New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I suspect the irony passed you by - but crowds aren't dwindling, they're high in historical terms and rising at many clubs. So you're guilty of the very "self hating" and talking down you complain of?

Crowds are dwindling. Less than 6500 at Tannadice at the weekend. 4500 at the St Mirren game. 15 years ago those crowds would have been significantly bigger. A few clubs might be bucking the trend - Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. For the others? Crowds are shrinking.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Crowds are dwindling. Less than 6500 at Tannadice at the weekend. 4500 at the St Mirren game. 15 years ago those crowds would have been significantly bigger. A few clubs might be bucking the trend - Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. For the others? Crowds are shrinking.

They're not though

Also 6500 for united in the 2nd tier is absolutely fantastic.

Sure HJ will dish out a fact based telt in due course

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Our average for the first 6 games in 2000/01 was 7,539. Hardly a huge drop, considering we were completely shite then, and we are in the 2nd tier now.

http://dufc.co/news/uniteds-average-attendances-show-healthy-rise/

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

What would the Dundee United V Ayr United crowd have been 15 years ago? 

By way of a comaprison Dundee United v Dumbarton in the First Division in 1995 when we won 8-0 was 5285

10 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

B*llocks. Your assertion and examples.

Fifteen years ago Dundee Utd's average was 7,650... last season it was 7,969 despite getting relegated... so far this season (in Championship) matches 7,058 & 6,472.

St Mirren's was 2,717... last season it was 3,549... so far this season matches 4,997 & 4,517 but admittedly against Morton & Hibs. In all cases for tier 2.

3 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

United's crowds: with league position

2006/07 - 7,147 (9th)
2007/08 - 8,530 (5th)
2008/09 - 8,654 (5th)
2009/10 - 7,821 (3rd)
2010/11 - 7,389 (4th)
2011/12 - 7,482 (4th)
2012/13 - 7,547 (6th)
2013/14 - 7,599 (4th)
2014/15 - 7,878 (5th)
2015/16 - 7,969 (12th)

2016/17 - 6,742

Hardly Dwindling. Increased year on year since 2010 and is only 1200 down on last season after playing two home games against the two clubs (one of which is part time) that are furthest away from Dundee.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

This is down to the view point of the writer of articles in the papers and also if that paper's employees believed that they would make more money by focusing mainly on the biggest two football clubs in Scotland which have the largest fan base and who want to find out what is going on about their club. Back then the newspaper was king, Glasgow based, faster off the mark than TV football news and a more powerful player in influencing public opinion if they chose the right words and they knew it.

As for myself I knew about both potential mergers more so the Edinburgh one but I've never been a tabloid reader, back in the 90's I used ceefax and teletext to catch up or if a paper was lying around doing nothing. It was an eye opener to find out how close both mergers were.

I think now football fans seem genuinely interested and have more knowledge about other clubs than what they used to have, that has certainly changed in the last 20 years with the shift in how now people get their news and information.

Not really. TV was meant to kill off newspapers because it was a more instant media than print which, apart from evening papers, was generally always the day after. TV could broadcast something in seconds should the need arise. 

Papers were also more genuinely regionalised with the major ones, such as the then Glasgow Herald and Scotsman, only being semi nationals. Even TV was more regional. The one major, truly national medium that wasn't was of the course the BBC. Enough said.

49 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

United v St.Mirren in the Premier League in 2000. Crowd? 5,943

DWINDLING

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Rikki Fulton, Gregor FIsher and Gerard Kelly hitting the bigoted nail on the head in this...

11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

That was shown purely as comedy, not a social statement. Sectarianism was a laughing matter to BBC Glasgow then, not something to be ignored.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can people no just enjoy the show instead of all the moaning about the OF? It wasn't that OF centric. They're our 2 biggest clubs by a mile they're obviously going to play a decent part in all of these documentaries. Especially in the era that it was focusing on.

Lichtie, what the Hell is going on?

Once more, I'm totally in agreement with you.

Nobody, but nobody despises the OF more than me, but I felt that the programme was pitched about right given its era.  

It clearly had imperfections, but I thought the focus made broad sense.

Lichtie, what the Hell is going on?

Once more, I'm totally in agreement with you.

Nobody, but nobody despises the OF more than me, but I felt that the programme was pitched about right given its era.  

It clearly had imperfections, but I thought the focus made broad sense.

Worrying times MT.

You've even started spelling Lichtie correctly!!!

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Scottish football is in danger of hating itself to death.

Not just football but P&B itself.  There's a very narrow band of acceptable views 'on here' and it's amusing to see the hoi polloi gang up on those who deviate from the norm.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not just football but P&B itself.  There's a very narrow band of acceptable views 'on here' and it's amusing to see the hoi polloi gang up on those who deviate from the norm.

Leave Norm out of it, his team had a decent result tonight.

Archived