Raith v St Mirren

4152 days by my count! Rudi Skacel could come on with 1 leg and still score a few by us, it's in his DNA to score against Saints.

Think we need to start Sutton, possibly move Clarkson into midfield in place of Hutton if Quinn isn't fit yet. Should be a decent game.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go 4-3-3. Walsh and Morgan as the two wide forwards, with minimal defensive responsibilities. Sutton on to start, but Hardie as an early option if we're struggling. Normally Hutton, Quinn and Mallan in the middle, but maybe push Clarkson back if Quinn's unfit.

I admit I was quite excited by the idea of a 4-4-2 but it doesn't sound like it's working at all. It's too easy to be crowded out. I also wonder if Rae would be tempted to change it to something more defensive for this weekend, given that we're  away to a team that I fully expect to be pushing for top four this season.

After thoroughly enjoying last Saturday I am gutted I am missing this. 

This will be a far harder test and may be a good indicator of where we are. We have so many options it's difficult to pick a team. I hope Locke picks the one that is best suited to play St Mirren and not just a team that looks good on paper - as always this is usually the difference between winning and losing. However with saints fans saying they might be changing formation it may be a bit of pot luck trying to set the right team up.  

We will need to defend better than last week - if we do we have a good chance of 3 points which would be excellent going into two really tough games in the Derby and DU away. 

In the spirit of the amicable nature of the threat I would like everything i have said to be ignored because saints are our bitches, we will pump you silly and the 5 point gap will pretty much have the play off place cemented etc...

Wil saints bring a good crowd do you think? 

The next 3 games will certainly be a great barometer as to what our season will be about.  St Mirren at home, Pars at home and United away.

I don’t harbour any real top 4 ambitions this season…but these 3 games might change my mind.

Same team that started on Saturday, possibly with Davidson in for Thomson (Rangers).  We missed him for the first 15 mins of the second half on Saturday when Ayr had pressure, and I imagine St Mirren will be up to more than them. 

Very impressed with St Mirrens forward signings, would have any of their strikers in our team easily.   But I don’t know much about the rest of their team and by all accounts they toiled against Morton on Saturday. 

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd go 4-3-3. Walsh and Morgan as the two wide forwards, with minimal defensive responsibilities. Sutton on to start, but Hardie as an early option if we're struggling. Normally Hutton, Quinn and Mallan in the middle, but maybe push Clarkson back if Quinn's unfit.

I admit I was quite excited by the idea of a 4-4-2 but it doesn't sound like it's working at all. It's too easy to be crowded out. I also wonder if Rae would be tempted to change it to something more defensive for this weekend, given that we're  away to a team that I fully expect to be pushing for top four this season.

It can work and I don't understand why you are writing it off after 1 game. We don't move the ball fast enough, all too often it's played to the centre of midfield and ends up back with defence instead of working it wide or forward. There has been really good link up play with the 2 strikers in each game as well. We do create chances - granted we were usless on Saturday. Morton played 4-4-2 on Saturday however moved the ball a lot quicker than us hence why they got at us easily in the first 30 mins. Mallan wasn't up to his usual standards so most of the time Hutton was chasing around. Hutton tries to much be like a Steven Gerrard type player and should really just stick to doing the basics and dirty work in midfield as I think he is more than capable of that.

I think the full backs are more reluctant to get forward now, I had noticed in the league cup games that they very rarely get to the byline and instead of bombing down the line they will punt the ball in the box or play it back into midfield. With the 2 wingers we should be switching the play and moving the ball fast. Mallan tries this at times - when it goes wrong he is hounded - however we are horrendous for working the ball forward only to go backwards. The movement up front by Shankland in particular is pretty good and he does make good space for himself. I'd plough on with 4-4-2 however have the full backs pushing on more and helping the likes of Walsh, Morgan and Gallagher down the wings and have Hutton sitting in front of the defence. He has a tendancy to drift forward and leave us exposed, something Mallan can not and should not be relied on to do. On Saturday I'd go with Sutton and Shankland up front and Walsh in for Gallagher.

