Oliver Burke

Contra

He certainly didn't do himself much good in hopes for starts up front, he just didn't know where to be or which runs to make.

Unfortunately with the way they play I can't see starting on the wing; hopefully he gets another chance through the middle and shows a bit more.

Shocking, he's throwing away some great development years in a diddy league when he could be playing week in week out at Huddersfield playing the proper way. What a waste he'll be.

I agree but got to be realistic about his performance today which wasn't great. First half was very scrappy though no player really stamped there authority the first half. I'm not overly concerned about a quiet game as long as Leipzig continue to improve him as a player.

Why is anyone even slightly concerned about him having little impact in one league game? The manager clearly rates him highly and talks him up whenever he's given the chance, he's not going to abandon him after one or even a handful of ineffective games. 

Everycunt on this section of the board is absolutely gagging to give a final appraisal of our young players, to determine whether they're brilliant or shite before they reach the age of 21. No comprendi.

Given our dearth of attacking options it has to be very tempting to start him through the middle in the upcoming matches.  His pace and directness can trouble defences and he adds something different to our team, but there are still glaring defensive issues with his game which could get exposed if he plays out wide.  It would make sense to try it out against Canada at least.

Given our dearth of attacking options it has to be very tempting to start him through the middle in the upcoming matches.  His pace and directness can trouble defences and he adds something different to our team, but there are still glaring defensive issues with his game which could get exposed if he plays out wide.  It would make sense to try it out against Canada at least.

I'd rather see Phillips play there; he shares many similar attributes, but I just feel he's more polished and thus would be more suited to being the central focal point.

ETA:

I'd play Burke as well, just on the wing.

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Are Canada any good these days?  They've been poor historically but with the MLS getting bigger and more competitive, one would imagine they're probably alright now.

I can answer this, and the answer is "Not Really".  We have a couple of good younger players coming in such as Cyle Larin, but we haven't been able to reap the benefits of a strong MLS as much as we would like due to the domestic player rules being slanted in favour of Americans.  For example an American player could be considered "Domestic" on a Canadian based MLS team (Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver) but Canadians were not able to be considered "Domestic" on American based teams.  This will change starting next year as the Canadian Soccer Association has signed a new deal with MLS to modify the rules.  We recently appointed Jason De Vos (Dundee United fans will remember him) as Director of Development so hopefully he can help improve the development of younger players.

Just now, senorsoupe said:

I can answer this, and the answer is "Not Really".  We have a couple of good younger players coming in such as Cyle Larin, but we haven't been able to reap the benefits of a strong MLS as much as we would like due to the domestic player rules being slanted in favour of Americans.  For example an American player could be considered "Domestic" on a Canadian based MLS team (Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver) but Canadians were not able to be considered "Domestic" on American based teams.  This will change starting next year as the Canadian Soccer Association has signed a new deal with MLS to modify the rules.  We recently appointed Jason De Vos (Dundee United fans will remember him) as Director of Development so hopefully he can help improve the development of younger players.

Bit of a shite rule being just in favour of the Yanks.  Good to see its getting changed.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Bit of a shite rule being just in favour of the Yanks.  Good to see its getting changed.

I'm glad it is getting changed. Before De Vos worked for the CSA, he was a pundit and a fairly vocal critic of the CSA and these rules, now that he is working for them it's good that he appears to be getting things done.

Burke? Phillips? Calm down we all know Martin will play up front with Forrest on the right.

Why does Forrest get a hard time? Yes he's had plenty of miserable games domestically and internationally but he's come on as a player this year and done well at Wembley. If he was in a similar situation to Armstrong right now, i.e. No caps then there'd be a big fuss made over him getting called into the squad after the season he's had.

Forrest is OK, little more than that. At times he can be good, but for the most part he's average, occasionally drifting into horrific. Like most bog standard Scottish Premiership wingers, I guess. He's probably better than someone like Jamie Walker, but it isn't by much. 

Compare his stats playing in the Premiership (5 goals, 4 assists) against Scott Sinclair on the other flank (14 goals, 5 assists) and you can see he just isn't that good, even in a side completely destroying the league in front of them. Stuart Armstrong has more goals and assists from the middle of the park, in less appearances. Lustig has the same amount of assists, in less appearances, from right back. Same goes for Kieran Tierney, Leigh Griffiths and Patrick Roberts, all in significantly less game time. 

Phillips, Burke, Fraser, Ritchie and Snodgrass should all be used on the wing before him. Probably Anya too although I'm probably basing that on past Scotland performances rather than current form. I don't think Forrest should be in the squad but he will be. And he'll probably start, too.