Danske Bank Irish Premiership 2016/17

Ivo den Bieman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 15:51, denltfc said:

Might have to wander up for my annual trip north for the cup final day out on the piss :thumsup2

There have been a few of those mate :whistle See if Gary will come up with you, although I know he's off to Croatia for the ROI U17's tournament in June, so he might not be able to. I was at St Pat's v Limerick with him on Friday night.

Great win for Linfield yesterday meaning the title race is well and truly on, although the Crues should still have enough to get over the line. They started well yesterday and had me worried, (my permanent state at big games), but after the first fifteen we dominated in front of a bumper (by IL standards) crowd. Great day in the sunshine.

Guess who is drinking beer right now? This will be one of the greatest Lazarus like comebacks if we can complete the job next week. Am planning on calling in a favour and getting a ticket for the home end. Watching the scores on line in work today was Proddie purgatory.

As has been alluded to above, Linfield are top after a stunning 5-1 at third placed Coleraine. I was in Coleraine yesterday - still am - but I couldn't persuade my companion to go to the game. Lucky me! If I was going to nominate a match to lose against the Blues it would have been this one rather than the Cup Final. But not by 5-1! And not after being a goal up!

However, that win would have been of no avail had the Crues not dropped points at Ballymena. David Jeffrey must have had his troops fired up to help out his old side, and they did just that, winning 3-0.

Surely Linfield must be odds on to snatch the title, notwithstanding their last match is at Solitude, while Crusaders take on Glenavon at Seaview. North Belfast will be heaving next Saturday.

Can't see Linfield blowing it now although it would be hysterically funny if they did, it'll fire up the Cliftonville players not wanting to see Linfield clinch it at their place but to be fair Linfield look the part now, can see next season being one way traffic for them if this continues.

Cliftonville 1 Linfield 3

Crusaders 6 Glenavon 1

So congratulations to Linfield - I'd rather the Crues had have won it myself, but you can't fault the Blues, they kept plugging away and deserved it at the end up.

Portadown relegated, a long time ago, and Carrick Rangers in the relegation play off. Ards survived quite comfortably as did the "wee" teams - Ballinamallard and Dungannon. The Swifts are actually in the Europa League play-offs with Glenavon, Cliftonville and Ballymena, so well done them.

Coleraine have automatically qualified for the Europa League.

I watched the Irish League highlights programme there on the IPlayer and while it's mostly fine (especially considering it can't have a very large budget), some of the camera work is appalling. I'm talking about the Glentoran-Ards game in particular. It was like the cameraman had never watch a football match on TV before. He even zoomed in for a close up on a player while he was taking a penalty!

amazing title win and come-back from Linfield. Was a decent standard of a game against Cliftonville.

I must admit I thought David Healy was a bit of an "emotion" led appointment but he's proved everyone wrong this season.

Warrenpoint return to replace Portadown next season and the play off is hard to call, between Carrick Rangers and Institute.

It's fair to say that Healy's appointment was as much about profile as anything else , hard to say how long he'll be there for ,long term managers like Jeffery,Coyle and McFall just stuck in the Irish league and had great careers who now have legendary status at local level,the guys who move away tend to fall on their arse a bit, i think he'll have a lot of success at Linfield if he stays.

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

amazing title win and come-back from Linfield. Was a decent standard of a game against Cliftonville.

I must admit I thought David Healy was a bit of an "emotion" led appointment but he's proved everyone wrong this season.

Warrenpoint return to replace Portadown next season and the play off is hard to call, between Carrick Rangers and Institute.

....and Ballyclare Comrades mate, who are 1-0 v Institute after the first leg. I expect Carrick to prevail.

Archived