Oliver Burke

Contra

10 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

burke in the championship will do him good, yet a few years ago when jordan rhodes was scoring for fun in said same league it wasnt good enough as fletcher was playing in the epl :lol:

The masses can be so fickle at times

Is it even comparable? 

Very surprised he's not going on this B team tour of Central America.  It's going to f**k our ranking points anyway, so what harm is there in playing the guys who are too old for the 21s?  I'd have taken Gauld along too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it even comparable? 

Well yeah, rhodes was scotlands most inform club striker for nearly a full qualifying campaign and people knocked the idea of him for scotland because he was nproven in the epl, now apparently burke going to the championship and playing well is good enough when rhodes in the same league wasnt good enough 

17 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Very surprised he's not going on this B team tour of Central America.  It's going to f**k our ranking points anyway, so what harm is there in playing the guys who are too old for the 21s?  I'd have taken Gauld along too.

He's not too old for the U21s.  He's in the squad for the Toulon tournament.

Well yeah, rhodes was scotlands most inform club striker for nearly a full qualifying campaign and people knocked the idea of him for scotland because he was nproven in the epl, now apparently burke going to the championship and playing well is good enough when rhodes in the same league wasnt good enough 

I don't think it was the 'unproven in the EPL' argument that kept Rhodes out, it was more the 'he doesn't have the link up and lone striker style of play that we need' one.

Still, I agree we shot ourselves in the foot by not capitalizing on his form during that period.

23 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I don't think it was the 'unproven in the EPL' argument that kept Rhodes out, it was more the 'he doesn't have the link up and lone striker style of play that we need' one.

Still, I agree we shot ourselves in the foot by not capitalizing on his form during that period.

He also didn’t seem to be one of Strachans mates which added another hurdle onto being selected 

31 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Im certain a few people used the epl comment when defending their choice of Steven fletcher over rhodes 

Im certain a few people used the epl comment when defending their choice of Steven fletcher over rhodes 
Definitely was mentioned, yeah.
Re Burke, the thing with him is that he still hasn't found his level. He's capable of brilliant flashes (see his Forest highlights) and has elite level athletic attributes (one of the top 3 fastest in world football I think?) but hasn't really found a groove anywhere. Hoping he storms the championship and - ideally - comes back up with WBA as one of their key players. Dont think a move to another club would help him at this stage - unless he is frozen out at the Hawthorns.

Its no been ideal for him past 2 seasons but compared to Gauld he has experienced a higher foreign league (wiki shows 25 appearances which I was a tad suprised at). And has made a dozen appearances in the premiership. Im hoping West Brom play him in the championship next season as he is proven there and can then possibly go straight back up and make a better go of the premiership.

I watched a decent bit of Burke at Leipzig - when he came on as a sub (which he did often) he generally made a difference. On from the start he didn’t seem to do much. Frustrating that he has then went to a poorer league and had a pretty hopeless season.

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

Its no been ideal for him past 2 seasons but compared to Gauld he has experienced a higher foreign league (wiki shows 25 appearances which I was a tad suprised at). And has made a dozen appearances in the premiership. Im hoping West Brom play him in the championship next season as he is proven there and can then possibly go straight back up and make a better go of the premiership.

Most of those appearances he got about 11 minutes.

Rhodes and Boyd are the two most natural goalscorers Scotland has had since mccoist, both were completely ignored, we never scored any goals and never qualified for fk all.  Go figure.  Some might have built their teams round them.

Rhodes has not been the same arguably since he left Huddersfield or at least blackburn. At Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday hes been pretty terrible. I agree he should have had more caps between 2009 - 2015 as should Boyd but not the same quality as Griffiths and don’t feel Rhodes are Boyd would have transformed our fortunes.

1 hour ago, skippy2015 said:

Rhodes has not been the same arguably since he left Huddersfield or at least blackburn. At Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday hes been pretty terrible. I agree he should have had more caps between 2009 - 2015 as should Boyd but not the same quality as Griffiths and don’t feel Rhodes are Boyd would have transformed our fortunes.

We'll never know now.  We certainly couldn't have done any worse and we certainly would have been more likely to score goals.  Griffiths is already going the same way, he should have more than double the amount of caps he currently has.

57 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Burke is still a youngster who's had tremendous experience so early in his career, Gareth Bale was written off at his age after a ropey start and the rest is history.

Funny how you say that about Burke but call gauld 'dugmeat'.  One might suggest you're an idiot.

We'll never know now.  We certainly couldn't have done any worse and we certainly would have been more likely to score goals.  Griffiths is already going the same way, he should have more than double the amount of caps he currently has.

Pretty positive we could have done worse.