FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

Can't remember which programme it was on, maybe one of the Jimmy Hill retrospectives, but they showed old footage of a couple of top division managers being interviewed during a game back in the 70's or 80's. It didn't expand on it but it was maybe a trial that never took off at that stage. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
Sutton United has asked reserve goalkeeper Wayne Shaw to hand in his resignation and he has agreed

And he's gone.

Wow! Man, that's harsh. A slap on the wrists would suffice. There will be a massive backlash now.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't see what he's done wrong. He's not thrown a match, he's just made some money off a gullible bookmaker.

Nobody contains when bookmakers take money off gullible customers, like me.

What he's done is spot fixing - people he knew had bet on it and he went and did it. 

I see he's now been emptied. Hopefully he stays off the pies as they aren't good for a man of his age and size. 

It's a harsh punishment. The man's just lost his job for a silly decision likely made in the heat of the moment. Read somewhere that he's involved with the club more than just sub goalie - does a bit of coaching and club maintenance. A high price to pay for a stupid joke. I'd be happier to see the Sun charged.

So essentially, Sutton get dragged through the mud - their manager has said they've been checked to see if any of them made a bet - the goalie in question gets sacked, And the company that essentially caused all of this end up leaving the whole affair in the green with some "great" publicity.

Yay.

32 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
Sutton United has asked reserve goalkeeper Wayne Shaw to hand in his resignation and he has agreed

And he's gone.

Excellent 

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

£400k must be baseline full-time / top-end part-time budget up here?

Berwick's wages 2013-14 - 2014-15 - 2015-16 were £186k - £208k - £191k.

Sutton were averaging 1,518 at New Year. Remember their league play 46 games and there'll be better money in FA Cup and Conference naming rights/TV deals compared to Scottish Championship equivalents - e.g. BTSport show 30 live games (25 league/5 play-offs) + weekly highlights.

Someone involved with a National League side told me they got £8k per game from BT Sport.

So essentially, Sutton get dragged through the mud - their manager has said they've been checked to see if any of them made a bet - the goalie in question gets sacked, And the company that essentially caused all of this end up leaving the whole affair in the green with some "great" publicity.
Yay.

This!! Surely the gambling commission should be hammering the bookmaker here. It's not a kick in the baws from entrapment tbh. It's an entirely dodgy bet for them to organise in the first place.

Archived