Queen's Park V Livingston Hospitality.

14 minutes ago, Afro said:

Fair play to QP, had their tactics down to a tee today and ultimately deserved their win. Easily the worst we have been all season, and gutting that it's happened on the back of three terrific wins. The game against Ayr in the LC was a lot like today, struggled to break down a team when the onus was on us to attack. Definitely something Hopkin needs to solve as I doubt today will be the last time we'll come up against it this season, respectfully. Have to say bringing Mullen and Cadden off was mystifying, you can already tell Mikey Miller is one of his favourites. Guy will just never be hauled off. :lol:

I think QP will surprise a few people this season. It wasn't "pretty" football but if it's as effective for the rest of the season as it was today against us then who cares?

I didn't understand the Mullen sub but Cadden was having an absolute stinker, anonymous and I'd have hooked him at half time, we looked much better when Josh Mullin replaced him.

Everything else is pretty much spot on.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Livithegreat said:

Old fashion tactics from Gus, but they sat in to frustrate and succeeded at it. We just weren't at the races today. 

The national stadium has no atmosphere :( 

Any criticism of Gus has to be tempered with the number of goal-bound efforts that your team had. That was one. Take a wee look at yourselves before slating anyone else.

PS atmosphere comes from being noisy in support of your team. Not much of that today from Livi

37 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Any criticism of Gus has to be tempered with the number of goal-bound efforts that your team had. That was one. Take a wee look at yourselves before slating anyone else.

PS atmosphere comes from being noisy in support of your team. Not much of that today from Livi

Come on now, HD. You are forgetting how much of an atmospheric cauldron the "Toni Macaroni Arena" is.

Well, there were spells especially in the second half when Queen's were stuck in "the big punt up to the lone striker" mode. The times when we did pass the ball out of defence, Livi didn't look too comfortable at all. We were up against a full time team who had been scoring for fun in the league, and according to some here, were going to use our own big wide pitch against us. Didn't work, did it?

Every player in the Queen's side was tremendous today. Standouts for me were Sean Burns and Conor McVey. Great spirit in the team and between the players and the supporters. The new strip looks great too!

How about that big wide pitch eh? Fuckin brilliant Queen's, if we're being brutally honest then I would have taken a point before the game. Thankfully Gus and the players thought differently. Scott Gibson outstanding and well done Sean Burns. Taken off early last week and lost the captaincy but showed what a team player he is. 

13 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Telling your no9 to go to the other side of the park as he's being hooked is old school tactics. 

We had a perfectly good goal chopped off  thems the breaks, but overall we weren't at the races yesterday. 

Well done on your win! 

Hampden will never be a lively place with under 700 people in it. 

On the game...pretty happy with what I'm seeing this year.  The opposition teams we've played so far seem to be in better physical shape, although I've noticed that there is more falling over when challenged.  Yesterday, Livi huffed and puffed with a lot of the ball, but didn't really create decent good chances.  As has been said, Gibson was excellent and I've been impressed with Connor McVey.  Malone worked his socks off and Paul Woods looks to be back at his best.  

All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised with how well we've adapted.

Back five were outstanding yesterday, as a unit and individuals. Burns played the best and most consistent game I've seen in donkeys from him - perfectly balanced going forward with some really clever passes and equally some top challenges in defence. MotM for me yesterday. Woods is back to his tricky best, almost, and was probably feeling the confidence of being the QP male model of the week. Watt's very direct approach is equally refreshing and against lesser defences goals will come his way. Likewise, Galt is such an intelligent player but with a bit more strength than Woodsy. Collectively it's a decent set of choices for Gus, with even more sitting on the bench. 

Tactically the boss got it spot on again. It's amazing how many games we have where oppo fans bemoan how poor their team is. I like to think it's much to do with how Queen's Park make life difficult for them. Clearly some Livi players were expecting an easier day out yesterday, evidenced by the lack of discipline as the game ran on.They'll not be the last to be surprised at Hampden.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 23:58, Spidersmad said:

Well, there were spells especially in the second half when Queen's were stuck in "the big punt up to the lone striker" mode. The times when we did pass the ball out of defence, Livi didn't look too comfortable at all. We were up against a full time team who had been scoring for fun in the league, and according to some here, were going to use our own big wide pitch against us. Didn't work, did it?

Every player in the Queen's side was tremendous today. Standouts for me were Sean Burns and Conor McVey. Great spirit in the team and between the players and the supporters. The new strip looks great too!

Nope, we played too narrow and QP were set up perfectly for how we played, didn't really get in behind your defence to cause them problems. Think Hoppy made a mistake not playing both Mullin and Cadden, don't think we need both Byrne and Miller as holding midfielders in this game and could've sacrificed one to play two wingers. QP closed us down and worked hard to make us look poor but I also don't think we played particularly well or worked hard enough. First half we were rotten, 2nd half improved and we prob deserved a draw with that offside goal being onside but we didn't really do enough to make sure we got something from the game.

Looking at the highlight, we had a few more decent shooting chances than I remembered, but lacked composure to get them on target, maybe that was down to QP defenders closing us down and putting pressure on our player as he was shooting.

Anyway, hopefully this defeat gives our players a boot up the arse with a reality check that they can't just turn up and expect the points without putting in the effort to get them.

Wish there was a better angle of our offside goal but even from that angle it looks well onside.

According to a local journalist he's seen footage and called it an utterly embarrassing call saying 4 maybe even 5 players played Mullin onside. 

Some you get some you don't though.

Archived