Alloa vs East Fife

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

The run will come to an end at some point and after a decent start themselves, East Fife will fancy their chances of being the team who do it.  Jack Ross once again spoke well after the Stranraer game though of the challenge of maintaining good form when everyone is waiting for it to crash. That's encouraging. 

East Fife did very well against us in 2010/11, whereas the  last time I recall us really dominating the fixture was 98/99 when Irvine and Cameron gave EF a torrid time. Other than those seasons, games between the sides have tended to be pretty tight. 

Also 2008/09, seem to recall East Fife had a bit of investment behind them and pumped us 3-0 at Recs- when they had their green and white Rapid Vienna away top. Think they got 2 penalties- we had a loud appeal for one and they ran up the park and the ref gave them their second of the day. All I remember about the day.

Think Paul McManus scored them- he's done well against us over the years and I see he's still there and getting among the goals

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a game at The Recs not long after we were promoted out of the bottom tier and we were 1-0 up when Spider (I think) was sent off halfway through the first half.

Not an unusual state of affairs for Spider Ramsey!!!

He was what I would call a "Chic Charnley Type Player", a horrible cheating little shitehawk every time he played against you but was fucking tremendous when he played for you!!!

One of my favourite ever East Fife players during the Nou Bayview era but a wee shite again when he left and went to Berwick!!!

I remember that game pretty much exactly how you do. Irvine's free kick caught out the keeper and it's the only goal of the four I remember. Still remember sitting in the stand thinking if East Fife just get one back they'll still have a chance because as you say, we were taking a battering and the pressure was relentless. The bar and post saved us in one attack and I think once we came through that unscathed it was a case of "they'll never score today" and we could breathe easier.

I remember a game at The Recs not long after we were promoted out of the bottom tier and we were 1-0 up when Spider (I think) was sent off halfway through the first half. Think we all thought we were in for a pummelling once that happened but we scored almost straight away when Butcher was sent clean through and we ended up winning that game comfortably 5-1.

A 2-2 draw at Bayview is also fondly remembered. Barrie Moffat got one of our goals, McKechnie maybe the other, but it was the Willie McCulloch incident with Mark Cowan at a corner which most Alloa fans will remember. Mark was sent off for a 'phantom elbow' on the keeper who made a miraculous recovery as soon as the card was shown. I used to see Willie McCulloch doing his rounds in his meat van for a few years before/after that. Was actually quite a sound guy but a few Alloa fans never tired of giving him stick whenever he played against us for the next few seasons after that incident. Ah, the good old days.

Funny I thinking about that game earlier but couldn't remember Cowan's name. Gregor McKechnie scored a belter that day for Alloa. The 5-1 game was just as you say & again Mark Cairns was MOTM! Wonder if we'll remember today's game in 15 years time?

6 hours ago, Sevennil said:

I remember that game pretty much exactly how you do. Irvine's free kick caught out the keeper and it's the only goal of the four I remember. Still remember sitting in the stand thinking if East Fife just get one back they'll still have a chance because as you say, we were taking a battering and the pressure was relentless. The bar and post saved us in one attack and I think once we came through that unscathed it was a case of "they'll never score today" and we could breathe easier.

I remember a game at The Recs not long after we were promoted out of the bottom tier and we were 1-0 up when Spider (I think) was sent off halfway through the first half. Think we all thought we were in for a pummelling once that happened but we scored almost straight away when Butcher was sent clean through and we ended up winning that game comfortably 5-1.

A 2-2 draw at Bayview is also fondly remembered. Barrie Moffat got one of our goals, McKechnie maybe the other, but it was the Willie McCulloch incident with Mark Cowan at a corner which most Alloa fans will remember. Mark was sent off for a 'phantom elbow' on the keeper who made a miraculous recovery as soon as the card was shown. I used to see Willie McCulloch doing his rounds in his meat van for a few years before/after that. Was actually quite a sound guy but a few Alloa fans never tired of giving him stick whenever he played against us for the next few seasons after that incident. Ah, the good old days.

Remember that one. Think McKechnie equalised after the red card? McCulloch incident was followed by Sammy Monin winking after getting an Alloa man sent off a couple of years later, we had a tough time with Fife keepers back then :) 

2-0 really flattering Alloa tbh, very even game so far, good free kick for the first one, not sure if it was a free kick though, I'm probably to far away to be sure but it didn't look like a deliberate handball to me, ball fired of him from close range, and the second goal was a complete f**k up from Mercer!!!
A quick goal and we're back in this, a quick goal to them and it's all over!!!

Thought we should've won by much more but East Fife were no push overs. Closing down in the first half was excellent but we should've scored a few in the second half. Jim Goodwin was exceptional and the East Fife directors giving him all sort of abuse made his masterclass even better. Isaac really poor. Didn't look up for it at all today.

Alloa looked a very good side but I think we have them too much respect in the 1st half. Goodwin is a great signing at this level as is Greg Spence. If Kev Smiths effort which rebounded off the post straight back into the keepers arms had gone in we may have managed to grab a point. Lamont made a big difference late in the game and put Alloa on the back foot. Some players looked leggy after the extra time at Arbroath. They didn't give us a doing as they did to Stranraer & Peterhead so let's take positives. 

Two negatives about the match day experience. A lack of disabled parking facilities and £16 entry for a League 1 game ! Spoke with a mum and dad with 2 kids - £48 just to get in !!! No adult and child concessions ! They had also been up at Arbroath on Wed. With prices like that, no wonder crowds are going down and fans are voting with then feet !!!!

Both managers raging after the game about the referee's performance. There's no doubt the free kick changed the complexion of the game. How the ref could that as a free kick but not give EF a pen for a more blatant one is beyond me. Just watched the EF claim again & the guys arm is well away from his body & is a clear pen! In truth Alloa did deserve to win but as KK says had Kev's gone in rather than bounce back into keepers arms it might have been different! Alloa will take some stopping though!

A decent win against an East Fife team who should do quite well this season. I think overall the scoreline was just about right, the substitutions for both sides definitely swung the game more in East Fife's favour though. We missed the quality of Holmes, Flannigan & Spence in the latter stages as their replacements, Layne in particular, were noticeably inferior.

I don't agree alloa deserved to win a draw  at the least would have been a fair result. The free kick they scored from was a joke. Alloa are my favourites to win the league but wasn't too impressed with them to be honest.I also thought they had more impressive players than Goodwin. He will probably be thinking good money for what he does bit I think he will be finished by January  the phonies always eleminate themselves. Referee was constantly incompetent  for both teams a real rocket 

Archived