matches, poor ratings too.

Also, do many people use the 3D match engine or just the old 2D camera? I think the 3D camera is complete cringe.

Just bought this the other day. Currently in my first season with Morton, just hit November, been rather inconsistent sitting in 4th place but enjoying it so far. Haven't really brought in any signings other than a few youth players and Alex Harris on loan.

Has anyone ever had an issue with using Quitongo? He's never really got going in any of my matches, poor ratings too.

Also, do many people use the 3D match engine or just the old 2D camera? I think the 3D camera is complete cringe.

Quitongo seems to take a while to get going in my saves, although I've never managed him early on. Usually turns into a decent lower EPL/high end Championship RW though.

I've not played this ages btw, girlfriend broke my laptop and I've not got enough money to buy a decent one, any recommendations for a cheap laptop would be appreciated

Quitongo seems to take a while to get going in my saves, although I've never managed him early on. Usually turns into a decent lower EPL/high end Championship RW though.

I've not played this ages btw, girlfriend broke my laptop and I've not got enough money to buy a decent one, any recommendations for a cheap laptop would be appreciated

Well he's started scoring a few more but has signed a pre contract with Braga..

On the laptop front I couldn't advise, not my specialty!