Should Scotland & other countries boycott UEFA events over Champions League plans?

Davie Bhoy

Well just as it says on the title. I know that just now the proposals are that the big 4 countries will be guarantee 4 places for the CL. The current set-up already frustrates & annoys a lot of people because of how many clubs they get into the tournament, and also how easy it is for their clubs not guaranteed a group place to get into it, while Champions of other countries have to play several qualifiers.

The new proposals go even further and go some way to pushing clubs from smaller countries out the picture. So what can be done about it?

Well what if the FA's of places like Scotland, Portugal, Wales, N.I, Sweden, Holland, Portugal, Rep of Ireland, Norway, Denmark, Croatia, Russia, Ukraine etc all got together & put their own pressure on UEFA to tell them that if these proposals go ahead then they will boycott any Euro Championship's & club competitions? Surely FIFA would then have to stop pandering to the big countries.

Opinions on this or what else can be done in your view?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rugster said:

They need to rename it. Calling it the Champions League is just a sham when you can have four or five teams from the same country in it.

The sooner a European or World Super League happens, the better as far as I'm concerned. Not that I'd really be that interested in watching it. Hopefully they'll take Celtic and Rangers with them.

Next move will be to amalgamate the Europa League and Champions League Group stages.

16 groups of 6, with the group winners moving into the CL last 16 and the 16 runners up dropping into a consolation cup 16.

I don't think UEFA would give a f**k it those Nations Clubs you mentioned boycotted. More room for the bigger Nations Clubs would be their thought.

Was thinking more that if those countries threatened to Boycott the European Championships then UEFA would be forced to have a re-think. Good luck to them trying to have a Championships with just 4-5 countries taking part (expecting the French to jump on the coat-tails of the big 4)

Just now, Davie Bhoy said:

Was thinking more that if those countries threatened to Boycott the European Championships then UEFA would be forced to have a re-think. Good luck to them trying to have a Championships with just 4-5 countries taking part (expecting the French to jump on the coat-tails of the big 4)

Doubt they'd need any luck was all the sponsors and TV money that would be following them to their re-branded Uefa Champions League to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Next move will be to amalgamate the Europa League and Champions League Group stages.

16 groups of 6, with the group winners moving into the CL last 16 and the 16 runners up dropping into a consolation cup 16.

You're probably right there. Would be better that the clusterfuck they have at the minute with 3rd placed teams falling from one to the other.

18 minutes ago, sjc said:

You're probably right there. Would be better that the clusterfuck they have at the minute with 3rd placed teams falling from one to the other.

They've already gone from 3 competitions to 2, this would be the next step. They will fix the seedings to ensure that the vast majority of the 16 group winners are the teams from the top 4 leagues, and those that don't quite do what they were meant to will wind up in a fall back contest with other moderate to big teams that will ensure they still receive enough money from the contest. Group stage prize money will drop significantly(With much more going to sides who reach the last 16 of both knock out competitions) but with more diddy sides guaranteed at least 1 glamour tie against a big name they will probably just accept it.

Then in 5/10 years time it will evolve again and the diddies will be cut further.

Just now, Ross. said:

They've already gone from 3 competitions to 2, this would be the next step. They will fix the seedings to ensure that the vast majority of the 16 group winners are the teams from the top 4 leagues, and those that don't quite do what they were meant to will wind up in a fall back contest with other moderate to big teams that will ensure they still receive enough money from the contest. Group stage prize money will drop significantly but with more diddy sides guaranteed at least 1 glamour tie against a big name they will probably just accept it.

Then in 5/10 years time it will evolve again and the diddies will be cut further.

Think you're right there. Can definitely see a push by owners for a World Super League though. The money in Chinese football must be making them nervous I suspect.

8 minutes ago, sjc said:

Think you're right there. Can definitely see a push by owners for a World Super League though. The money in Chinese football must be making them nervous I suspect.

I can see an expansion of the World Club Cup into a tournament that actually has some kind of relevance, but with the time differences involved and the traveling distances I can't see the European sides giving in to those demands too soon. Until the Chinese and Americans start attracting the top talent at the peak of their careers rather than almost men and pension topper uppers the club game will remain mostly Eurocentric.

Doubt they'd need any luck was all the sponsors and TV money that would be following them to their re-branded Uefa Champions League to be honest.

You're still thinking of club football. I'm talking of the Euro's. I get that if it was just the clubs taking the stance then UEFA could well call their bluff as it'd be manageable. However if the countries they have shat on refuse to take part in the Euro's or World Cup, then I'm sure UEFA would need to have a rethink.

Just now, Davie Bhoy said:

You're still thinking of club football. I'm talking of the Euro's. I get that if it was just the clubs taking the stance then UEFA could well call their bluff as it'd be manageable. However if the countries they have shat on refuse to take part in the Euro's or World Cup, then I'm sure UEFA would need to have a rethink.

Then these Countries would be slitting their own throats.

2 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I can see an expansion of the World Club Cup into a tournament that actually has some kind of relevance, but with the time differences involved and the traveling distances I can't see the European sides giving in to those demands too soon. Until the Chinese and Americans start attracting the top talent at the peak of their careers rather than almost men and pension topper uppers the club game will remain mostly Eurocentric.

The "39th game" suggests they've already thought about it. When I say a WSL I mean like a roadshow where the Clubs involved don't necessarily play half their games at home! Total bullshit imo but just look at 105,000 at the Rose Bowl for RM v Chelsea etc.....

According to a Gab Marcotti tweet, the changes don't go far enough for the clubs,

Some big clubs wanted more: wild card for historical merit, weekend games, co-ownership of competition

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

The "39th game" suggests they've already thought about it. When I say a WSL I mean like a roadshow where the Clubs involved don't necessarily play half their games at home! Total bullshit imo but just look at 105,000 at the Rose Bowl for RM v Chelsea etc.....

Yeah, the "International Champions Cup" or whatever it was called is definitely a flyer for what will follow at some point. The problem I see at the moment though is that while it is obviously attractive to casual football fans or guys who support European clubs in the US and in China, it really doesn't appear to have great demand amongst the domestic fanbase of the clubs involved, with Celtic's trips to Ireland being the only matches that carried any significant away support in the traditional sense.

If they push it too quickly there is a chance it will alienate fans. I think it will definitely happen at some point though.

Knowing the greed is good mentality the only change they would make to 16 groups of 6 is they would all go through to;

Top two through to Champions Cup knockout stages making a last 32,

3rd &4th through to Europa Cup Knockout stages of last 32

and

5th & 6th through to Consolation Cup knockout stages of last 32

Back to three trophies and all noses in various troughs

1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

Knowing the greed is good mentality the only change they would make to 16 groups of 6 is they would all go through to;

and

Can't see them bringing back a 3rd Euro Club Comp tbh. Doubt they'd want to split the money further. More likely to go to just 1 than 3 imo.

12 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

and

4/5/6 will be bumped out. It guarantees more of the pot for the bigger sides. There is a small chance the 3rd placed teams might get something in that kind of set up, but even then I can't see it.

Archived