Amatuer pressures

Hughheffner69

it's alarming the amount a teams struggling or folding this year 

is this down to Celtic / Rangers back in the premier , costs of running a club , players no interested 

we have had Drumchapel , pollok , ashvale all good standard of central teams 

then rannoch and also hearing weirs couldn't field a team on Saturday against giffnock 

clubs that have been around the block for a number of years .

weirs had there b team game on but couldn't field a team for there cup fixture 

with the average weekly cost running into the hundreds of pounds a week is that a factor 

a team would need a squad of around 15 or 16 reliable players paying £10 to £15 quid a week 

fines , refs , training , parks , laundry, balls, etc lists  goes on 

very alarming 

Disco 30 think you nailed it younger generation just to interested in modern technology where us more mature( shall we call our self's ) we were happy to get a game of football at any level think it shows with younger guys now just don't care the crazy price you need to pay for parks .refs .kit . And all the other costs you have to pay out the cash is just not there

On 16/08/2016 at 16:47, pleslie99 said:

I think money is the main problem. Costs are ridiculous. Glasgow life are daylight robbers for what they charge for parks and there is nothing anyone can do, we need the parks so need to pay!

glasgow life is actually very cheap, 88 quid for a 2hour 3G park booking, that and 40 quid ref fee means its 65 quid per team for a game, squad of 15 thats less than a fiver a head

We had a young lad of 18 play with us last week for the first time, he came on as a sub and played about 30 mins in his preferred position. When I asked his availability for the mid week game he said he wasn't coming Coz he was expecting to be playing 90 mins every week and that muirkirk jnrs had promised him that. Now if that was 5 years ago and in the same situation then I'm sure The young lad would be happy to bide his time at Clark drive as apposed to trying to call the shots. Player power has never been so high and the lack of players available only makes it worse year on year so teams are having to re think they're whole approach methods to lads and how they deal with the situations.

The problem lies with the whole of the Scottish game to be honest and it drip feeds down the levels. The junior game IMO is in the worst state it has been ever which has a knock on effect on amateur football. Players who would normally play amateur are playing junior and that pattern follows up the leagues with Scottish players.

On 19 August 2016 at 16:49, ekfootball said:

The problem lies with the whole of the Scottish game to be honest and it drip feeds down the levels. The junior game IMO is in the worst state it has been ever which has a knock on effect on amateur football. Players who would normally play amateur are playing junior and that pattern follows up the leagues with Scottish players.

Do you watch junior football every week to form that opinion ?

11 hours ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

Do you watch junior football every week to form that opinion ?

I get the chance to see a lot of junior football and also watch plenty highlights online. I also know a lot of players who play junior and know what standard of player they are so I would say I know enough to form an opinion. You don't need to agree with that opinion but you only had to look at the poor standard of the Scottish Junior Cup Final to see that standards have dropped over the last 10-15 years.

6 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

I get the chance to see a lot of junior football and also watch plenty highlights online. I also know a lot of players who play junior and know what standard of player they are so I would say I know enough to form an opinion. You don't need to agree with that opinion but you only had to look at the poor standard of the Scottish Junior Cup Final to see that standards have dropped over the last 10-15 years.

Scottish cup finals have been terrible for the last 20 odd years , can hardly remember a single good one and don't know if it's the cameras , Bigger pitches or maybe the occasion that gets to the players as seldom do you see a good final . 

Cant really say in general that the juniors is much worse than ever before and lots of times we look through rose tinted glasses and think that it was all great in the past  , I've watched it non stop for decades and remember poor standards in every decade along with good standards , would say the senior game has fell at an alarming rate though .

2 hours ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

Scottish cup finals have been terrible for the last 20 odd years , can hardly remember a single good one and don't know if it's the cameras , Bigger pitches or maybe the occasion that gets to the players as seldom do you see a good final . 

Cant really say in general that the juniors is much worse than ever before and lots of times we look through rose tinted glasses and think that it was all great in the past  , I've watched it non stop for decades and remember poor standards in every decade along with good standards , would say the senior game has fell at an alarming rate though .

Exactly the point I am trying to make. The problem starts at the top of the senior game and it filters down throughout all football in Scotland. Many people keep going on about finances etc and yes that is the main issue from the top to the bottom. The SPL royally messed up with the Setanta TV Deal and it has caused years of pain for our national game. We are a good enough country to provide a very sellable product yet we are continually shafted by sky and the powers in England. It has left us so far behind other countries and the quality of our game is suffering yet we have two of the biggest clubs in Britain and some of the brightest young coaches I could go on all day about this subject but the point being made is it starts at the top and that's where answers need to be given. The SFA are aware of this and I know for a fact Stewart Regans idea is to bring everyone together in one big pyramid system. Whether that's the answer or not is the question but I know the SFA are looking at all football across the country as it has been badly effected by the men at the top in the last 15 years.

On 18/08/2016 at 21:56, 54_and_counting said:

glasgow life is actually very cheap, 88 quid for a 2hour 3G park booking, that and 40 quid ref fee means its 65 quid per team for a game, squad of 15 thats less than a fiver a head

The home team needs to pay for the park. The away team contributes half of the money towards the ref.

So a home team (at your prices) is 108 quid just to get a game played, that's before they pay anything towards hospitality after the match if they do this, get the strips washed etc AND finance training twice per week for their club.

You need 12-13 guys paying a tenner on a Saturday just to cover your home match. Then you also have running costs like league fees, fees for entering National Cups, leagues charge you per booking and red card also, strips, balls, training gear, bags, tracksuits etc etc

Aye just a fiver a head covers it eh?

Deary me.

