Football Manager 2017

Falkirkyabass

And two weeks earlier for the beta.  Also a 5% discount for every previous title you own on steam is you order through there, up to 20%.  Remains to be seen if that makes it cheaper than somewhere like GMG, but a nice touch from SI.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a teaser video that debuted at Vicarage Road (if that's still Watford's stadium) on Sunday, and then got put up on Twitter afterwards.  It doesn't really show much, but the 3D representation of the ME looks pretty smooth and much improved.

Hasn't stopped people exhibiting some top-class knicker-wetting as usual about it all on the official boards though.

On 20/09/2016 at 09:14, Stellaboz said:

If it's not much different I'll leave it a year. Expensive to pay for essentially an updated database year upon year.

I was the same but the discount - just about - swung it for me.

Its a bit of a make-or-break version this one (well, so i tell myself anyway) in that im fully conscious that theyre staggering the progress of the game to get max reward from min effort since the fm series is a bit of a licence to print money, and theyre phoning it in a bit now. Can see why they do it but its a wee bit risky since theres very little innovation in the series; you get the big jumps from text - 2d - 3d and a few versions tinkering at the edges in each gen, but id love a credible competitor to emerge. Iirc the champ man reboot a few years back died on its arse and was pretty poor.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 20/09/2016 at 09:14, Stellaboz said:

If it's not much different I'll leave it a year. Expensive to pay for essentially an updated database year upon year.

I've said this before, but I'd like to see them move to a subscription based model with regular updates, rather than release a "new" game every year. 

The database could be kept up to date and new features could be staggered rather than trying to code and test them for a yearly release date.

It should mean that we'd get a stable game that kept improving rather than the bug fest we have to wade through each year before the first patch

I don't know but i just can't personally justify the money each year just so i can start a game with Nicky Clark instead of Fez and other squad changes when i can change these myself.

I'm not a hardcore player, I'll generally play the same game all year maybe two and stay in Scotland and England.
I love the challenges too, like to see these stay.

When i had time during school even uni, yes i would pay each year. Not so much anymore.

Actually interesting to see what they do about it, given the specifics won't be anywhere near decided by the time the game is out.  They coded in for the Qatar World Cup to be moved to save them the bother with scheduling, could they turn a blind eye to this too?

ETA; you'll still be able to change it with the editor anyway, unless it's hard-coded in at a later date, which it very well could be.

Edited by forameus

I'd be disappointed if they didn't, as the meltdown will be outstanding. Little did the remain campaign know that FM players were the key demographic...

I imagine they'll definitely include it though. But it'll be two/three/four seasons in

On the 2016 update Meatwad kindly posted there was a simple option to make the home nations leave the EU, with 2020 as the date chosen from the update, but that way meant that even in 2015 you still needed work permits for EU players. That option would be a complete ballsache, but as someone above said it could be hardcoded in at some date.

In a similar vein, Scottish independence being hardcoded at some point would be interesting, or even whether Scotland will be leaving the EU along with the rest of the home nations in the game considering how the voting margins turned out - I don't think it would materially change much since there's a way to treat players from certain nations or regions as being non-foreign and I suspect that Scotland's relationship within the UK & Ireland would fall in that bracket. Really there's a few ways to go with it that wouldn't technically be incorrect but I'm curious to see how it plays out in the virtual world, let alone reality.

Anyway - Thistle tend to be great fun to go as since our promotion to Back Where We Belong, hoping that yet more money being pumped in from the W£IR$ this year to our youth setup is reflected in our youth facilities/junior coaching/junior recruitment, along with the sweet, sweet lack of any bank debt. All dose 5* regens, all dat lack of monthly bank interest...

Joey Jojo Barton will surely start the game "Unhappy", and the Rangers defence will be pretty mince which is nice, but I suspect Celtic will be dishing out a few scuddings to all in the league, at least initially, which is not nice. Plus they have fucking Kristoffer Ajer who will doubtless go for £10m+ and bitchslap everyone else eventually, jammy b*****ds.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

So, this is out on the 4th November and there are precisely no details on any of the features/changes.

There never really is until the month building up to it