Danske Bank Irish Premiership 2016/17

Ivo den Bieman

The season already well and truly underway in Northern Ireland. Some eye-catching results already, particularly champions Crusaders 6-0 opening day win over Ballymena.

Linfield and Cliftonville look like joining them in the top 3 over the season. whilst there are several other decent sides in contention for other trophies: Glenavon, for example; newly promoted Ards also look like making a better fist of it than last time they played at this level. Meanwhile Carrick Rangers have been hammered twice already and it looks like a long season may lie ahead for them.

anyway, the new thread for NI league football; the old one seems to have disappeared in the great summer cull...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good point for Linfield, snuffing out Crusaders in a goal-less draw at Seaview.

Big win for Glenavon over Cliftonville at Mourneview; Ards also seeing off Portadown to continue their good start.

Dungannon Swifts turning over Coleraine 4-0 will please jacksgranda no end :lol:

On 12/08/2016 at 19:13, Ivo den Bieman said:

The season already well and truly underway in Northern Ireland. Some eye-catching results already, particularly champions Crusaders 6-0 opening day win over Ballymena.

Linfield and Cliftonville look like joining them 

Sure linfield'll do just fine if they get decisions like the other night against coleraine

• 3 weeks later...

Glentoran manager Alan Kernaghan quits after last night's humiliating League Cup defeat from Annagh United, following Saturday's 4-1 thrashing from Coleraine (just slipped that in as a by the way).

If that doesn't draw AFJ out, nothing will.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37228645

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 18:50, Ivo den Bieman said:

Good point for Linfield, snuffing out Crusaders in a goal-less draw at Seaview.

Big win for Glenavon over Cliftonville at Mourneview; Ards also seeing off Portadown to continue their good start.

Dungannon Swifts turning over Coleraine 4-0 will please jacksgranda no end :lol:

Quite frankly I didn't expect anything else after nearly beating Linfied.

Anyway, Oran Kearney seems to have steadied the ship for another season of consistent inconsistency.

Dungannon and Ards have surprised me with their good starts, will give it another month before I start drawing conclusions/making wild predictions/speculating madly.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 09:07, Jacksgranda said:

Glentoran manager Alan Kernaghan quits after last night's humiliating League Cup defeat from Annagh United, following Saturday's 4-1 thrashing from Coleraine (just slipped that in as a by the way).

If that doesn't draw AFJ out, nothing will.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37228645

Annagh United lost 9-0 yesterday to Derg View...

• 4 months later...

Time for an update.

Crusaders are strong favourites for 3 in a row (it is 3 isn't it???), 7 points clear after another win in the north Belfast derby, 1-0, a deserved win by all accounts. Linfield hanging in there, but now needing other teams to do them favours, I think. The Blues undid their win over Crusaders by losing to Coleraine.

Cliftonville are third with Coleraine leapfrogging Ballymena, who lost 2-0 to Linfield, while winning 2-1 at Ballinamallard, not their happiest of hunting grounds IIRC.

I'm surprised at the amount of goals Ballymena are still conceding, I thought David Jeffrey would have that sorted by now.

Portadown are doomed after that points deduction, and Carrick have a mammoth task to get out of the relegation play off spot, 9 points behind Ballinamallard after losing 1-0 to Dungannon Swifts at Taylor's Avenue.

Just as well Ards got off to a good start, they've lost their way of late, another defeat on Friday, losing 3-1 at home to Glentoran, who are having another dreadful season. Ards were 2 up against the Crues the other week, to have the Blues fans ecstatic, only to lose 4-2. However Ards have enough points in the bag to be safe, I'm sure, sitting 9th, 12 clear of Carrick.

Crusaders face a tricky trip to Mourneview next week, Glenavon are no pushovers, while Linfied travel to Dungannon, a home and away win respectively would open things up again. Carrick are at the Ballymena Showgrounds, can't see them getting anything there, and Ballinamallard travel to The Oval, anything could happen there.Coleraine will be looking to keep ahead of Ballymena by beating Ards at the Coleraine Showgrounds - however, I wouldn't put the mortgage on it.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 16:48, LongTimeLurker said:

What happened to AFJ on TFS threads? Hope he isn't sitting in the huff in his Geoghegan conservatory after finally getting driven away by all the tedious Mrs Bunfield patter.

I haven't gone away you know, as someone odious once said.

Just took a break from some tedious bores and bigots.

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 19:00, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I haven't gone away you know, as someone odious once said.

Just took a break from some tedious bores and bigots.

That's no way to talk about me, T_K and LTL...

Just noticed this thread. Was over at Glens v Blues in October. Got a day pass for the buses and managed to sneak into Windsor for a few photos and talk to a couple of workies. Certainly looked different from my last visit in 1998...I feel a blog post coming on :lol:

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

As you were at the top, with the top 5 all winning. Ballinamallard got 3 vital points in their battle to avoid the play off spot, winning 1-0 at The Oval.

I saw Ballinamard in 2012 the first year they came up. Seem to have established themselves in the top flight? Are they punching above their weight or is it about financial backing?

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

I saw Ballinamard in 2012 the first year they came up. Seem to have established themselves in the top flight? Are they punching above their weight or is it about financial backing?

Don't know, to be honest. Northern Ireland being the size it is means there is always room for a village team in the top flight. I suppose they haven't a lot of competition down there, so the might be looked upon as the Fermanagh team, and get sponsorship from all sides.

I'd assumed the Mallards' Fisher Stand was named after the late Bertie Fisher of Fisher Engineering fame, who was killed in a helicopter crash, although he was more into rallying, but it's named after their late president, Tommy Fisher (who may well have been a relation).

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 13:29, The Mantis said:

I would attribute a lot of it to their excellent youth system, and the fact they are the only Fermanagah team.

Meanwhile, Linfield are a goal down to one of the most dreadful Portydown team's I can ever remember - hand the title to Crusaders. We have had so many chances this season, and screwed them all up. Even worse, Sky are showing a truly dreadful advertisement for the Irish League, live on national television.

Archived