100% agree crazy feet 5er a head to run a club is nowhere near enough to cover all that u mentioned above. Prices of parks is a disgrace Glasgow life would rather 7s and split the park into 3 or 4 sections charge nearly 50 quid a 7s park. It's al to do with making money if u ask me.

2 hours ago, Crazy Feet said:

The home team needs to pay for the park. The away team contributes half of the money towards the ref.

So a home team (at your prices) is 108 quid just to get a game played, that's before they pay anything towards hospitality after the match if they do this, get the strips washed etc AND finance training twice per week for their club.

You need 12-13 guys paying a tenner on a Saturday just to cover your home match. Then you also have running costs like league fees, fees for entering National Cups, leagues charge you per booking and red card also, strips, balls, training gear, bags, tracksuits etc etc

Aye just a fiver a head covers it eh?

Deary me.

our league every team splits match costs, as i said its 88 quid for a pitch for 2 hours and 40 for a ref, our setup has it that the away team pays 25 to the home team and covers the refs 40, so the away team costs are no more than 65, if the home team books a more expensive park then they cover extra costs

so yeah a fiver a head covers it, no one mentioned hospitality costs after the game, thats optional ffs, our strip washing is a rota, the guys do it once every cycle, we dont have fines for bookings, our league and cup costs are 100 quid a season in total, the extra money raised every week ends up going towards matchballs when needed etc, if we need it then every guy pays a tenner at the start of the season for league fees, and if they want new kits they sell football cards or pay the money for themselves

training we usually find a spot at bellahouston park, or any public park, until the nights kick in earlier, then we try get toryglen etc, at 42 quid for a 7's park per hour once a week, enough guys paying 3 quid a head does it, so for us less than a tenner a week covers all seasonal running costs

3 hours ago, ekfootball said:

Exactly the point I am trying to make. The problem starts at the top of the senior game and it filters down throughout all football in Scotland. Many people keep going on about finances etc and yes that is the main issue from the top to the bottom. The SPL royally messed up with the Setanta TV Deal and it has caused years of pain for our national game. We are a good enough country to provide a very sellable product yet we are continually shafted by sky and the powers in England. It has left us so far behind other countries and the quality of our game is suffering yet we have two of the biggest clubs in Britain and some of the brightest young coaches I could go on all day about this subject but the point being made is it starts at the top and that's where answers need to be given. The SFA are aware of this and I know for a fact Stewart Regans idea is to bring everyone together in one big pyramid system. Whether that's the answer or not is the question but I know the SFA are looking at all football across the country as it has been badly effected by the men at the top in the last 15 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/37163487

The standard maybe has fallen a bit in the juniors but don't really recall any right backs of the 70s/80s/90s producing this do you? 

15 hours ago, Hertha/BJFC1938 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/37163487

The standard maybe has fallen a bit in the juniors but don't really recall any right backs of the 70s/80s/90s producing this do you? 

Great hat trick but see to be honest I don't rate Tam Hanlon at all. Very strange footballer the way he plays the game. Its hard to describe but he just doesn't look like a footballer when he plays. I've watched him plenty of times to form this opinion but take nothing away from him 3 cracking goals.

15 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

our league every team splits match costs, as i said its 88 quid for a pitch for 2 hours and 40 for a ref, our setup has it that the away team pays 25 to the home team and covers the refs 40, so the away team costs are no more than 65, if the home team books a more expensive park then they cover extra costs

so yeah a fiver a head covers it, no one mentioned hospitality costs after the game, thats optional ffs, our strip washing is a rota, the guys do it once every cycle, we dont have fines for bookings, our league and cup costs are 100 quid a season in total, the extra money raised every week ends up going towards matchballs when needed etc, if we need it then every guy pays a tenner at the start of the season for league fees, and if they want new kits they sell football cards or pay the money for themselves

training we usually find a spot at bellahouston park, or any public park, until the nights kick in earlier, then we try get toryglen etc, at 42 quid for a 7's park per hour once a week, enough guys paying 3 quid a head does it, so for us less than a tenner a week covers all seasonal running costs

What league do you play in?

If you're wanting to be serious about your football you need more than a 7 a side park for an hour once per week for training.

39 minutes ago, Crazy Feet said:

What league do you play in?

If you're wanting to be serious about your football you need more than a 7 a side park for an hour once per week for training.

We're a sunday league but all our guys play sat football so they all train once a week differing nights with their sat team, so once a week for us is working out just fine 

Ran a 6 a side team about 6 / 7 years ago (played at forthbank but we were all Falkirk based) and cos we had a reasonable size of squad we fancied joining an 11 a side league. The costs were astronomical. We immediately dumped the idea as it simply wasnt possible. The infuriating thing is that local councils see football as a way of profiteering. They would still have to have parks and ground staff if there was no amateur football. Its high time that all local councils were properly and independently audited to see how much of the cash they raise through amateur and youth football is pure profit.

Spoke to a guy tonight who knows a junior football manager well and the junior manager has gave every player signed this year an ultimatum as opposed  to paying for his club costs off his own back as he's done the last few  few years , the ultimatum is that every signed player must bring in £500 per season to the club , a few players can bring that in right away through their work sponsorship , other guys maybe through selling hidden team cards throughout the whole season , other guys through selling other smaller forms of sponsorship , let's think about it guys at amateur level , is it hard for an 18 man squad per person to sell a 60 square hidden team card , £30 to the winner and £30 to the club per week ? 

£30 to the club x 18 players /staff equates to £540 per week and £28,080 per year . 

Is this really too hard to achieve if players / staff take a hidden team card to their work/ local pub / friends / family  members at £1 per shot? 

£540 per week makes any amateur club get through things easily and £28,080 per year is enormous , just a wee thought . :)

Archived