The East Kilbride FC Thread

The_Judge

Seems to me that the EK news is doing its best to exert a bit of pressure on BSC, which is fair enough. However, they seem to forget that Spartans aren’t far behind either.

Doubt this very much. Just an article done for ek locals in the local paper. Dont think it was intended to reach out to bsc and spread panic. Just a paperfiller. Puts more pressure on ek if anything. And so it should with a tough game against shire on top of allready being 5 points behind bsc. And nobody is forgeting spartans, or the uni or shire or colts. All still in it.

Didn't realise the OF were playing today but I know a few guys who were away due to it being the September weekend.

As to the match....OOFT!!  Well beaten on the day.  ES won the midfield battle hands down and even before young Anderson took a sore one he hadn't made any impact.  Bringing on the more experienced McBride didn't change anything in that area.   Overall I was really impressed with Grant and Greene (4 & 5?).  They looked a wee bit shaky at first but as the game went on they stuck to their task brilliantly.  They gave Campbell very little and whenever we got around the outside it was more often than not one of those two making a block or clearing it.  I only remember the away keeper making one save which was a very good one that kept the score at 2-0.

Sludden's finish for the third was excellent and the pick of the bunch for me.  Rodgers looked a bit heavier than last season but with the ball at his feet still has plenty of quality.  It's hard to believe ES  were 11th (16 points behind BSC) going into to today's game and they seemed to bring a fraction of the support that came through last time although I guess that's because K Park doesn't hold much attraction for them as an away ground?  It was clear from their celebrations how much this meant to some of their players and will be interesting to see if this is the start of a long unbeaten run that can put them back in contention for the title.

As for us we still seem no closer to replacing the goal threat Victoria gave us last season and look promising in the first two thirds of the pitch but much less so where it matters in the final one.  Edinburgh Uni away next, hopefully we don't get schooled again.

Didn't realise the OF were playing today but I know a few guys who were away due to it being the September weekend.

As to the match....OOFT!!  Well beaten on the day.  ES won the midfield battle hands down and even before young Anderson took a sore one he hadn't made any impact.  Bringing on the more experienced McBride didn't change anything in that area.   Overall I was really impressed with Grant and Greene (4 & 5?).  They looked a wee bit shaky at first but as the game went on they stuck to their task brilliantly.  They gave Campbell very little and whenever we got around the outside it was more often than not one of those two making a block or clearing it.  I only remember the away keeper making one save which was a very good one that kept the score at 2-0.

Sludden's finish for the third was excellent and the pick of the bunch for me.  Rodgers looked a bit heavier than last season but with the ball at his feet still has plenty of quality.  It's hard to believe ES  were 11th (16 points behind BSC) going into to today's game and they seemed to bring a fraction of the support that came through last time although I guess that's because K Park doesn't hold much attraction for them as an away ground?  It was clear from their celebrations how much this meant to some of their players and will be interesting to see if this is the start of a long unbeaten run that can put them back in contention for the title.

As for us we still seem no closer to replacing the goal threat Victoria gave us last season and look promising in the first two thirds of the pitch but much less so where it matters in the final one.  Edinburgh Uni away next, hopefully we don't get schooled again.

That was massive for us today mate. We were fantastic all over the park. Best shire performance i've seen in years! As for the support we just have dwindling numbers. Hopefully the result today is just the start!

We really miss a victoria or a smith. Guys who always got us goals. Boys up top just now dont seem to carry the same threat.

Big time, Victoria was an absolute menace last season and gave us such a hard time. Even Gibbons couldnt really get on the ball. As soon as we went 2 up the EK heads just went down and Derek Ure took control.
It's the best defensive display I've seen in a long time from the Shire!

For our declining crowds or anybody debating not coming to the games, yesterday will be the reminder that they need. Best I've felt about football in years.

On 23/09/2017 at 15:12, selfassemblyshire said:

Interesting that the 800 odd people who turned up last year cant make it when the old firm are playing.......

The game last season took place on an international weekend, did it not?

Don't really see why it would be a criticism of folk to go to a game when their own team aren't playing, especially in a town that didn't have senior football until recently.

