St Mirren vs Hibs

I was pretty happy with all of Rae's signings, but it's just not worked so far. We're too light in midfield, Hutton has struggled, Mallan and Morgan have been largely anonymous, Walsh is too lightweight.

We are getting overrun in midfield, which isnt allowing us to gett enough service, and putting too much pressure on a pretty shaky defence. In all our games this season we've been crying out for a Goodwin type player.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Midfield don't supply the forwards, and don't protect the defence. f**k knows what they are doing.

Kyle Hutton isn't very good. Naismith looks bereft of confidence, as does Mallan. On loan rangers players are lightweight and look very inexperienced. 

Need to move to a back 3 with Webster at sweeper and get some protection in there. We play with quite a bizarre high line and hibs just picked us off today.

What summed up our start to the season today was the three kick offs we had. Every one of them, the ball was passed back to Hutton, who blootered it up the park, instantly giving it away. Twice, I think, it went straight out for a Hibs throw. Pathetic.

Shambles of a team we have. Hibs could have withdrawn the keeper and you wouldn't see us score. Hibs strolled it and won without us laying a glove. The sarcastic round of applause when we had a shot in target in the 83rd minute told you everything.

Hutton a ghost when he's not passing backwards.

Crying out for Goodwin type player although saying the we weren't as bad last season when he wasn't playing so Rocco Quinn must have been doing some job. He's becoming better every game he misses!

No service to Shankland or Sutton. Rangers players on loan lack any sort of dig about them.

Ben Gordon on the way out apparently despite not playing and McKenzie no where to be seen despite our defence struggling. Baird and Gallagher for the 2nd Hibs goal is woeful.

I was happy and thought Rae had signed well but the tactics and performances have been very poor and it is thoroughly disappointing. Long hard season ahead.

12 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Shambles of a team we have. Hibs could have withdrawn the keeper and you wouldn't see us score. Hibs strolled it and won without us laying a glove. The sarcastic round of applause when we had a shot in target in the 83rd minute told you everything.

Hutton a ghost when he's not passing backwards.

Crying out for Goodwin type player although saying the we weren't as bad last season when he wasn't playing so Rocco Quinn must have been doing some job. He's becoming better every game he misses!

No service to Shankland or Sutton. Rangers players on loan lack any sort of dig about them.

Ben Gordon on the way out apparently despite not playing and McKenzie no where to be seen despite our defence struggling. Baird and Gallagher for the 2nd Hibs goal is woeful.

I was happy and thought Rae had signed well but the tactics and performances have been very poor and it is thoroughly disappointing. Long hard season ahead.

Good summary of things - particularly about the strikers having nothing to work with and that we weren't too bad last season when Goodwin was missing.

I can accept losing to a better team if our players have at least put in a shift and fought for every ball but there was none of that today and little of that against Morton. The lack of fight is frightening. At no point today did you think we'd get back into things.

30 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Is Jimmy boo OK?

Brand new bud...thanks for your concern:thumsup2

Today went just as I predicted and i'm not hopeful for next week against a poor Ayr. At least I can walk to an away game.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

Midfield don't supply the forwards, and don't protect the defence. f**k knows what they are doing.

Kyle Hutton isn't very good. Naismith looks bereft of confidence, as does Mallan. On loan rangers players are lightweight and look very inexperienced. 

Need to move to a back 3 with Webster at sweeper and get some protection in there. We play with quite a bizarre high line and hibs just picked us off today.

Quite a number of our fans rated Hutton. I wasn`t upset when he chose to leave in all honesty.

Good summary of things - particularly about the strikers having nothing to work with and that we weren't too bad last season when Goodwin was missing.

I can accept losing to a better team if our players have at least put in a shift and fought for every ball but there was none of that today and little of that against Morton. The lack of fight is frightening. At no point today did you think we'd get back into things.

Goodwin didn't play much from January so him going hasn't turned the midfield it's been the weak Hutton and Mallan combination.

I thought we did have some fight against Raith although defensively we were a shambles. However had we scored on that game Hibs would have upped it and won comfortably.

18 hours ago, Zing. said:

I thought, going by what I'd read, most saints fans were delighted with their transfer business and the squad Rae had assembled? 

I think we were to be honest. On paper they looked solid acquisitions for this league but after three games it would appear he has signed some good individuals, but assembled a poor team.

Let's forget the lack of fight for a minute - the distinct absence of any desire to try and score that may give us a fighting chance of competing in the absence of any quality whatsoever. Rae's tactics have been alarming, frankly. Against Raith he starts Shankland and Hardie, our two smallest strikers, and plays hoofball to them for an hour.

Then yesterday he starts Sutton and Shankland (our best two IMO), the former scoring his only goal of a season with a header from a cross, then doesn't instruct the wingers to get any crosses into the box in the first half. Instead it's just lumped balls from deep which are utter shite.

Don't get me started on Hutton either. I'm not one to single out a player to abuse but he's absolutely awful. Again if he showed some desire it would make up for his technical failings. I've been harsh on Mallan recently but there were times when he was dropping deep to pick up the ball and taking some sort of responsibility at least.

When Rae came in last season he imposed two significant changes from Murray's tenure: passion and organisation. These attributes have simply vanished this season. From back to front we are an utter shambles, and I'm dreading the Ayr game next week.

19 hours ago, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

Skunks :lol::lol:

And yet you still can't beat us.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I said in the St Mirren thread, Alex Rae lost his job because he couldn't sign a dominant midfielder, the exact same thing is happening here.

He had one here last season, can't get much more dominating than Jim Goodwin.

Ayr will be my first game of the season, can't wait for the day out but as usual the football will be a distraction.

Gallacher has been fine, made a couple of good saves. Baird made the mistake for the goal, not him.

He threw the first one in. It's pretty much a carbon copy of the one at Livingston. Don't know why he is out there for the second one, he has far more awareness of what is going on in that situation however Baird should've punted it in to the stand.

Gallacher is rubbish. Langfield is a far far better keeper. Langfield wasn't to blame at Raith, Webster hung Langfield out to dry by waddling back instead making any attempt to run.

50 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He threw the first one in. It's pretty much a carbon copy of the one at Livingston. Don't know why he is out there for the second one, he has far more awareness of what is going on in that situation however Baird should've punted it in to the stand.

Gallacher is rubbish. Langfield is a far far better keeper. Langfield wasn't to blame at Raith, Webster hung Langfield out to dry by waddling back instead making any attempt to run.

You and me seem to be in the minority re Langfield. I'm not saying there aren't better keepers out there for us but he is far better than Gallacher, and certainly didn't deserve to be dropped yesterday.

Got to agree, Gallagher should be anywhere near the team. 

If he sticks in and works hard he may be as good as Scrimmy was, but at the moment, he looks as close to being a keeper as I do. 

Maybe he can play centre mid. 

Baird is 100% at fault for the second. If the keeper calls for it or is coming and you have any doubts as the defender you can A. Punt it forward, B. Stick it out for a throw, C. Stick it out for a corner. Knock it past the keeper for Cummings to score a tap in is never the answer!

Langfield gets a lot of criticism but is a far better and experienced keeper. Yes he takes chances, but the Raith goals he was blameless.

Archived