Friendly Saturday

Macca1875

Tranent juniors are looking for friendly opposition for this Saturday due to the unfortunate circumstances of Falkirk folding.

Interested parties can contact Robert McNeil club secretary on 07724727813

1 hour ago, Macca1875 said:

Tranent juniors are looking for friendly opposition for this Saturday due to the unfortunate circumstances of Falkirk folding.

Interested parties can contact Robert McNeil club secretary on 07724727813

Does Burnie_man know this  ?

Must be some kind of mistake surely :unsure2:

Who would have thought a "made up" club of 5 years folding :whistle

7 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Does Burnie_man know this  ?

Must be some kind of mistake surely :unsure2:

Who would have thought a "made up" club of 5 years folding :whistle

Thinking the same way newky,he's no been near the LL forum since word leaked out bout the ever likely demise of Falkirk JFC,which has now happened,my local club Whitburn will now be affected by this nonsense,Falkirk knew this was gonna happen weeks ago,they haven't even played a friendly match pre-season.Never nice to see any non-league club fold but burnie man seems to want the EoS league to fold so the EoS clubs can join the East juniors. Now if it was in a fully integrated pyramid with possible progression with them in it then fair enough,but it's not,these clubs in the EoS get regular scottish cup entry and their is possible entry to LL. Only way of getting entry to scottish cup in the juniors is if your licensed. I'm not wholly against what Burnie man is saying regarding a merger or such like, it's just it seems to be, he thinks the juniors are the answer for non-league football in Scotland, when as I've already stated and now with the Falkirk debacle they clearly are not!!

On 10/08/2016 at 08:47, hareskirky said:

The above for me is rubbish as someone who has no allegiances to any grade and who has worked in every grade. People getting desperate and pouncing on one instance rather than looking at the whole picture. 

8 junior teams in the last twenty years have folded,  more than 8 have formed the membership has grown . A handful have went into abeyance and returned. 

If anything the junior grade is the only grade that will increase in numbers steadily over the coming years.  

Youth football,  amateur,  juvenile,  east of Scotland,  all losing members at an alarming rate and they are simply not being replace. 

South of Scotland is in a sorry state clubs struggling to put together teams,  lowland league struggling to find and keep suitable members. 

The juniors is not a perfect environment but they have a very large core of good sometimes big historical clubs who have a solid foundation that will see them last the test of time. 

Good point - the last "mass extinction" of Junior clubs, certainly in the West, was back in the 1960s when a lot of Glasgow clubs - Bridgeton, Dennistoun, Shawfield, Parkhead etc. went to the wall within a few years of each other.

In the last 30-odd years there have only been a handful gone out the game - Baillieston, Blantyre Celtic and Stonehouse Violet are the only ones I can think of since around 1990, which have been balanced out by the arrival of Clydebank, Rossvale, Girvan and Gartcairn. Numbers have remained remarkably stable.

There's been a wee bit more to-ing and fro-ing in the East, but it's mainly in the North where there seem to be a few teams leaving and joining or going into abeyance each year, which is perhaps understandable when you consider a lot of the sides come from fairly isolated areas where they might not be able to raise a team some years.

All things considered though for a grade of football which we're constantly told is in crisis, it's not immediately evident when you look at the number of sides in membership.

Junior crowds are falling,of that no one can deny. The old guys that regularly go are of course year in year out passing on but they're not being replaced by younger lads coming to watch the grade,there is no doubt most young guys watch SPFL football. Whitburn,15/20 years ago regularly got home gates of 300 now it's down to 100/150,even the cup final there never breached 5000. That was between a team from only miles away from Kilmarnock and the other who are probably the best supported team in the juniors. Now 4800 is still a good crowd for non league football but it would easily have been double that 15/20 years ago. My point is I don't believe junior football is the answer for non league football,it too has issues to solve,only with all the grades in a fully integrated pyramid system will we see who are the cream and who are not. Do agree though that 3 feeder leagues(LL East,LL West and SHFL) are the answer and not the current 2 we have now.But you have to start somewhere,can only hope sooner or later heads get banged together!!

Archived