FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although they were saying the manager paid for the pitch at Sutton.

5live had a comparison where Wenger gets 8 million a year and the Sutton manager had invested a million into his club.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We've spoken about this before on other threads. All revenue streams seem to be far better. I think the EPL put money in as well, there seems to be more grants for ground improvements or at least more ability to access them. Although they were saying the manager paid for the pitch at Sutton.

That's basically what i'm wondering, why are clubs of similar size down south bringing in significantly better revenue? fair enough at premiership or even championship they have benefited from 20 years of 'the best league in the world' marketing, but 5th tier, surely we are capable of matching them

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I just saw a guy on fb claim the pie scene was staged. Is that what you are suggesting here?

One of the bookies was giving odds of 8 to 1 for him to eat a pie on the bench, he has admitted he knew about the bet. So it's likely that the FA will charge him

The English Football League gets about £70m a year in solidarity payments from the Premier League - no idea whether any of that trickles down to the National League.  The National League also has its own TV deal with BT Sport and its own sponsorship deal with Vanarama, but I couldn't find the value of either.   The prize money from progressing in the FA Cup is also far higher than from the Scottish Cup; the money a National League side earns just by reaching the 3rd Round is about the same as what a Scottish Championship club would get for winning the Scottish Cup.  I think clubs get about 5 times as much per game for televised cup ties too.

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ 
BREAKING: Gambling Commission open investigation into Sutton goalkeeper Wayne Shaw eating a pie during FA Cup tie against Arsenal #SSNHQ

No matter what happens it's been worth it for the charge alone.

The English Football League gets about £70m a year in solidarity payments from the Premier League - no idea whether any of that trickles down to the National League.  The National League also has its own TV deal with BT Sport and its own sponsorship deal with Vanarama, but I couldn't find the value of either.   The prize money from progressing in the FA Cup is also presumably far higher than from the Scottish Cup; the money a National League side earns just by reaching the 3rd Round is about the same as what a Scottish Championship club would get for winning the Scottish Cup.  I think clubs get about 5 times as much per game for televised cup ties too.

I think the Premier League contributed some cash to the Conference when their TV deal went tits up. No idea if they continue to pay them anything.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39037401

Think the Gambling Commission should be having a word with a clearly stupid bookie.

They took a look at the size of the sub goalie and tried to take the Piss, and did it in a stupid bet that was clearly manipulatable to anyone.

He waited till after Sutton had used all three subs and took the Piss right back. He didn't place a bet but clearly knew some pals that had.

Hope the Gambling Commission make whatever bookie it is pay out in full and apologise for being Cockwombles.

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Well, he's under investigation now for it from the Gambling Commission.

I'm not defending his actions, but surely they should also be looking at Sun Bets for posting odds on something that was so easy to manipulate and in no way connected to action on the field.

A wee bit digging suggests BT pay £300,000 a year and Vanarama £700,000 a year. It works out about £7,000 per fixture on TV and £20,000 for league naming. Not huge, but compared for the twenty quid, 2 tap washers and dome lint from down the back of the sofa, it'll be more than Championship clubs get up here?

It wasn't exactly a state secret before the game so the BBC should have just avoided showing him eating the pie instead of making an hilarious feature of it.I'd charge the out of touch b*****ds with collusion too.

1 minute ago, 7-2 said:

It wasn't exactly a state secret before the game so the BBC should have just avoided showing him eating the pie instead of making an hilarious feature of it.I'd charge the out of touch b*****ds with collusion too.

The HEELARIOUS feature was the worst part of it.  Essentially continuing their chucklesome FA Cup banter weekend by showing just how ker-azy these non-league teams are.  I know the game wasn't really much by that point, but do you really need slow motion replays of a fat guy eating a pie?

Archived