The Sons v The Arabs 13/8/16

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Geography teacher was a Dundee United fan who lived in Cardross, so hopefully he'll be at this one. Legend that he is.

Anyway, I have literally no idea how this will go. We're normally decent at home, and can't make the same catastrophic defensive mistkaes that we made last week again, but we don't play with any real shape or tactics...so that could create a few issues. Grant Gallagher is back from suspension, and I'm not joking here when I say I'd give him a chance at RB ahead of Pettigrew who looked absolutely lost against Dunfermline.

Alan Martin

Grant Gallagher Darren Barr Gregor Buchanan Mark Docherty

Joe Thomson

Andy Stirling Josh Todd David Smith

Ryan Stevenson Robert Thomson

Wouldn't be surprised to see this finish 4-3 either way, or 5-2 to Dundee United or 3-2 to us. Both teams are decent going forward but seem to be shaky at the back.

In case anyone is interested here was the teams when the teams last met on League Cup duty in 2013 - Nadir Ciftci came off the bench, set one up and scored 2.

Jamie Ewings

Paul McGinn Andy Graham Aaron Barry Scott Smith

Garry Fleming Chris Turner Hugh Murray Steven McDougall

Kevin Smith Bryan Prunty

Radoslaw Cierzniak

Sean Dillon Calum Butcher John Souttar Andy Robertson

Mark Wilson Paul Paton John Rankin Ryan Gauld 

David Goodwillie Brian Graham

What I'd do to have Paul McGinn back :bairnPlenty of talent in that United team as well, and Mark Wilson :lol:

My Geography teacher was a Dundee United fan who lived in Cardross, so hopefully he'll be at this one. Legend that he is.

Anyway, I have literally no idea how this will go. We're normally decent at home, and can't make the same catastrophic defensive mistkaes that we made last week again, but we don't play with any real shape or tactics...so that could create a few issues. Grant Gallagher is back from suspension, and I'm not joking here when I say I'd give him a chance at RB ahead of Pettigrew who looked absolutely lost against Dunfermline.

Alan Martin

Grant Gallagher Darren Barr Gregor Buchanan Mark Docherty

Joe Thomson

Andy Stirling Josh Todd David Smith

Ryan Stevenson Robert Thomson

Wouldn't be surprised to see this finish 4-3 either way, or 5-2 to Dundee United or 3-2 to us. Both teams are decent going forward but seem to be shaky at the back.

In case anyone is interested here was the teams when the teams last met on League Cup duty in 2013 - Nadir Ciftci came off the bench, set one up and scored 2.

Jamie Ewings

Paul McGinn Andy Graham Aaron Barry Scott Smith

Garry Fleming Chris Turner Hugh Murray Steven McDougall

Kevin Smith Bryan Prunty

Radoslaw Cierzniak

What I'd do to have Paul McGinn back :bairnPlenty of talent in that United team as well, and Mark Wilson :lol:

I seem to remember goodwillie missing an absolute sitter of a header from about 2 years in that game

What we should play:

Martin

Gallagher  --  Buchanan  --  Barr  --  Docherty

Thomson

Smith  -- Stevo  --  Todd  --  Stirling

Thompson

What we will play:

Martin

Pettigrew  --  Buchanan  --  Wright  --  Harvie

Stevo

Smith  --  Gallagher  --  Thomson  --  Stirling

Thompson

I really would like to see Todd up front with Thommo, both are intelligent players but with Pettigrew looking like he's out of his depth I'd have Gall at right back. The only game in which we've actually looked dangerous was the first half against Dunde where Stevo was further up the pitch yet we keep deploying him in a deep role when he can't tackle or run. Sparky should come in at left back but I'm not convinced he will.  I am praying that Darren Barr is fit and we can let Wright sit this out, especially if he's injured. If we can cut out silly mistakes then of course we can take something, but with 17 goals conceded in our last 5 competitive matches, and our only win coming against Cumbernauld Colts in a friendly, then Stevie has a massive job getting this team motivated and concentrated. 

Yup I'd agree with everything The Moonster posted there. The fact that Gallagher is a Defensive Mid/right back (two positions where we are crying our for a natural) means that he will almost certainly play upfront, as a number 10 or on the wing. Stick yer house on it people.

I take it we're all resigned to Thompson up front on his own no matter what?

One of the few bright patches of a dour pre-season was the response after Fleming was injured against Peterheed. McCallum came on, we committed players forward and created some chances.

Dundee Utd are presumably a handier side than the haddock munchers but a bit of bravery in our set-up may reap rewards - particularly since the apocalypse will come and go before we keep a clean sheet.

1 hour ago, Consolidate said:

I take it we're all resigned to Thompson up front on his own no matter what?

One of the few bright patches of a dour pre-season was the response after Fleming was injured against Peterheed. McCallum came on, we committed players forward and created some chances.

Dundee Utd are presumably a handier side than the haddock munchers but a bit of bravery in our set-up may reap rewards - particularly since the apocalypse will come and go before we keep a clean sheet.

I do agree and I said in my post that I'd like to see Todd playing alongside Thommo but until we have a fully fit defence/midfield then there isn't much scope for it.  I also don't think Stevie will be brave enough.

Radoslaw Cierzniak

Was Calum Butcher better than Col Donaldson?

14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Radoslaw Cierzniak

Was Calum Butcher better than Col Donaldson?

Probably. Never really clicked for him at United but I thought Butcher looked promising. I'd have persevered more with him at centre half. He got some bad press for a couple of tasty challenges in a game against Partick, then there was that awful game at McDiarmid when he got sent off and we never really saw him play there again. He had plenty of dig and wasn't afraid to make a challenge. With a bit of coaching I think he could have been a useful centre half (goes without saying that he wasn't going to get that under Jackie).

Archived