Left back - what to do?

Gordopolis

On ‎14‎-‎08‎-‎2016 at 07:57, craigkillie said:

Tierney is a better defender than Robertson - I'd pick him in the bigger away games.  Robertson can do more going forward, so I'd pick him in the home games.  We could also think about Tierney at right-back if Hutton doesn't start the campaign well.

What do you mean IF Hutton doesn't start well ha, he is utter horse s**t and well past it, we should be looking beyond him now

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who Plays RB for Arbroath? Willing to bet they can at least do what an RB is meant to do and that is actually defend, Hutton cant

Even though I'd love to see Mark Whatley capped Huttons still the best choice there for just now

If only Tierney was right footed

How's John Souttar looking? He could play RB or allow Martin to play there. I see Stoke are hoping to sign his wee brother Harry.

I'd rather have Martin at right back and use Berra at centre half.

22 hours ago, woof! said:

How's John Souttar looking? He could play RB or allow Martin to play there. I see Stoke are hoping to sign his wee brother Harry.

I always thought John Souttar would be a better right back than centre half or defensive mid. That said I would like to see him play maybe one game there before we go selecting him for the international team.

On 14/08/2016 at 11:12, Dunning1874 said:

The same Stephen Kingsley who was mentioned in the OP and in several other posts in thread already?

I've not seen anything of Kingsley at Swansea myself but good to hear we have another defender doing well. Discounting Kingsley due to my own lack of knowledge, I'd have the general pecking order of left backs as Robertson, Tierney, Shinnie, Wallace, Whittaker.

I have seen Kingsley a few times at the liberty, and my in laws are swans season book holders.  They love him and only have great things to say about him. I personally much prefer robertson as left back,  and from the games I have seen Kingsley he would slot perfectly into CB position and with Ashley being sold to the toffees he may get his chance there.

Souttar shouldn't even be mentioned. Miles from international standard. Tierney is being judged on a good 8 months, if he can sustain it then fine, but his level will likely dip this season so Robertson needs to be first choice.

No idea about Kingsley.

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Souttar shouldn't even be mentioned. Miles from international standard. Tierney is being judged on a good 8 months, if he can sustain it then fine, but his level will likely dip this season so Robertson needs to be first choice.

No idea about Kingsley.

Souttar has more technical ability than any of our other defenders. He still has to prove he can defend to a high standard but he's still a young player. If Tierney performs in the up and coming Champions League qualifier I'd have him as first choice. He's a natural defender, and I can't actually remember anyone beating him. Robertson second choice or further up the park. Kingsley is 5ft 10 in, so not a great option at centre back.

3 minutes ago, woof! said:

Souttar has more technical ability than any of our other defenders. He still has to prove he can defend to a high standard but he's still a young player. If Tierney performs in the up and coming Champions League qualifier I'd have him as first choice. He's a natural defender, and I can't actually remember anyone beating him. Robertson second choice or further up the park.

Robertson had Mahrez in his back pocket on Saturday, yes he is excellent going forward but the boy can still defend.

It's a great headache for Strachan to have.

Souttar has more technical ability than any of our other defenders.

Aye he can make 20 yard passes. Shame he can't defend any form of cross though

Souttar has more technical ability than any of our other defenders. He still has to prove he can defend to a high standard but he's still a young player. If Tierney performs in the up and coming Champions League qualifier I'd have him as first choice. He's a natural defender, and I can't actually remember anyone beating him. Robertson second choice or further up the park. Kingsley is 5ft 10 in, so not a great option at centre back.

Fabio Cannavaro was 5ft 9 and one of the best defenders in the last 20 years so the height argument is a load of shite.

Archived