I see no reason to go defensive on Saturday. Baird, in particular, got given the run around by a small, strong, quick player on Saturday. If we have other options avaliable for centre defence then I'd consider replacing him, if Raith have a similar forward to Morton, however I wouldn't be against Baird being in the team as he is a good defender for the most part.

I think you've answered your opening question: if Morton - fucking Morton - gave us the runaround (they hit the woodwork twice as well as their goal), and only their own innate diddiness stopped them from continuing to batter us, then it shows how easy it can be to play against a 4-4-2. Of course, we'll probably have to stick with is because we really don't have the personnel to play any other way.

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think you've answered your opening question: if Morton - fucking Morton - gave us the runaround (they hit the woodwork twice as well as their goal), and only their own innate diddiness stopped them from continuing to batter us, then it shows how easy it can be to play against a 4-4-2. Of course, we'll probably have to stick with is because we really don't have the personnel to play any other way.

Well, Locke has never deviated from a starting 4-4-2 since he arrived. Experiments with playing two out and out wingers have been mixed at best, and our best results: our 2-0 league win just gone and the 1-1 draw up in Dingwall, came on the back of a lopsided 4-4-2 where our right side midfielder tucked in, allowing our central midfielders a chance to get forward.

We have to play the same midfield on Saturday. We've been honking there in the two home games I've seen but were good in midfield on Saturday and by all accounts Dingwall too (I wasn't there) with Matthews playing as the right midfielder.

Interesting to hear Locke saying Thompson was brought in to 'retain possession' or words to that effect. I don't think anyone can argue a midfield of Davidson and Callachan will do anything other than give the ball away an awful lot.

Would probably play the same team as Saturday myself but got to hope we look a bit more solid at the back. Felt Cuthbert was a bit uncharacteristically shaky too. Jury is still well and truly out on M'Voto.

Hopefully Quinn will be back for this, pretty sure he's been training but not sure if he's still suffering a bit from his injury. We really miss him in midfield.

I think Rae will go 4-4-2 again, but I'm not sure who'll start up front. Might be worth giving Hardie and Sutton a go. Has to be Morgan on the right and Walsh on the left. If Quinn isn't back we don't really have any choice but to play Hutton and Mallan. Clarkson playing there is an interesting idea - and I think Irvine has played defensive mid for Dundee - but I wouldn't be totally confident playing them there. 

Can't make this one anyway, so I'll be relying on St Mirren Radio. 

Morton are a good team I think they deserve more credit than you are giving them here. 4-4-2 has worked for us, it worked against Rangers at home and barring fannying about at the back would've worked at ibrox. I see no reason to change, players need to perform better than Saturday and speed up the play. We are not a bad team and if the personnel suit this formation then we play to their strengths.

Naturally I'm expecting a more difficult game tomorrow than last week against Ayr. Going by last week I think a better forward line will get goals against us so not expecting us to keep a clean sheet tomorrow especially with talk of Cat being out as well. Early days to suggest we've improved or not but if we can get a win here it sets us up nicely for the derby the following week. Hopefully the reduced entry costs manage to entice a few more folk to the game. I've managed to convince a mate of mine to come along who's never been to the Rovers before, should be interesting.

I can't make this game. Yes, I know, shock, horror! My season ticket is even struggling for someone to accompany it.

Hopefully Hardie has an off day and we get another victory. 7-0 will do.

Don't see a clean sheet although in theory in St Mirren are as bad for hoofball as has been made out, M'Voto might actually not cause several heart attacks this week.

Could go either way. Somehow I conspired to miss all four St Mirren matches last season and we didn't lose any. Guess we know which way this one is going...

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Don't see a clean sheet although in theory in St Mirren are as bad for hoofball as has been made out, M'Voto might actually not cause several heart attacks this week.

Could go either way. Somehow I conspired to miss all four St Mirren matches last season and we didn't lose any. Guess we know which way this one is going...

So that's technically 5 given that one was snowed off 15 minutes before kick off.

So who's going to this? First home game of the season, let's get in about them!!

Would be happy for Locke to field the same team that started down at Ayr.

Skacel to open his Rovers account? 

Archived