New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kincardine is basically davie bhoy just his piss stained replica shirt is blue and he sits with a thesaurus every time he posts on here

Watched three minutes of a TV programme then spends three days commenting on it.

That was shown purely as comedy, not a social statement. Sectarianism was a laughing matter to BBC Glasgow then, not something to be ignored.

It's subversive comedy.

7 hours ago, Darren said:

I wish I was as cynical and perceptive now as I was when I was in my early teens. I remember watching the Celtic fans booing Fergus McCann on the day they unfurled the league flag and asking my stepdad: "Did he not save them from going out of business and build a new stadium?"

Around the same time, Hearts defeated Rangers in the Scottish Cup final and my dad (a Rangers fan) tried to belittle the achievement by saying: "Aye, one trophy, well done. We'll be back and will win more in a year than you have done in 36."

While that ended up being the case, I remember thinking how mammoth an achievement it was for Hearts, at the time, to overcome their financial superiority. I also remember thinking: "Where is all that money coming from?" Murray is the root of all evil in Scottish football and not just the downfall of Rangers.

Your dad sounds like an arsehole.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

My only lasting memory of the proposed Edinburgh merger was John Leslie banging on about it on Blue Peter while I was trying to ogle Caron Keating.

Sure it wasn't you ogling the Edinburgh merger while John Leslie was... no.

How did that Duff character get so much influence at Hibs? Was it just simply a case of him rocking up with the money? Did no one bother to ask any questions of him or try to ascertain if he was suitable to run a football club? Not a dig at Hibs specifically, as I know plent of clubs were all too eager to accept anyone with a bit of money (e.g. Romanov, who even we, among others, told to bolt).

Roger Mitchell was a total arsehole though, lest anyone forget.

He turned down the Sky TV deal in favour of trying to set up SPLTV. He then justified it by saying on Radio Scotland that he has floating the idea at an SPL board meeting and that the assorted chairman had backed it, saying that the chairmen were "hard headed businessmen". He said that on Sportsound, I remember it clearly. That board included:

- Dominic Keane, whose club went bust and was subsequently prosecuted for fraud (although not convicted) in relation to his management of Livingston.
- Chris Robinson who had blown so much money in total guff at Hearts that they ended up having to sign a deal to flog their ground.
- John Yorkston, who got Dunfermline into near on eight figures of debt.
- the Marr brothers who at the point Mitchell made his claim were spending around 125% of their turnover on wages.
- John Boyle, who took the first Scottish top flight club into admin inlivingmemory.

Roger Mitchell's idea of the ideal Apprentice team though. What a fucking cock.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

He turned down the Sky TV deal in favour of trying to set up SPLTV. He then justified it by saying on Radio Scotland that he has floating the idea at an SPL board meeting and that the assorted chairman had backed it, saying that the chairmen were "hard headed businessmen". He said that on Sportsound, I remember it clearly. That board included:

- Dominic Keane, whose club went bust and was subsequently prosecuted for fraud (although not convicted) in relation to his management of Livingston.
- Chris Robinson who had blown so much money in total guff at Hearts that they ended up having to sign a deal to flog their ground.
- the Marr brothers who at the point Mitchell made his claim were spending around 125% of their turnover on wages.
- John Boyle, who took the first Scottish top flight club into admin inlivingmemory.

Spot on.

Scottish football does not lack discredited figures.  Mitchell however is just about the worst of the lot.  Come the glorious day, Doncaster will have to hang around for a bit, getting cold, as Mitchell takes his place against the wall.

The problem wasn't that there was money in the game, it was that so many clubs couldn't handle and spent it in such a way that it dragged them down. If clubs had managed it properly then it could've been a huge boon for the game. But so many were run by incompetent or malignant people that it became a disaster.

I remember Geoff Brown saying this when St Johnstone got relegated with about ten points and being dismissed as a sore loser. Fact of the matter is he's been proved correct and the last few seasons at StJ have been a vindication of what he did at the time.

The problem wasn't that there was money in the game, it was that so many clubs couldn't handle and spent it in such a way that it dragged them down. If clubs had managed it properly then it could've been a huge boon for the game. But so many were run by incompetent or malignant people that it became a disaster.

I remember Geoff Brown saying this when St Johnstone got relegated with about ten points and being dismissed as a sore loser. Fact of the matter is he's been proved correct and the last few seasons at StJ have been a vindication of what he did at the time.

Totally spot on

I think the culture of Scottish football couldn't deal with a lot of the 'big money' owners, they just rolled over and let them tickle their tummies. Administrators, fans, the media - no-one *really* questioned even someone like Brooks Mileson, let alone David Murray. The press just loved the big money glamour of it, as did a lot of the fans. The administrators were too insular and parochial to really get a grip of things and make sure that their member clubs were being run properly and to enforce rules, even against the biggest clubs.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It was the clubs who ditched the sky deal, roger was just a figurehead and Rangers were public enemy number one for trying to oppose it.

It was the clubs who ditched the sky deal, roger was just a figurehead and Rangers were public enemy number one for trying to oppose it.

Eh, think you'll find Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers said to stick with Sky as they were tried and tested.
Setanta certainly weren't helped by how easy it was to obtain codes to watch the games on freeview.

Oh absolutely, but it was clear that he was fully into backing it. If I recall correctly the deal didn't offer an increase so the clubs wanted to reject it. Good move lads.

Yeah, I remember it was the Old Firm and Aberdeen who wanted to stick with Sky and vetoed the deal.

No one knew at the time that Setanta were going to try and take on SKY for English football though.
Its taken years and billions of pounds before BT could give them a run for their money.

Everything comes back to the Rangers being victimised doesn't it.

Try and have a balanced view for once ffs

Archived