The game last season took place on an international weekend, did it not?
Don't really see why it would be a criticism of folk to go to a game when their own team aren't playing, especially in a town that didn't have senior football until recently.

Why would you want to build a 5000 all seated stadium when you only have 150 fans?

1 minute ago, luggy said:

Why would you want to build a 5000 all seated stadium when you only have 150 fans?

That's not the point I was replying to.

The point was about locals ditching East Kilbride because they had a more attractive option. These people have likely supported other clubs all their lives, but still occasionally go to K Park.

I'm in a similar boat, having lived in East Kilbride all my days, but was at Tannadice yesterday, in spite of going to East Kilbride games when Morton aren't playing. It strikes me as a pretty cheap dig at them.

That's not the point I was replying to.
The point was about locals ditching East Kilbride because they had a more attractive option. These people have likely supported other clubs all their lives, but still occasionally go to K Park.
I'm in a similar boat, having lived in East Kilbride all my days, but was at Tannadice yesterday, in spite of going to East Kilbride games when Morton aren't playing. It strikes me as a pretty cheap dig at them.

When we were there last season there was a healthy crowd certainly not the 800 you quoted but I did think that EK were a team destined for greater things, then arriving yesterday and see a crowd less than 200 it has changed my mind as to how big a team they could become if that's a cheap dig then so be it.

Just now, luggy said:

When we were there last season there was a healthy crowd certainly not the 800 you quoted but I did think that EK were a team destined for greater things, then arriving yesterday and see a crowd less than 200 it has changed my mind as to how big a team they could become if that's a cheap dig then so be it.

I didn't say you made a cheap dig. I said selfassemblyshire did.

His point didn't appear to be about East Kilbride's potential, rather that their fans are actually Rangers and Celtic fans. I don't see interested neutrals turning up at a bigger match but not turning up at a more run of the mill game is exclusive to East Kilbride.

The last East Stirling game I went to had a crowd of 1300 against Edinburgh City. What was your average last season?

His point didn't appear to be about East Kilbride's potential, rather that their fans are actually Rangers and Celtic fans. I don't see interested neutrals turning up at a bigger match but not turning up at a more run of the mill game is exclusive to East Kilbride.
The last East Stirling game I went to had a crowd of 1300 against Edinburgh City. What was your average last season?

That's a ridiculous comparison considering 1150 were there to see us get relegated.

As a club they do have potential, but if their fans were Rangers or Celtic fans surely the crowd would've been higher?

3 minutes ago, luggy said:

That's a ridiculous comparison considering 1150 were there to see us get relegated.

And more people were at last season's East Kilbride v East Stirling game because it was a bigger game than yesterday's. Why the need to mock them for that when the same has happened to yourselves?

And more people were at last season's East Kilbride v East Stirling game because it was a bigger game than yesterday's. Why the need to mock them for that when the same has happened to yourselves?

No mocking here again simple fact is they are not as big a club as I first though.

1 minute ago, luggy said:

No mocking here again simple fact is they are not as big a club as I first though.

I don't think anyone's pretending they are a big club. The point I'm contesting is that there's some sort of an issue of fans that support different teams watching East Kilbride too. That's the market they're in for support.

By saying it's "interesting" that folk "can't make it", I'd suggest that the original post from selfassemblyshire was very much a swipe at East Kilbride.

I don't think anyone's pretending they are a big club. The point I'm contesting is that there's some sort of an issue of fans that support different teams watching East Kilbride too. That's the market they're in for support.
By saying it's "interesting" that folk "can't make it", I'd suggest that the original post from selfassemblyshire was very much a swipe at East Kilbride.

If you play a league game after around 8 games with a crowd of over 500 the the exact game 1 year later can't attract 200 and the only difference is the old firm are playing??

Just now, luggy said:

If you play a league game after around 8 games with a crowd of over 500 the the exact game 1 year later can't attract 200 and the only difference is the old firm are playing??

Except the Old Firm wasn't the only difference.

East Stirling were seen as East Kilbride's nearest challengers last season. That's not the case this year. The game last season took place during an international break. There was very little football at all that weekend, never mind being up against an Old Firm game.  And the capacity last season was only 550, so a crowd of 800 at that game is greatly exaggerated.

Still let's not let those pesky facts get in the way of a good dig.