New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There's a decent piece in The Scotsman in the wake of the programme, that says the problem was we weren't parochial enough.  I tend to agree with it.

What is the argument for that?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

What is the argument for that?

It was in response to Mercer claiming that the opposition he faced over a merger was so parochial.  It was also reflection of the less convincing part of the programme which talked of third rate imports.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Interestingly the "viva localism" angle completely avoided discussing Meadowbank being uprooted to Livingston, Clyde to Cumbernauld, Airdrie bodysnatching Clydebank, etc.

Maybe this week, though.

Will they mention all of the other clubs who have been in administration (and not just the liquidated Oldco)?

Whilst Celtic were hours away from it before McCann stepped in, we were the first to actually be put in administration in recent years, after having been asset stripped by Hugh Scott. 

For anyone interested, here's our section from a TV program in 2001 discussing the plight of clubs in or facing administration. The sound is missing from the opening few seconds or so.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was in response to Mercer claiming that the opposition he faced over a merger was so parochial.  It was also reflection of the less convincing part of the programme which talked of third rate imports.

In which way should Hibs and Hearts fans have been more parochial when not wanting their clubs to become one?

Third rate is a lazy description to bandy around. What level are they measuring it against? How can they measure the value of a foreign import to St Johnstone as opposed to Celtic? Where should we have been more parochial in this area?

9 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

In which way should Hibs and Hearts fans have been more parochial when not wanting their clubs to become one?

Third rate is a lazy description to bandy around. What level are they measuring it against? How can they measure the value of a foreign import to St Johnstone as opposed to Celtic? Where should we have been more parochial in this area?

It was what Mercer stupidly characterised as 'parochial' that the write was endorsing.  ie a recognition of something having history, meaning and value that's worth preserving.

I've already said that the "third rate imports" part of the show was unconvincing, so I've no plans to defend it in an argument.

Just now, 7-2 said:

That's interesting as I take parochial to mean small, insular, non-progressive, only concerned with one's immediate environment or an outlook portray that attitude. 

Yes, that is what it means.  It is pretty much always used pejoratively and that's certainly what the dick that was Mercer, intended.

The writer, I think it was Andrew Smith, was simply picking on this phrase to suggest that attempting to ham fistedly think big, did not actually serve our game terribly well.  It's a view I have sympathy with.

I was going to avoid this given it was a BBC Glasgow programme so it was bound to be a programme about the Old Firm dressed up as Scottish. However, given the good reviews fro a number of decent diddy posters, I thought it was worth looking at, which I've just done.

How wrong. One or two of the other diddy reviewers were spot on. This was just the usual BBC Old Firm fare with a few non bigot brothers moments thrown in. From the very off you knew it was going to be the same...Scotland's game, starting with two of England's greatest manager. who were Scottish, then straight into 'the Rangers.' That is indeed the BBC's view of Scotland game. Sectarianism addressed but excused and brushed off. 

They started it in the 80's, a high point for many as it was the horrifically called New Firm period but was that really discussed? No. Minimal Aberdeen mentions. It was only the starting point for the bigots massive spending, nothing else. What is mostly disappointing about this is not the predictable BBC presentation but the acceptance of numerous diddy fans that this was 'Scottish football' The brainwashing has indeed worked.

As for the bigoted singing. This is of course, illegal. people doing what was supposedly 'acceptable in the 80's' are now paying for it. Will anything be done about the perpetrators by Police Scotland or the SFA, especially about those still involved in the game? Will it f**k. 'Scotland's game' will never change.

Between reading this and your Sportscene post it appears that you have got a pretty big chip on your shoulder

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that is what it means.  It is pretty much always used pejoratively and that's certainly what the dick that was Mercer, intended.

The writer, I think it was Andrew Smith, was simply picking on this phrase to suggest that attempting to ham fistedly think big, did not actually serve our game terribly well.  It's a view I have sympathy with.

Right, sorry. Picked you up wrongly. I agree then. There's nothing wrong with thinking big or progressively but it has to be realistic and attainable. Egotists like Mercer always think they're right and those that disagree are plebs.

11 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

7-2's constant use of the phrase 'BBC Glasgow' is tedious. BBC Scotland is far from biased towards Glasgow. Biased towards the Old Firm? Of course.

