Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

On 6/26/2017 at 15:04, MARYHILLISWONDERFUL said:

Scottish Premiership Season 2024/25 (in FM)

Club                      Manager                

1. Thistle                Me 

2. Sevco                Billy Davies 

3. Celtic                 David Moyes 

4. Inverness CT     Allan Johnston 

5.Dundee United   Alan Archibald 

6. St Johnstone    Malky Mackay

7. St Mirren          Jack Ross 

8. Hibs                 Paul Hartley         

9. Dundee            John Hughes

10. Hearts            Craig Levein 

11. Aberdeen       Peter Houston

12. Motherwell     Keith Lasley

Funny how Billy Davies is also managing Sevco in my Scottish save.  

Oh speaking of which, I had a regen player named Aaron O'Connor score 60 goals in all competitions for my Celtic team in season 2025-26, including 4 in a game against Sevco.  Also Scotland made it to the final of the 2026 World Cup, losing against Belgium.  Pretty far fetched World Cup seeing as Canada made it to the Semi-Final. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing an older version of Football Manager last night, '07 to be specific. It is of course a lot more simplistic than the newer versions of the game, something that I prefer in all honesty.

I had to start as my beloved Hibs, during that era we had some team! Old habits die hard with Scott Brown; I've only played eleven games in the league so far, already he has been sent off twice. I've had a few crazy results, a 12-0 defeat on aggregate against Newcastle in the Intertoto Cup not being my finest moment in my illustrious Football Manager career. That result coupled with a 5-3 derby day drubbing at Tynecastle have been the low points of the season so far. A good cup run which has setup a League Cup quarter final tie berth against Hamilton & a 2-1 victory against Aberdeen have been highlights of the season to date.

I have also signed a few familiar names, both Joe Hart & Ryan Shawcross are on season long loans. The former is a marked improvement on Zibi Malkowski, who believe it or not, is as bad on this game as he was in real life -  & people say this game is not realistic...

38 minutes ago, Southside Hibee said:

I started playing an older version of Football Manager last night, '07 to be specific. It is of course a lot more simplistic than the newer versions of the game, something that I prefer in all honesty.

That was my favourite FM, racked up a stupid amount of hours on it. Tempted to give it another go now, whilst waiting for the new one.

19 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

That was my favourite FM, racked up a stupid amount of hours on it. Tempted to give it another go now, whilst waiting for the new one.

Fairly sure this is the game that my old flatmate and I spent about an overall over 100 hours playing on a joint game.  Ended up in 2023 or something with Kaiserslautern (me) and Ross County the two biggest clubs in the world :lol:

Alex Fergusons Player Manager 2001 was amazing and a huge jump from the previous version. If you signed a couple of fast wingers you'd do well and the database was massive for its time, even on ps1. I might go find it and give it a bash.

Found a tactic that works with Saints. Had gone full St Johnstone by beating Dundee 1-0, from a set piece, after 30% possession. Feeling good as I was sitting near the top on deadline day of the second season.

Then Steve Brown sells Brian Easton from under me to Rangers for £250k. Now only got deadline day to bring in a new one. He'd signed a new contract a few months earlier so had inclination to look for a replacement.

12 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Alex Fergusons Player Manager 2001 was amazing and a huge jump from the previous version. If you signed a couple of fast wingers you'd do well and the database was massive for its time, even on ps1. I might go find it and give it a bash.

Loved that game. Used to be able to sell the back up keeper for around 21million then spend it on Johan Dal Tomasson. just to flop mainly but it was a cracking game. enjoyed the highlights.

LMA 2002 was fantastic though.

Playing as The Rangers on FM and looking to invest in some youthful scottish talent only problem I'm going into my 5th season.

Ive actually stumbled on a tactic that works with Saints. Finished sixth first season, then second in the second season. Chris Kane was awful first season, but just bagged 22 in the second.

Remi Matthews, Brian Lenihan, Jordan Spence, Zeki Fryers, Andy Murdoch, Stefan Scougall, Vahid Hambo are the signings I made between the seasons.

I'd highly recommend leeping an eye on Lenihan, Spence and Fryers.

Was the tactic, you manage someone else?

[emoji23] just had one of the best results I've had for fucking years, literally just finished the match, I'll post a screenshot in a minute

As is always the way, my team, who've strolled into the top six for two seasons, comfortably finishing second the last season, and who demolished PSV 6-0, turned to absolute shite purely because we went on a losing run. Lyon - Celtic - Lyon - Rangers - Partick, was my start to the season, obviously lost all five (Partick was the heaviest defeat), and as we all know, a losing run at the start of the season isn't something you can recover from, as morale virtually decides if you'll win or lose. So I'm now stuck with a squad who can't even do the basics and hand goals away, while Chris Kane (who bagged almost 30 goals in all competitions last season) now misses open goals, all because the morale isn't green anymore. I've lost 14 games this season by 1-0, in all the games I've had more clear cut chances, and in most of them its a defensive mistake thats caused it. My keeper ran out the box with the ball, dropped it and a striker scored in a relegation six pointer, I've genuinely no idea how you're meant to combat that.

Sacked in the morning.

I'm still raging. I've won the League Cup and made the Quarters of the Scottish, yet cannot win a league game. It's bizarre.

As is always the way, my team, who've strolled into the top six for two seasons, comfortably finishing second the last season, and who demolished PSV 6-0, turned to absolute shite purely because we went on a losing run. Lyon - Celtic - Lyon - Rangers - Partick, was my start to the season, obviously lost all five (Partick was the heaviest defeat), and as we all know, a losing run at the start of the season isn't something you can recover from, as morale virtually decides if you'll win or lose. So I'm now stuck with a squad who can't even do the basics and hand goals away, while Chris Kane (who bagged almost 30 goals in all competitions last season) now misses open goals, all because the morale isn't green anymore. I've lost 14 games this season by 1-0, in all the games I've had more clear cut chances, and in most of them its a defensive mistake thats caused it. My keeper ran out the box with the ball, dropped it and a striker scored in a relegation six pointer, I've genuinely no idea how you're meant to combat that.

Same thing has happened to me in my Galway United save (no idea why I chose them, I think it was something to do with the fact Scottish haddies can rip it up on the League of Ireland).

Finished comfortably mid-table season 1 (which was actually quite disappointing because we'd been flying high during the middle part of the season), runners up to a very good Dundalk team season 2 and have subsequently shat the bed in season 3.

Last year's season meant I was able to bring in the 2 or 3 players I needed to strengthen my squad and have tweaked the tactics minorly to keep things fresh but I am getting horses off absolute nobodies.