Aberdeen U20s v Forfar

dee_62

I grew up five miles from Pitmedden. Not particularly bothered about this one, good to get the U20s playing a senior side but still think the whole Colts thing devalues the Challenge Cup. 

4 hours ago, dee_62 said:

I see this one's caught the imagination of the P&B faithful. Anyone going tonight? Anyone care? Anyone know where Pitmedden is?

In answer to all three questions: yes, yes and yes.

Missed the last round as I was on the red eye flight out of Edinburgh into Europe for the game against Maribor, but I heard the young lads out up an impressive display in dismissing Formartine United. This will be a massive step up in class for them tonight though. Last time I saw Forfar was at Balmoor in February and they looked good going forward, albeit fragile at the back. Not sure what changes Gary Bollan has made over the summer. Perhaps one of the Loons can update me?

While I understand fans of lower league clubs are vehemently against Under 20s being involved, from a selfish point of view, a game like this is far more valuable than that nonsense Under 20s league. In the long term, I'd love to see our young team in Scottish League football, as it is far too big a jump between under 20s and first team level just now. The return of reserve football is utterly pointless. The more properly competitive games they get under their belts, the better.

While Forfar were relegated last season, they are at the top end of League Two and I would be stunned if an immediate return to the third tier isn't achieved. As such, our young lads have their work cut out tonight, and I would place Forfar as favourites for this one.

As for North Lodge Park, it's essentially a Junior ground with 2 small stands and 2 small enclosures plonked on it, by a megabucks owner who has so far failed to buy Formartine United a Highland League title. The parking is rotten as well. It is a nicely appointed ground but it still feels like a Junior ground, in comparison to the likes of Inverurie Locos and Turriff United which feel more senior.

Predict a thrilling 3-2 win for Forfar, with goals aplenty.

We are still good going forward and fragile at the back (perhaps even more so on both counts - 12 goals in 2 league games so far).

From what he's saying in the paper Bollan's taking this seriously - he shouldn't, we should just play our own under 20's and rest the first team for a more important game on Saturday. Only hope would be that maybe he'll spot someone in the Don's team that might be candidate for a loan.

We are still good going forward and fragile at the back (perhaps even more so on both counts - 12 goals in 2 league games so far).

From what he's saying in the paper Bollan's taking this seriously - he shouldn't, we should just play our own under 20's and rest the first team for a more important game on Saturday. Only hope would be that maybe he'll spot someone in the Don's team that might be candidate for a loan.

The ones we've had from the Dons in the past have been utter pish , we don't need loans , when we've 40 a day smoker & goal scorer #bigjim [emoji377]

Did anyone go?

Aye. I was there. Will post a fuller reply tomorrow lunchtime when I'm more awake. Really pleased with our young team tonight, they handled being down to 10 men very well, and the third Forfar goal was flattering. 2-1 would have been a fairer reflection.

Nonetheless a superb performance and a game where the players will learn so much more from than an under 20s league game. All the best to Forfar Athletic.

Ended up going. Comfortable win for the Loons, made easier with the 1st half sending off of the Dons centre half.

Aberdeen had some good phases throughout and a couple of very exciting prospects but in typical U20s style while there was lots of pace, movement and sharp passing, they didn't seriously threaten Adam in goal very much.

Forfar always looked more likely to score (particularly 2nd half) and could have had another few goals with Bain hitting the bar, Peters clean through and trying to set up Milne instead of shooting and Hay firing just over from outside the box. Keeper also made a full length diving save from Swankie but I'm not sure if it was sneaking in or not.

ETA. Andy Munro went off with what looked like a thigh strain. TOB dropped back the centre half. Not sure how bad a strain it was.

Not very often I come out of a defeat feeling positive but I did last night. Please with the way the young lads played and adapted to being down to 10 men. The red card was a stick on red card, Roscoe came in at a high pace, with very little control, going over the ball. The referee got it spot on.

After the red card, we did well in the first two thirds but struggled for creativity with only one up front. Joe Nuttall looked lost on his own up there and didn't win much at all, whereas first 18 minutes or so, with Frank Ross beside him, they looked capable of threatening.

Defensively, the team worked very well, with a good compact shape, Wright and McLennan starting to track very well. Thought Robertson and Omolokun at centre half put in excellent displays sweeping up and reading danger, Thomas put in a good shift in the middle of the park while Scott Wright and Jamie Henry were superb. The only player who I felt was poor for us was Joe Nuttall.

The goals that Forfar Athletic scored came from our own overplay - the first where young McLennan held the ball too long and Forfar broke with great pace, the second where Omolokun tried to play out rather than playing up the line, the third from Thomas being caught in possession on the edge of our box at the end. Nonetheless, that is not a whine, Forfar second half pressed high up the park and forced errors. Thoroughly deserved their win.

For Forfar, I thought Danny Denholm was unusually subdued, but Josh Peters up front looked very impressive, as did Marc Scott down the right. The two centre halves were in total command after the 18th minute until we changed about 65 minutes in back to two up front, where we looked better.

As stated before, the players will have taken far more from that than any Development League match, and I would like to see them play far more competitive matches than the nonsense Under 20s league.

All the best for Forfar Athletic for the rest of the competition, and season. A good team who should (and likely will) be promoted back to League One. Thank you for treating the game with a strong respect and putting full effort in, rather than being insulted by playing our youngsters. If only other clubs had that mentality.

Archived