Left back - what to do?

Gordopolis

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather play with 10 men than have to endure another Campaign of that fool Hutton rampaging forward at every opportunity to then proceed to give the ball away and then struggle to track back and barely even muster a tackle........

2 minutes ago, troopio said:

I would rather play with 10 men than have to endure another Campaign of that fool Hutton rampaging forward at every opportunity to then proceed to give the ball away and then struggle to track back and barely even muster a tackle........

Hutton is horrendous for A.Villa.  but when ever he plays for us he is pretty good in my opinion. I think he gets the shite stick due to the whole defence being ropey.

Don't understand the outcry from Aberdeen fans with Shinnie. Infact, as much as I dislike Strachan's prehistoric ways I get really confused with Aberdeen fans' reactions to every squad announcement. Yes, they do have good players but none are good enough for a starting place in the Scotland 11, and I also think there are plenty players to choose from that are better than the players Aberdeen have.

Shinnie is our 4th best left back. The only reason I would have him in the squad is because of the 'Mulgrew factor' which basically means he can do a job in about 18 different positions. But taking away his versatility, he shouldn't be in the squad if the rest are fit.

2 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Joe Bryan is another left back who is having a great start to the season in the Championship. Scored a cracking goal as well at the weekend.

Had never heard of him until I saw your post. 22 with 100+ first team games under his belt. Playing at the same level as Hutton. Surely worth a look?

Being versatile should be utterly irrelevant when selecting players at International level. You've a squad big enough to allow you to have at least 2 fit players for all 11 positions, there is no need to have 'jack of all trade' Mulgrew types like you might need at club level where you are building a squad to last a season and all the injuries and suspensions that come with that.

Hutton is horrendous for A.Villa.  but when ever he plays for us he is pretty good in my opinion. I think he gets the shite stick due to the whole defence being ropey.

Yep, Hutton usually plays well for Scotland, got no issues with him continuing there until a better alternative crops up.
Being versatile should be utterly irrelevant when selecting players at International level. You've a squad big enough to allow you to have at least 2 fit players for all 11 positions, there is no need to have 'jack of all trade' Mulgrew types like you might need at club level where you are building a squad to last a season and all the injuries and suspensions that come with that.

Hallelujah, amen to that.

• 2 weeks later...

Robertson, Tierney, Kingsley and Shinnie. 

A back 4 of left backs!

Wallace is our 5th best left back, plus we have Hendrie coming through as well, realistically if he didn't play for Rangers and the Rangers fans didn't keep bringing his name up he would never get a mention. Lee Wallace isn't that good..

I disagree, it's useful to have players who can play in a few different positions within a matchday squad. Allows for altering the formation or shape of the team within a game without using all of your subs.

Archived