Match of the Day Thread 16/17

nelsjfc

On 3/20/2017 at 09:42, accies1874 said:

Murphy was banging on about how poor Aguero had been this season. Shearer simply said "How many goals has he got? 25." That shut him up completely .

I don't actually agree with that. It's a response by a goal scorer to cover up any short comings. 'All he does is score goals' is a criticism of a player, not a compliment eg Kris Boyd. Just scoring goals is no longer enough so it's entirely feasible that Aguero could be contributing little outside of the box but still knocking them in being the great goal scorer he is. He's also missed quite a few he'd normally score so that can also be classed as a bad season by his high standards. He may have scored 25 but he should have had a load more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commentary on this first game got me a seething mess... the "costa gets a bad press but showed good sportsmanship" cause he said a boy was injured. Plus other wee bits like the over-selling of any kind of a title race

1 hour ago, Tartan Dave said:

Commentary on this first game got me a seething mess... the "costa gets a bad press but showed good sportsmanship" cause he said a boy was injured. Plus other wee bits like the over-selling of any kind of a title race

My favourite bit about that was the angle that looked like he was pushing Dann onto the ground.

Not suite as bad as the commentary that seemed to want Harry Winks to have a bad injury. Said something like "I hope that's worse than it looks" when he meant the opposite. 

Also looked up the Zaha goal on YouTube that Jonathan Pearce said was one of the great international goals from midweek. It was basically a decent enough strike from the edge of the box following some ropey Russian defending. 

On 01/04/2017 at 22:44, Tartan Dave said:

On 02/04/2017 at 00:08, Miguel Sanchez said:

My favourite bit about that was the angle that looked like he was pushing Dann onto the ground.

Jonathan Pearce is a total bellend. 

In two minds over Coutinho's goal. On the one hand it was a very very good goal, and as a neutral enjoyable to watch, but he went for a very tricky shot that required a lot of skill that 9 times out of 10 would miss. Taking that sort of risk when you are almost a yard ahead of the nearest defender and the Keeper isn't anywhere near you seems needless. He could have taken a touch and had a far far easier shot.

Obviously it doesn't matter as he scored it, but had he missed that going for the spectacular if I were a fan I would be raging.

Good to see Lampard on. Mainly because it decreases the odds of Ian Wright appearing in future shows.

Would like to see him become a regular. He's usually the best stand-in for Gary Neville on MNF, and MotD really doesn't have any decent pundits. I like Shearer but that's about it.

Surely Everton's first bit of transfer business this summer (apart from replacing Lukaku and Barkley and Jagielka and Barry) will be a new 'keeper? Robles is dreadful; what was he doing to give away that penalty :lol: 

I had the misfortune to catch part of Pearce pontificating on the Spurs game and he deliberately referred to an incident ending with 'a corner ball' to Spurs rather than a goal kick to Bournemouth. I genuinely can't decide whether Pearce or Chic Young is the most despicable, hateful, low life cretin I'm forced to subsidise with my tv tax.

I had the misfortune to catch part of Pearce pontificating on the Spurs game and he deliberately referred to an incident ending with 'a corner ball' to Spurs rather than a goal kick to Bournemouth. I genuinely can't decide whether Pearce or Chic Young is the most despicable, hateful, low life cretin I'm forced to subsidise with my tv tax.

Yep, he definitely said corner ball. Fortunately there was nothing heavy at hand or I might have lobbed it at the TV.

Archived