New BBC Documentary Series - Scottish Fitba is Pish

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst the sectarianism is a fairly important issue, I don't it properly fitted in with the narrative of the show about the proliferation of money and perhaps should have been put on a separate show as the last part dragged on a lot. It wasn't as bad as I was expected but more could have been made about the stadium 'boom' as well as more about the Hearts/Hibs and Dundee/Utd Mergers. Like a general build up and build of spending  across the board with a financial arms race in essence with the show ending on Rangers signing Tore andre Flo to finish would be how I would have done it.

The Rangers dressing room going nuts at the Billy Boys with Souness telling someone to join in was pretty eyewatering and must be absolutely toecurling for those guys to look back on you'd hope at least.

Some amount of utter con artists and chancers that've been around Scottish football over the years

- Duff at Hibs, who I didn't know about until the programme tonight.
- Romanov, now hiding in a country with no extradition treaty
- Mileson, who at least had the good grace to die rather than do a runner.
- the old Celtic board
- Peter Marr "I was going to sell the club but then someone battered Rab Douglas so the deals off"
- The ex Celtic guy at Livi who rinsed a lottery winner out of his money.
- the daddy of them all, Craig Whyte. The guv'nor

Jim Traynor crawling out from under his rock was the worst part of that programme. I've never understood why in Scotland the 'too many foreign imports' argument seems to be a perfectly acceptable point to make, when if you made that same 'argument' about any other industry in Scotland you'd rightly be classed as a horrible xenophobe.

Foreign players did not cause clubs to rack up debt and go bust, paying players (from Scotland, and abroad) inflated salaries chasing pipe dreams is what caused the damage. The nationality of the player is totally irrelevant.

10 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

I liked those bits too. Any idea who the Hearts player was that plummed his shot to the left of the goal? Shoulder length curly hair?

f**k knows. Some effort it was:lol:

Didn't recognise any of the Airdrie or Dundee Utd players either.

Thought it was a decent watch. Didn't even know until tonight that the Dundee clubs almost came together. It said it had something to do with the owner and Rab Douglas about the deal falling through can anyone tell me how it happened??

Just now, Sloop John B said:

Whilst the sectarianism is a fairly important issue, I don't it properly fitted in with the narrative of the show about the proliferation of money and perhaps should have been put on a separate show as the last part dragged on a lot. It wasn't as bad as I was expected but more could have been made about the stadium 'boom' as well as more about the Hearts/Hibs and Dundee/Utd Mergers. Like a general build up and build of spending  across the board with a financial arms race in essence with the show ending on Rangers signing Tore andre Flo to finish would be how I would have done it.

I'd agree with that.

They rattled through a bit on "social change", Thatcher and politics that felt vague and unconnected to everything else - the sectarianism bit felt shoehorned in among the money.

I thought the foreigners thing was overly-simplified and somewhat revisionist/overly in hindsight.

They clearly aren't doing it strictly chronologically - I wouldn't be surprised to see the stadium point considered along with SPL and satellite TV next week.

Learned nothing new from tonight. Show hopped all over the shop with little chronological order to it.

Nowhere near enough on the proposed mergers in Dundee and Edinburgh.

Good to see the party tunes in the Rangers dressing room finally being exposed. After the Beeb sitting on it for nigh on three decades. Farcical stuff. Media quite compliant in the strategy of the Old Firm that sectarianism sells.

Celtic fans are utter morons. Fergus McCann should have the ground or training complex named after him.

The fawning over David Murray and nine in a row is always good fun knowing that it ended in liquidation. GIRFUY

Javier Sanchez Broto was there. All the guys Archibald brought over from Spain.

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

I think one of the airdrie players was broto the Spanish goalkeeper we got from them.

Much better than I'd expected.

It started with footage of Law, Dalglish and Jimmy Johnstone, suggesting it was going to lament us no longer producing such players.

However, it settled into something more merely narrative and less ambitious - I think it was the better for it.

The Wallace Mercer stuff was good.  I was a student in England at the time and missed some of the vitriol surrounding it all, so it was fascinating to see it represented here.  

The Mo Johnston stuff probably got too much attention, but I liked the fact that there was no real attempt to suggest that sectarianism was anything other than an enduring OF issue.

I do remember some controversy about the Rangers players' sing along actually.  It was in the papers that Monday, but the pictures made for interesting viewing.

Overall pretty good, but a bit too kind to Souness for my liking.  I also enjoyed Murray's call for someone to display humility.

That told me a few things...

Rab Douglas is now an even bigger hero.

The baldy snake is now an even bigger cock.

The bbc cant help but dive in to sectarianism at any opportunity.

The big hoose must stay open! Bahaha! 

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

David Fernandez who went on to play for Livingston and Celtic. 

6 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Celtic fans are utter morons. Fergus McCann should have the ground or training complex named after him.

Its really easy to say that 20 years on with hindsight but at the time Rangers were spending millions on some of the best players weve ever seen in this League and we were being left behind. At the time, we just couldn't understand why he wouldnt buy players.

Now he's a legend and we should have a statue or name a stand after him, he very much deserves it for saving us. Particularly loved his quote there regarding not spending £10m on a £5m player because it just didnt make sense financially. Obviously we have now seen the impact of the David Murray era (how on earth does this guy not get slaughtered for the part he played in them dying?!)

Many may disagree but for me it also highlighted how far we have come with secterianism over the last 30 years, I always remember it being a lot worse back then and that programme highlighted it. Its nowhere near as bad nowadays and the wee historian guy was spot on when he said its dying now but ironically it gets more attention now that it is dying compared to when it was rife and at its worst.

Archived