Elgin city v Edinburgh city

I've been outside Borough Briggs but never been in so it will be a first for me. I don't think many are coming but there will be a few of us. The City bus is primed and ready for the trip! 

bus.jpg

(The Lichties fans should recognise this mode of transportation... )

Can't make the away games for the first half of the season but I do plan to make an effort for the second coming in the new year. I've offered to sponsor our goalie Calum Antell's away kit if he keeps a clean sheet for this one on Saturday against Elgin. A clean sheet at the next home game gets Calum's Home kit sponsored. 3 clean sheets in a row at any time before the end of the season gets Calum's whole kit and caboodle sponsored.

Good win for Elgin against a very poor team. Take Beattie out of that team and they're nothing. Was impressed with Elgin's defence esp Stewart. Sutherland deserved MotM and if he carries on playing like that we'll forget about Easton very soon. Decent crowd of 610. Also though ref was decent, allowing play to continue if there was an advantage.

when you're turning out to be the lame wildebeests of the League the fixture list suddenly looks like this:

lions.jpg

Things we learned today: 
1) there actually is such a time as 7 a.m. on a Saturday morning. F*ck me I never knew. 
2) the long trip is nearly worth it- Elgin are a great club with a good bunch of lads. And good pies, which is the main thing!
3) when you support a team who were originally formed to be the Queens Park of the East, 38 years after professionalism was officially allowed by the SFA and who were regularly thrashed during their first League career (including giving East bloody Fife their record victory) a slow start to this campaign pales into insignificance. And the Spartans are still in the Lowland League.. :lol: 

2) the long trip is nearly worth it- Elgin are a great club with a good bunch of lads. And good pies, which is the main thing!

The pies do tend to be nice as this level, I must say.....but wait until you go to Arbroath, it might be small but the Steak & Black Pudding pie is to die for.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Without sticking the knife in too much, who were the last side in the national divisions to suffer 7 straight defeats in all comps to start off the season? the Shire?

I can't answer that but: Edinburgh City have a long way to go before they can beat Meadowbank Thistle's 14 straight defeats in League and Cup in their inaugural season in 1974/75. (Beating Brechin City 1-0 away at Glebe Park in game 15)

Meadowbank went on to become a very successful part-time team in the end winning Division 2 in season 1986/87 and nearly promoted to the Premier League. not to mention later stages of Cup competitions. And this was done with a very small squad with no youth system behind them.  Edinburgh City are, and can be, bigger than that. Given time.

15 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

I can't answer that but: Edinburgh City have a long way to go before they can beat Meadowbank Thistle's 14 straight defeats in League and Cup in their inaugural season in 1974/75. (Beating Brechin City 1-0 away at Glebe Park in game 15)

Meadowbank went on to become a very successful part-time team in the end winning Division 2 in season 1986/87 and nearly promoted to the Premier League. not to mention later stages of Cup competitions. And this was done with a very small squad with no youth system behind them.  Edinburgh City are, and can be, bigger than that. Given time.

Cheers - the win will come no doubt before that. I guess it's good the City manager rewarded his squad by keeping the majority of them and only adding a few new faces but to be competitive in L2 they will need to strengthen surely?

17 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Cheers - the win will come no doubt before that. I guess it's good the City manager rewarded his squad by keeping the majority of them and only adding a few new faces but to be competitive in L2 they will need to strengthen surely?

We (City) already have a very large squad. 27 players and counting. If Gary Jardine signs any more, I won't be able to fit them on my Fanzine team sheet in the centrefold spread  (Image under construction). Notwithstanding a Russian Oligarch from new Edinburgh based "Sputnik News" buying shares in the Citizens or my wife winning the lottery and putting up a large wad, I don't think we can spend more money on players.

Go%20Tell%20The%20Spartans%20FC%20Page%2

I appreciate that - what I meant was that by keeping most of last year's team the manager has shown loyalty to those who won the title two years in a row but it also highlights a difficulty - if they're not up to it, how do you fix it? With L2 sides bound by the window, he has 2 weeks to rethink by doing a bit of wheeling and dealing or prepare for a tough autumn. I really hope they do well and can pull away from the bottom.

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

I appreciate that - what I meant was that by keeping most of last year's team the manager has shown loyalty to those who won the title two years in a row but it also highlights a difficulty - if they're not up to it, how do you fix it? With L2 sides bound by the window, he has 2 weeks to rethink by doing a bit of wheeling and dealing or prepare for a tough autumn. I really hope they do well and can pull away from the bottom.

Some much needed weeding is best left for the springtime. It's true that the garden isn't looking very rosy at the moment in the City but we're not in the Chelsea Flower show after all. It takes time for a caterpillar to become a fully fledged butterfly. We'll survive.

Archived