Danske Bank Irish Premiership 2016/17

Ivo den Bieman

Irish Cup quarter finals this weekend, and some cracking ties.

Crusaders v Linfield - not "the" derby, but an interesting derby nonetheless, (and first v second). Crues to edge it on their drastic plastic.

Ballymena United v Coleraine - another feisty derby pitting League Cup winning Ballymena against in-form Coleraine. Hard to call. A replay needed maybe?

Dungannon Swifts v Warrenpoint Town - Point will have a point to prove and are running away with the Championship, but another close tie with Swifts edging it.

Portadown v Glenavon - The holders away to struggling rivals Portydown, but Mid-Ulster derbies are always keenly fought. Glenavon will prevail, if they turn up.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other games are available.

Ballymena 0 Coleraine 4 Easy, easy! (The Bannsiders even missed a penalty. Well, we felt sorry for them.)

Portadown 0 Glenavon 5 The Lurgan Glens missed a penalty, too.

Dungannon Swifts 2 Warrenpoint Town 1 (a,e,t.)

Semi-final draw: Linfeld v Dungannon Swifts  (at Mourneview Park)

Glenavon v Coleraine (at the Ballymena Showgrounds)

First game post split is Linfield v Crusaders. The Crues are still firm favourites for the title, but a Linfield win might just set a few nerves jangling with four games left. One thing is for sure; a Crusaders win will end the title race there and then.

8 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I didn't realise it was the family of a Derry player that died in the horrific Buncrana pier accident last year.

Reminds me that it led to the most disgraceful actions of a journalist to get a story I've ever heard of. Louise James lost two sons, mother, partner and sister and was obviously suffering unimaginably yet a week after the tragedy the journalist, Alison O'Reilly, went along to the wake with own kids as cover and posed as a grieving mother. She passed on her sympathies to Louise, spoke to her then turned the private conversation into a sensationalised exclusive interview for the Irish edition of the Mail on Sunday. Wouldn't be surprised if the vile bitch got a bonus for it.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

I didn't realise it was the family of a Derry player that died in the horrific Buncrana pier accident last year.

Didn't realise that either until tonight when I was driving home and heard it on the news - the Derry City CEO/chairman was being interviewed

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Didn't realise that either until tonight when I was driving home and heard it on the news - the Derry City CEO/chairman was being interviewed

I just read it on a link on that BBC page. Imagine the publicity if it had happened in England or Scotland but it must have passed with little or no comment.

McLean continues to be an utter chunt as he eulogises Machine-gun Marty on Sky after last night's game, but this is  the TFS thread, so back to business.

Blues cruise and Crues lose. Well...... almost. The Crues lost but the Blues made very hard work of winning at Ballinamallard (the epitome of how a small club should be run IMO). The gap is back to four points and we play the Crues in the next league game, so it is all getting very interesting indeed and we may have a real title race on our hands after all.

On the down side, we have clawed them back 4/5 times this season and, every single time, we have fecked up in the very next game, sometimes against very ordinary teams.

2 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

McLean continues to be an utter chunt as he eulogises Machine-gun Marty on Sky after last night's game, but this is  the TFS thread, so back to business.

Blues cruise and Crues lose. Well...... almost. The Crues lost but the Blues made very hard work of winning at Ballinamallard (the epitome of how a small club should be run IMO). The gap is back to four points and we play the Crues in the next league game, so it is all getting very interesting indeed and we may have a real title race on our hands after all.

On the down side, we have clawed them back 4/5 times this season and, every single time, we have fecked up in the very next game, sometimes against very ordinary teams.

How very dare you...

2 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

I said "sometimes". :thumsup2

Coleraine are probably the form team in God's Own Country at present.

Aye, never seem to manage it over a season, though, it's usually half a season after a dreadful start and then the first half of the following season, followed by a dreadful finish.

Archived