As is your jumping in with this post most times I say it. The BBC isn't just football.

Just watched this and thought it was a pretty good watch if nothing else.

A few points:

• Clearly, as with everything in Scottish football, slanted towards the OF.  When they discussed Tommy Burns move to Celtic they didn't even mention our name, or at least I didn't hear it.  
  • Never heard of David Duff - any Hibs fans want to share thoughts on him?  I'll read through the thread so assuming points already made.
  • The video of Rangers players singing the Billy Boys etc didn't shock me and I would assume wasn't a big deal back in the day.
  • Roger Mitchell - tosser.  Whats happened to his Twitter meltdown?

Finally, did STV not show a very similar program a few years ago?  One part about 80s football and then the next about the SPL and the collapse of a few clubs?

On 8/26/2016 at 00:06, The_Kincardine said:

went to Ibrox a lot and never heard a bad word about his signing.

Probably because all of those with an issue never went back you thick c**t. :lol::lol:

13 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

Probably because all of those with an issue never went back you thick c**t. :lol::lol:

You seem to be suggesting that all those who remained (i.e. the current Ibrox support) had no issue whatsoever.

I'm not entirely sure that's what you meant to say.

17 hours ago, 7-2 said:

They started it in the 80's, a high point for many as it was the horrifically called New Firm period but was that really discussed? No. Minimal Aberdeen mentions. It was only the starting point for the bigots massive spending, nothing else. What is mostly disappointing about this is not the predictable BBC presentation but the acceptance of numerous diddy fans that this was 'Scottish football' The brainwashing has indeed worked.

The apparent premise of the series, based on the content of the first show and the preview of the next, is to investigate the apparent 'decline' of Scottish football (or at least the financial mess created by certain clubs and those running the game), as well as other societal changes over time on topics such as sectarianism. So in this case it's perfectly valid to focus on the impact of the 'Souness revolution', rather than Aberdeen: because Aberdeen didn't achieve their success by cranking up spending to the extent that the game in Scotland was fundamentally altered as a result; Aberdeen also didn't have the well-documented, institutionalised sectarianism that surrounded dead Rangers. So given the narrative of the series, Aberdeen's achievements in the early 1980s are not particularly relevant. Indeed - anything in the early 1980s has only a passing resemblance to Scottish football and Scottish society in 2016.

If you were looking for a highlights reel of Scottish teams being successful then I believe a series was produced on that a few years ago. 

I too watched this well after the initial showing but I have seen it now and kept up with this thread as its been pretty interesting.

Few wee things;
Why have reptiles like Mitchell and Traynor on if they aren't going to get grilled? Traynor is a proven fibber and Mitchell was a disaster for our game.

MoJo may well have been brave but he was also thick which possibly helped with the signing. Having said that it was a massive moment which was a good thing as it highlighted the disgrace of the previous signing policy. I'd say Souness was possibly the braver but back then he was arrogance personified so it wouldn't have phased him. Most rangers fans now couldn't care a less a players background now but I clearly remember some going apeshit at the time. I was 16 and lived in the Highlands so not even in the thick of it which to me shows its impact.

The singing in the Rangers dressing room was really uncomfortable to watch. Embarrassing. At least Butcher had the nuts to admit it was wrong to get dragged in, interview Bomber guys[emoji23]. See what he says.

Struggle to work out how matter of fact Mercer was about the merger??? Clearly no idea how football fans feel about their clubs.

The Fergus McCann booing bit does indeed look daft now but Celtic fans were likely totally bricking it about Rangers getting 10 in a row so they would've been a bit scatty I suppose.

I think a few episodes will need to be watched to really work out how effective a programme it'll be but I thought it was decent enough.
Some previous posters have listed some of the total rogues at clubs over the years and when you think of them all its an eye opener to see how vulnerable clubs can be. Be good if these guys could be shamed a bit, particularly Murray.

It'd also be good if our current crop of back slapping, jobs for the boys, cosy up coaches and managers got asked about the players being produced these days.

Finally caught up on this and found it interesting. Like others had no idea about the Duff situation at Hibs. Would love to see an hours worth of that shitshow.

Loved the trailer for the next episode. Popcorn at the ready.

Archived