Synthwave

Nizzy

It's just the same stuff as Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis came out with (or Kraftwerk when they remembered there were bills to be paid) and everyone else ripped off thereafter such as the Sheffield mob (Human League, Heaven 17, Caberet Voltaire, etc) and the likes of Depeche Mode/Yazoo/Erasure/Whoever Vince Clarke Hasn't Fallen Out With Yet, etc. Been around under a number of different names before.

There were a number of these bands like Suspiria/Intra-Venus hanging around the Goth lot back in the 90s, usually on the Nightbreed/Cleopatra label.

There were a number of these bands like Suspiria/Intra-Venus hanging around the Goth lot back in the 90s, usually on the Nightbreed/Cleopatra label.

I'll dig a bit further, cheers.

I was thinking about creating this very topic! I've been getting right into synthwave recently. Check out Timecop1983 and Kavinsky. A band called S U R V I V E do the theme for Stranger Things and should have an album out soon (this month I think).

There's a youtuber called LuigiDonatello who basically uploads synthwave and other similar things.

On 16/08/2016 at 16:34, StandFree03 said:

Is this the same as retrowave? I've been listening to some lately and I can't decide if I love it or its all too samey.

Yeah, I think they're synonymous. I understand where you're coming from with the samey comment, a lot the stuff you need to be in the right mood to listen to - like this one that is pretty much a summer song:

I think there's enough variation in the genre when you explore further though. I've also just found a synthwave cover of one of my favourite ever songs, so just going to leave it here...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived